Search

New York Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Eva
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Trip Report

While i visit NY often, I have never posted a trip report before. i guess because I used to live there and all of my trips are somewhat brief, I never thought they would be very valuable to people coming to NY with specific plans. Anyway, here it is...

This past week my daughter (almost 12) and I took Amtrak to NY where we had booked a room at the Marriott Courtyard on 3rd Ave btwn 2nd and 3rd. I got it for $75 through Priceline and could not have been more pleased with the place. Incredibly nice staff, impeccably clean room, and I love the location (lived a couple of blocks away for 3 yrs.). Anyway the place was great.

The first afternoon we hit all the ususal places--NBA store, FAO Schwarz, and then a manicure. Had dinner at the Metropolitan Cafe on 1st btwn 52nd and 53rd in the back courtyard area. It was very good and reasonably priced. I was excited that it was still there, as it was always very reliable. We went up to Tavern on the Green for desert and to see a friend who works there.

Tuesday morning we took the A train to the Cloisters. What an amazing place! I absolutely loved it. The setting, in Fort Tryon Park is beautiful--you would not know you are in the midst of the city. On to Capezio for dance stuff--for the kid, not me, and then we tried to get tickets to Hairspray through their lottery system but alas no luck. Very NY thing to do though. Standing in line, yakking with everyone around you... Had lunch at Ollie's and it was very good as ususal and dinner at the Rock Center Cafe--i would not recommend this place, limited menu and somewhat pricey but it ws fun to sit outside and have dinner again.

Wednesday we went to the TKTS line at the Seaport and got half price tickets to Thoroughly Modern Millie (more on that later)and then went over to Century 21 with a brief stop to pay our respects at Ground Zero (still don't understand the folks smiling for the camera!). Shopped our way uptown through Soho. We had a very good lunch at Bar 89 on Mercer (they have those fubky bathrooms where the door steams up). Dinner that night was a quick pre-theater meal at a new Pan-Asian place called Blue Ginger on 52 betw. B'way and 8th. Very good but the service is funky. Millie was hysterical. I highly recommend it. We had no idea what to expect but we loved it.

Thursday began at Bloomingdales (more school shopping). After that down to Bryant Park for some free B'way. The cast of Chicago, Rent, and Millie. It was good but HOT! We did the same thing last year on an equally suffocating day. Got a slice of pizza at a place called Little Italy Pizza on either 44 or 45 just off 6th. It was delicious! More shopping at Daffy's, another dance store and then the subway back to the hotel to relax and then shower before heading out to dinner. We got off the subway at 3:57 and 14 minutes later while sitting in our hotel room the power went out.

Unlike many others we were alright. Went out and bought some food and drink and watched the city cope. A true testament to what a great place it is--people helping others out, free Krispy Kreme donuts from Au Bon Pain, and a very professional hotel staff made it much more tolerable. The inablity to get through to the west side on my cell phone was frustrating (although I was able to talk to my Mom in NH). We never got our showers that day or the next, because we awoke to no electricity AND no water.

Left the city for NJ Friday afternoon where we showered and regaled the in-laws with our tales of the blackout. Hope this isn't too boring!

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:21 PM

Eva,
No, it isn't boring at all - NY's always interesting. Probably what you should do is put up a webpage with photographs. Look at http://www.indospectrum.com/travels/nyc.html
The blackout would have been an interesting time to be in NYC.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:30 PM
blh

Thanks for the trip report! Was so glad to hear you were happy with the Marriott Courtyard since we'll be staying there for a week in December (Priceline - $75)!!! Also, glad to get the report on TMMille as we're hoping to see it (hoping for Hairspray too, of course). Enjoyed reading about the cafes - making notes on the good reviews. Just hoping we don't have any electrical problems!
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:33 PM
Eva
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion and I loved your photos but sadly, visiting this website is about as computer savvy as I get.

One more comment on the power outage. My daughter and i decided to yell "woohoo" out the window when the power came back on. Well it finally came on at noon the next day while we were at a friends apartment on 8th Ave. We ran over to "woohoo" (along with everyone else in the area) and then watched a women at the HoJos across the street do a scene from "Girls Gone Wild." She flashed us and everyone else in the neighborhood! Too funny.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:20 PM

Eva, I'm glad to hear that the Courtyard staff held up under blackout conditions. I enjoyed a 4-night stay there earlier this month and was delighted. Big, clean rooms and capable, pleasant staff.

I, too, got this for $75 on Priceline. For all of you out there who hesitate to bid on Priceline because you don't know what you'll get: According to the reports on Biddingfortravel, the past 20 people who bid for a 2.5* hotel in Midtown East got this place, for $75. So that takes some of the mystery out of it.

The mystery of why the Courtyard only rates 2.5 stars is apparently due to the lack of a full-service restaurant and room service, which are required for Priceline's 3-star rating. But they do have a breakfast onsite AND the feature not literal room service but delivery from Outback Steak House, complete with menus in the rooms, which is almost the same thing.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 09:51 PM

Thanks for posting your trip report. I think it is very helpful when people take the time to recap their trip's highlights (and lowlights)...hey, even NO LIGHTS...get it?

I think this site is great. The people posting here have been very helpful to me. It makes me want to return the favor by offering travelers advice on my neck of the woods...but it seems that not a lot of people are heading to St. Louis, MO for vacation!
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 10:41 AM

Loved reading your trip report, Eva! I take notes from every NYC post, as DH clark and i will be going to nyc again, soon. Especially love tips from locals, and ex-locals, like you!

And glamrgal, i soo agree with you; this board is priceless. There is nothing like first-person reports / affirmation... well, except maybe not from those with multiple-personalities

And btw, we love st. louis and have spent several nights there as a first (or sometimes last) stop on our cross-country journeys. In fact, were you the one who recently recommended Culvers or Ted Drewes? Enjoyed both last month! (See my recent Trip Report: 8th western adventure....yade yade.... )