New york with teenage daughters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a quick trip to New York worth it for being able to do much? What would be some of the must do activities? I am not a big city person, but I thought this might be fun for us to do. Is it terribly expensive?
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Not sure about your ideas of "quick" or "expensive". . . There is a report just posted about a couple who came to NYC for just a few hours ("10 Hours in New York"). From the report, it i clear they planned carefully and made the most of their time. The same could be true for you, and we could advise you if we knew what you hoped to do. Your must-dos may not be hours. We can offer better advice if you could be a bit more specific about you budget, likes and dislikes, and the amount of time you have.
Old Feb 19th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Your other thread asks for suggestions for an inexpensive trip. Assuming this thread is about the same trip . . . hotels in NYC are generally very expensive.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 02:34 AM

When I was a kid 9 years old, I spent one Sunday in Manhattan on our way to Europe (which you did on an ocean liner in those days).

We walked from Times Square to the New York Public Library up Fifth Avenue to the zoo in Central Park. I still remember pretty much all of it, including where we ate lunch.

I have had short but intense visits to other cities since them. Short doesn't mean not worthwhile.

Combining this post with your other one, I would say you have a choice between NYC for a couple of nights or a week in a cottage somewhere on the rocky coast of Maine.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 04:25 AM

It's only worthwhile to YOU if NYC is a place you'd like to see. It's pointless for us to give you "must sees" since everyone has different taste/interests. What would be YOUR must sees?

NYC can be done very inexpensively if you're able to pick dates carefully (ie coming during the beginning of Dec. is a terrible idea) and you don't expect a room for 4-5 people for under $200/night. You'll get MUCH better advice if you're very specific about what YOU are looking for. Rather than using generic terms like not very expensive or is it worthwhile, why not tell us WHEN you want to do this, how many you are, what you'd like to spend either in total for hotel or per night and the kind of things that might interest you. I haven't read your other thread.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 05:41 AM

The simple fact is that NYC is more expensive than most other parts of the country - for everythng. But there is a lot you can do that is free and there are ways of saving money - if it allows you to do what you re4ally want. I can't imagine anyone not loving NYC - but I'm a city person - love the museums and cultural activities and the daily hustle and bustle - and would be bored stiff by a cabin in the woods or camping (ick! bugs!!).

So - to get a useful answer you need to

1) give us a specific budget in dollars - and we can tell you if it's doable

2) what you think you might like to do in New York (see great museums, explore intersting neighborhoods, check out trendy/unique shopping, see a broadway show, experience foods from around the world)

If you're looking at a summer vacation that is mid season prices for NYC - if you are looking for spring break - that would be somewhat lower season, as long as you avoid easter (Really only Jan and Feb are low season). If you and your daughter can share a double bed you can probably find a decent palces to stay in the area of $150 per night - but we need more info to provide specifics and recos.
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for not providing much info - I think I am going to put this idea on a back burner for another time, but I appreciate the comments!