New York Total Eclipse - April 2024

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2023, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, everyone. Although I've pretty much stopped travelling for leisure, my husband and I do want to take a trip to New York to see the eclipse. Right now I have reservations at both a hotel in Niagara Falls, and one in Rochester for that weekend. I can see the "excitement" of being in Niagara Falls when the eclipse hits, but DH hates crowds, and he says we visited Niagara Falls before and it probably hasn't changed since then (we spent a lot of time there on our last trip, did the Maid of Mist boat ride, the Cave of the Winds, took a high-speed boat tour further down the river, etc.). So there isn't much new to see other than the eclipse itself.

Rochester seems like it doesn't have a lot to do, although I could check out the Kodak museum, Susan B. Anthony's house, and that type of smaller attractions.

Also, it's maybe a 2 hour drive, so I could possibly stay in one place and drive to the other? Is that doable, or is traffic between the two bad? Also, the Niagara Falls Hyatt is about $500/night which is about $100/nt more than the Rochester Hyatt, which really isn't that big of a difference.

I have almost a year to cancel since I think it's something like 48 hours before check-in, but alternatively, I could hold both reservations in case relatives decide to join us? I looked up both hotels and they are already fully booked, as are some other hotels in the two areas. In theory, my husband and I can split up, me checking into my Niagara hotel and him checking into Rochester so we can host a couple other family members? Should I keep both and invite family? I know it's a long way off, but I would want to give people time to book airlines far in advance since those may book up fast, too.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? Thank you in advance for any advice (particular of things to do in Rochester), anticipated traffic, crowd levels, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 03:40 PM
J62

Early April is a lousy time of year to visit but I don't think we're able to influence the eclipse date....Other than the eclipse I can't really recommend anything to do in either of those places...... If it was summer I'd recommend going further north into the Adirondacks....

Where are you coming from? This is the eclipse path across NY State.
We plan to drive ~2hrs north to the Plattsburgh area, but make it a day trip there and back....

Old May 2nd, 2023, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Have you considered crossing into Canada and staying at Niagara-on-the-Lake? Pretty little town, much nicer than Niagara Falls, and it also gets the full total eclipse.

I've seen a couple of them -- not going out of my way for this one.
Old May 2nd, 2023, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

I'm flying in and renting a car. I know April is still winter in some parts, so I thought the more southern area ("southern" is relative) might give me better driving conditions than if I went to Vermont or Maine that time of year.

And I thought about staying on the Canada side, but IF my teenage nephew joins us, I'm not sure he has a passport. I'm thinking if he is able to join us, maybe we can drive to Cooperstown (he on high school baseball team)? We would really only have that weekend (Sat. and Sun.) plus Monday (the day of the actual eclipse). Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:13 AM
J62

Driving conditions in April are not an issue anywhere in that area, so plan your trip for what will make it enjoyable for you. April weather just means don't count on being able to enjoy extended outside time. You may get days that are 70 and sunny or it could be low 40's and rainy, you just can't count on it.

If Cooperstown is on your list then consider flying into Albany (1hr) and out of somewhere in western NY (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse).

Consider also giving yourself flexibility to cancel. An eclipse on a cloudy rainy day isn't really travel worthy in my book. Southwest has the most generous cancellation policy.

Last edited by J62; May 3rd, 2023 at 03:19 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice.
Old May 4th, 2023, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just curious as to why the choice is Niagara Falls or Rochester, rather than Buffalo. If I had to choose, I would probably choose Buffalo over Rochester for a weekend trip.

I am not sure I understand your comment about a two hour drive - do you mean between Niagara Falls and Rochester? If so, it's closer to 1.5 hours between those two locations. It's mostly Thruway driving and, barring an accident, you usually can go highway speed the whole way.

Old May 4th, 2023, 11:51 AM

Eclipse traffic can change that timing.
Old May 4th, 2023, 12:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gretchen
Eclipse traffic can change that timing.
true, hard to know what impact it will have over the course of that weekend.
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, and yes, I thought it would take 2 hours between Niagara Falls and Rochester. I didn't book a Buffalo hotel because I was trying to use Hyatt points, and for some reason even though I was able to snag Hyatt reservations in Niagara Falls and Rochester (although those are fully booked now), but Buffalo was already "not available." I can only assume that other people making travel plans for the eclipse booked in Buffalo first?

I also agree that I have no idea what traffic will be like the day of the eclipse (or the day before/after). I'm leaning towards just keeping the two hotels, seeing if any family member decides to join us between now and then, and if not, cancel next April. The rooms are fully refundable, I think, 48 hours or 24 hours prior to check in. When I do cancel, it will probably be the Niagara Falls hotel. It's slightly more expensive, and the crowds there will be worse since it's already a popular tourist sport without the eclipse. Rochester may be boring, but I can probably find something to do for 2 days.
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Huh, I don't know where my reply went??? Anyway, thank you all again for your comments. Yes, I was thinking it would take 2 hours to drive between Niagara Falls and Rochester. Admittedly, I don't know what the traffic will be like the day of/before/after the eclipse. And I did consider Buffalo, but I was also trying to use my Hyatt points and, even though I was able to snag Niagara Falls and Rochester rooms, Buffalo was already showing "not available." I can only assume that other people planning to watch the eclipse started booking in Buffalo before I did, and it was too late for me.

I'm thinking I'll probably end up in Rochester, and cancel the Niagara Falls. Technically, I don't have to cancel until 24 or 48 hours before check-in, but if I know ahead of time that my family won't be joining me, I may as well let the room go so some other family can book it. Rochester may be boring, but I can probably find something to do for 2 days. That hotel is a little cheaper, and I think it won't be as crowded as Niagara Falls.
Old May 6th, 2023, 03:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The other attraction in Rochester that has not been mentioned is the Strong Museum of Toys. They have the largest collection of dolls anywhere. If the weather is good, you might try for a boat ride out of Sodus Point.
Old May 8th, 2023, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional Rochester suggestions!