New York to New Orleans

Jul 12th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

New York to New Orleans

Have driven across the USA many years ago,but now I am a senior I prefer I different mode of transport.we plan to start in New York and head south by bus,the first destination Baltimore around a 4 hour journey? Then stay overnight,continue our journey the next day to travel around 4 hours or there about?i have read negative reviews regarding bus journeys in the USA.we shall be travelling in the mornings.does anyone have any suggestions of places to stay on our way to New Orleans?
does not have to be a large city just a place with hotels and restaurants,a bit of character and safe?

many thanks John.
Jul 13th, 2019, 02:45 AM

Oh, my. You should just go to the bus station and see if this is what you want to do. I am VERY much a senior and would NEVER at this point in my life go near a bus trip. And I don't think you will even find it very economical with the advent of the low cost carriers. Just my opinion.
Dirty and possibly dangerous, maybe particularly to a senior.
Jul 13th, 2019, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Oh, my. You should just go to the bus station and see if this is what you want to do. I am VERY much a senior and would NEVER at this point in my life go near a bus trip. And I don't think you will even find it very economical with the advent of the low cost carriers. Just my opinion.
Dirty and possibly dangerous, maybe particularly to a senior.
Thanks for your quick reply,maybe I shall look at Amtrak?have you experienced this option?

regards john.
Jul 13th, 2019, 04:54 AM

Hi John,

I have taken Amtrak throughout the US and Greyhound on numerous occasions. Thereís one Amtrak train daily from New York to New Orleans, called the Crescent, so you would be limited to its schedule to get past North Carolina. Be aware that Amtrak has issues sometimes with lateness on its long-distance routesómy suggestion for sanity is plan as if itís going to be late and be pleased if itís not.

A more expensive option would be the sleeper, but it gets you more comfortably than economy class between the 2 cities, with a bed and meals included in the dining car and nicer waiting areas in DC and NY. If you wanted to split up the journey, there are a variety of good options on the route: Washington DC, Charlottesville, Atlanta, as just a few ideas for stops that might be of interest.

As for buses, while I use them, I tend to do so for specific routes; schedules are limited and I would not recommend in the heavy traffic of the northeast. Unfortunately also, journeys by bus between two places of interest might be long (such as Atlanta to New Orleans).

Do note that there are lots of trains from NY to DC and a few more that go a bit beyond, so for the beginning leg, you would not be limited to the Crescentís schedule.

Have fun fun whatever you decide! Iíve enjoyed the Crescent in my sleeper roomette, but there tend to be 2 camps. Those that love it and those that hate it. In a way, DC to New Orleans is a good test run to see if the train is something youíd like.

Best wishes, Daniel

Jul 13th, 2019, 11:31 AM

Amtrak would be a much better option than the Greyhound (when they release people from prison they often issue them a Greyhound bus ticket) plus you can walk around, has a dining car usually, etc. Can be late but that is because freight trains have priority since they own the tracks.
Jul 14th, 2019, 03:35 AM

Why not fly? NY to NOLA probably has 5 airlines flying to it--and I'll bet good money the fare is less than Amtrak. Within cities now there are the ride shares--Uber and Lyft and probably others.
Jul 14th, 2019, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gretchen,
We have been looking at flight prices and you are right there’s not much difference,I think we shall take this option!

regards John.