Search

Newark, NJ Safety

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newark, NJ Safety

Hey guys,

I'll be in NJ in a couple weeks for a sporting event. We're staying in Paramus for some shopping and the event is at the Prudential Center in Newark. I've heard that Newark is a pretty tough city, we'll be drving a rental car and have our directions printed out but are there any HORRIBLE areas that we should definitely not venture into. I'm normally not a nervous person but I get slightly tense driving around in totally unfamiliar territory when I've heard some pretty nasty stories about car jacking, mugging etc.

Any info would be appreciated. We're simply driving to newark for the event and then driving back to the hotel in paramus afterwards.

Thanks!

Layla
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:28 PM

What do your directions involve? Yes, there a number of parts of Newark that it is better to avoid, particularily at night.
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:56 PM

Try to purchase pre-paid parking which can be done thru the Prudential Center website. Some lots fill up fast, with pre-paid you are guaranteed a spot in a specific lot (there are several lots, color coded). The area immediately around the arena is well patrolled. That said, there seems to be some construction in the area. One night the entrance to rt 280 was detoured and we were detoured thru the city. The officers are very helpful. When you exit the lot, ask one for specific directions to the route you need to get back to Paramus.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys!I appreciate the help. I don't have my printed directions here with me at the office, they are at home but I'll post them when I get the chance.

I'm sure we'll be fine but I just wanted to get an idea of the names of some specific spots or areas that should definitely be avoided so that if we do get lost we know not to head in that direction.

Thanks again!

Layla
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM

Layla,
The area around the Prudential Center is fine. Your directions probably take you down Route 21, past the train station, and then straight to Prudential. The area right before you get into downtown can be a little rough, but it's only a few blocks, and I (single woman) have stopped there for gas before so it's not too bad. Good luck, and enjoy!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks happytrain, good to hear!!

Layla
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:36 PM

Hello As the previous poster said your directions will probably take you right from the highway to the Prudential center and that should only be a few blocks once you get off the highway. I have never been to the new center but I go to the New Jersey Performing Arts Center which is only a few blocks away and have been going for years and have never has any problems. They always have a lot of security all around the area during shows.