Search

New York Wineries

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Bill

New York Wineries

I am considering a weekend trip to the wine country in Western New York state. Any suggestions on whether it should be a 2 or 3 day trip, good wineries to visit and do tastings, and accomodations would be helpful.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Julie

http://www.rochesterhomes.com/living/2001_wineries.html

This site should help you. I would need to know where you plan to travel to as far as locations. I live in Rochester and previously in syracuse.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Julie

http://www.cayugalake.com/senecafalls/

also www.uncorkny.com

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Linda

Sorry, Julie, Cayuga Lake is NOT is Western NY. It is in the Fingerlakes Region, closer to Central NY. I believe Bill wants something closer to Lake Erie?

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Sister

If you aren't adverse to going into Pennsylvania, check out Presque Isle Wineries in North East www.piwine.com, and tell them Bob's sister sent you.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 02:52 PM
Bill

Linda is correct. I am looking for wineries on the I-90 corridor from Erie, PA to Buffalo, NY. Thanks to everyone for your help!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:57 AM
garyt

Bill- most of the grape growing in that area of NY state is for grape juice and Catawba table wine. Welches uses this area for a part of its supply. I live near Buffalo and there is a world class wine area rising just across the Canadian border in the Niagara Region. This would put you into Niagara-on-the-Lake, a renowned village for charm and class. There are currently 42 wineries, many are famous for Icewein, a sweet dessert or after dinner treat, but the choices run the gamut of reds and whites. You can tour the wineries on your own, using a tour map, bus tour, or even a guided bike tour through the vineyards. There are both Hotel and B&B lodgings, great winery restaurants at Hildebrand, Strewn, and On the Twenty at Cave Springs. Two or three days is great. You may also want to attend the Shaw festival in the Village, or make a twenty-minute drive to the Falls.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Sister

GaryT, I beg to differ about the grapes in the Lake Erie/Chautauqua region. Yes, there are a lot of concords, and yes, Welch's has a strong presence there, but there are also quite a few wineries that are producing very good local varietals. Please don't rule out the area.

And Bill, you would probably find some charming accomodations in that area too.