Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Noth Conway, NH to ??, ME What city in ME, what to do, where to stay?

Jun 18th, 1997, 07:37 AM
Barb

We will be vacationing for one week. The first part of our trip will be in North Conway, NH. Suggestions on what to do and where to eat?
The last 3 days will be spent in Maine. We are looking for suggestions on what city to stay in. We'll be flying out of Portland so we don't want to drive more than 2-3 hours.

Jun 18th, 1997, 01:54 PM
polly

North Conway's pretty much one big strip outlet mall these days...but a little bit of the old downtown still exists, I think...you might check that out. I spent a summer on Lake Winnepasaukee, which is near Meredith, NH.

My favorite places in Maine are Portland, Ogonquit, and Bar Harbor. There's a beautfiul state park near Portland. Pretty much anything along the coast is interesting. A lot of people go to Boothbay Harbor, I've been there 3 or 4 times.

It's all typical New England--the cheezy and the quaint; authentic and faux; fudge, lobster, t-shirt shops, and that big beautfiful sea and landscape.

Jun 19th, 1997, 10:39 AM
Audrey

Get a map and (not in any particular order) drive along the Kangamangus (spelling?) Highway, stopping to picnic anywhere along the river; go through Franconia Notch; see the Old Man in the Mountain. Portland is a wonderful small city; the restaurants in the (restored) Old Port are good, as are the less-fancy places along the waterfront (Jay's Oyster House); the Museum of Art there is quite good. Do find the time to drive along the coast beginning as far south as you can, going as far north as you can. See Ogunquit, Kennebunkport; eat lobster at Cape Porpoise. See other postings about Maine; there's good advice from others right here in the Departure Lounge.

Jun 26th, 1997, 04:04 PM
papazimbo

Try not to make your drive to maine at night,some roads can be very dark and twisty.Go to the Portland Headlight,it's a famous lighthouse in Cape Elizabeth just outside Portland.The view is spectacular.Lobster? Go to Bayley's Lobster Pound at
Pine Point ,also close to Portland.Rockport and BarHarbor are close to one another and a good place to get the traditional feel of Maine.On the way back toPortland stop in Freeport.Freeport%3DL.L. Bean,it never closes ,open24/7/365;oh and just about every other outlet store you can imagine is there too all in a cool little town!Watch out for Portland International Jetport,it's about as big as a bus station.Have fun!

Jun 27th, 1997, 05:45 PM
Donna

Not to be missed is a drive from North Conway, south on Route 302, west on Route 112 (the Kangamangus Highway) to Lincoln, then north on Interstate 93 to Franconia, and east on Route 302 back to North Conway. Be sure to pick up a map of the Kangamangus Highway as there are lots of interesting places to stop on the way. You will travel through breathtaking "notches" in the White Mountains: Franconia, Crawford and others. If the weather is clear, be sure to take a ride to the Top of Mount Washington (the entrance is just north of North Conway). You may wish to pay the fare and take the van, as opposed to driving. Be sure to visit Jackson, a picturesque village just north of North Conway. Terrific restaurants there also, especially the Wildcat Tavern! Portland is an excellent base for touring the Maine Coast. Take a day and drive south to York Harbor (Nubble Lighthouse is spectacular). On your way back to Portland, second the recommendation on Ogunquit and Kennebunkport (be sure to drive by George Bush's summer estate on Ocean Drive). Another day, go north. If you feel like it, go all the way to Bar Harbor, then on your way back, Camden and Rockport (Owl's Head Lighthouse in Rockland worth a side trip) are gorgeous. Second the recommendations for Boothbay Harbor (more gorgeous, quaint and quintessential Maine seaport town than "touristy" in my opinion). Portland Headlight is spectacular and the Old Port section of Portland is wonderful for dining and shopping. NOTE: Do your outlet shopping in North Conway, NH. There's NO SALES TAX in New Hampshire.