Reload this Page >

New York @ Thanksgiving

Search

New York @ Thanksgiving

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 1997, 06:07 PM
John W

New York @ Thanksgiving

I will be taking my wife and 17 year old daughter to NY for Thanksgiving, specifically to see several broadway shows. Looking for suggestions on convenient and reasonable (price) places to stay. Also, best way to get tickets to shows or TV (SNL or Letterman). Places to eat?

Old Jun 18th, 1997, 05:13 PM
Carla

I am going to NYC in October for a few days. This will be my 5th time and I know now that there will be lots to do. Most of the hotels there have a magazine in the rooms that give you lots of good ideas for shows to see. We hope to see RENT this year. Last year we went and saw GREASE and it was lots of fun. Your daughter will probably like it. She will also love the shopping. Just walking down 5th ave. or Broadway can be an all day adventure.
Most of the TV shows have to reserved at least 6 months in advance or you could stand in line for cancellation tickets the day of the show.
Check out www.newyorkhotel.com for accomadations.

Old Jun 18th, 1997, 05:14 PM
Carla

I am going to NYC in October for a few days. This will be my 5th time and I know now that there will be lots to do. Most of the hotels there have a magazine in the rooms that give you lots of good ideas for shows to see. We hope to see RENT this year. Last year we went and saw GREASE and it was lots of fun. Your daughter will probably like it. She will also love the shopping. Just walking down 5th ave. or Broadway can be an all day adventure.
Most of the TV shows have to reserved at least 6 months in advance or you could stand in line for cancellation tickets the day of the show.
Check out www.newyorkhotel.com for accomadations.

Old Jun 19th, 1997, 09:52 AM
l.martin

We spent last Thanksgiving in NYC with our kids and just wanted to say that if you will be there on Thanksgiving Day you must make early reservations for a dinner--I mean a month ahead! We stayed at the Plaza ($$$$) and they were able to seat us but it was not our first choice for Turkey Day!! Weeks ahead the American Restaurant and most others were already booked. With the parade, etc there are several dining times scheduled at most places. Have fun. Years ago we stayed at the Hotel Edison and I have heard of it some lately again--it would be less expensive and around Theater District I think.

Old Jun 21st, 1997, 08:40 AM
polly

When we go to NYC we stay at The Paramount--in the thick of the theatre district. It's terribly hip, fantastically and whimsically designed, and I think a 17 year old would think it was just too cool. Ask for a weekend rate--the rooms are small, but lovely...and who's gonna be in their room, anyway? I'm 28--but when I went to the city for Thanksgiving with my parents last year, we all had a great time. It's a wonderful time to be in New York. I actually had restaurants fax me their t-giving menus, so i could see prices & what they'd be serving. (We ate at the Iridium.) Something that was also interesting was going to a church service at a huge 5th avenue church (it really made you feel like you lived there, instead of an invading tourist).

Just remember, you can't do it all. If everyone in the family makes a list of things they'd LIKE to do, and plans little day-to-day itineraries that allow for the spontaneous finds and serendipidous discoveries, you'll all feel satisfied. New York is huge. But it's not going anywhere. You can always go back!

Old Jun 27th, 1997, 01:50 PM
Susan

I live in NYC and offer this info. Stay downtown at the Soho Grand Hotel on West Broadway and Canal Street in Soho. It is very chic (industrial design) and in the heart of Soho, which your 17 year old will love. The most memorable activity you could do for Thanksgiving is to celebrate the night before. At 81st Street and Amsterdam (next to the Museum of Nat History) all of the balloons and floats are set up for the parade the following day. Go at dusk, it goes on all night. You can actually watch all of the balloons being blown up. Have a great time!