Newark to Manhatten

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Rae

Newark to Manhatten

Hello all,

I'm after some info on getting from Newark airport to downtown (think we are probably staying at the Fitzgerald Manhatten). Flight doesn't arrive until 8.00pm from the UK - what are my options regarding price and security? Taxi/train/shuttle bus?

Also, we'll be leaving NY for the UK on an early Sunday morning flight from Newark (about 8.00am) Are the security measures still taking a long time - any tips on how early I should turn up for check-in?

If there is anything else I need to know about using Newark airport, please let me know? Thanks, in advance, for your help - its much appreciated!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Steve

To Manhattan:

SuperShuttle (Blue Van) - shared van service to New York - $20 + tip

Olympia Bus - Bus to Penn Station (or Grand Central). - $11?

Monorail to NJ Transit Train to Penn Station.

http://www.airtrainnewark.com/airtrainnewark/index.html

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Philip

This website gives some information:

http://www.nyctourist.com/travel_newark.htm (click the ground transportation tab)

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:46 AM
MrsWilson

You can also take a yellow cab into Manhattan. It costs $40.00 - $50.00 and you need to arrange this with the uniformed taxi dispatchers you'll find outside Arrivals. Enjoy NYC you lucky person!!!

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:53 AM
al

Steve has basically covered your options, except doesn't the Olympia Bus go to Port Authority Bus Terminal (8th and 42)? That might be your best bet, money-wise.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Viv

I strongly recommend the airtran monorail. It's very fast, very easy, inexpensive, you don't have to worry about getting stuck in traffic, and you don't have to reserve in advance. Personally, I think Newark is the easiest NYC airport to get to now that the airtran is up and running...

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:42 PM
aiimi

I was coming to the board with the same question. Now my question is, what is the easiest way with luggage. Do most of the people on the airtran have luggage also. I will prob be going into the Waldorf area. How would I get from terminals to hotel. Thanx

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Steve

If you're going to the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel and you have alot of baggage, the monorail/NJ Transit/cab option is a bit cumbersome. I'd go for the Supershuttle. You'll have to tolerate a drop-off or two, but it's door to door.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:55 PM
rqf

A taxi from EWR will cost around $50 to the hotel. Most convenient way to go.
Super Shuttle is going to be at least $40 - could be the slowest way since the van has other passengers to drop off.
The airport bus is less than $25 for two but a taxi would be needed to get to the hotel - add another $6 or $7 dolllars.
The airtrain will cost $22.30 for two.
The taxi to the hotel will be around $8. Not the best way to go if there is lots of luggage involved.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 02:37 AM
Rae

Thank you all for the replies - they are really helpful.....can't wait to get to NY!