New York Staten Island Ferry at sunset

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read it is great to take the Staten Island Ferry at a time when you would be returning at dusk.
The only free evening that we have is on our arrival day next Monday. We would be taking the 1/9 subway at 50th and Broadway. What time should we leave headed for the ferry in order to take advantage of the ride at dusk. Also, will it be very crowded with those going home from work at that time? I see that sunset is about 7:45 in New York. Also read that the view was better from one of the older boats. Does it tend to be very chilly this time of day? My thanks to all the very helpful New York travelers and residents.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM

There's a 7:20PM ferry and a 7:40. Since the ride is 25 minutes and the sun sets at 7:45, I'd take the 7:40. Leave your subway stop no later than 7PM, since the subway ride plus the walk should be close to 40 minutes. It is always chillier on the water than in Midtown (esp. after sunset), so be prepared. The ferry will be only moderately full at this time.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suzanne. Now, if we are not just too tired after such an early morning flight and a long day before our arrival, this should be great. If not, I will be content to do do a Tuesday morning ride. It seems that I can't do it all.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 10:07 AM

I'll offer different advice. I'd take the 7:20. If you encounter any sort of delay (which is always possible on public transportation) and miss the 7:40 ferry, you'll miss seeing the sunset on board, since the next ferry doesn't leave until 8, and the sun sets at 7:45.
If you take the 7:20, then you'll either catch the best of the sunset on the ferry going to Staten Island or on the return trip!
By planning on the 7:20, you're just about in a can't-lose situation.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Should I arrange to leave the subway station at 50th and Broadway around 6PM to make the 7:20 ferry?? How far is the ferry from the subway stop?
If we are absolutely too tired for the night ferry, would mid morning or early afternoon be the next best time to enjoy a ride. My last ride on a subway was in Seoul.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 12:47 PM

The last stop on the 1/9 is South Ferry which is exactly where the Staten Island ferry is (as opposed to the Statue of Liberty ferry which is a couple of blocks distance away). You just come up the stairs and follow the signs to basically to the other side of the building.
It should not take more than about 30 minutes from 50th street to South Ferry, but if you're concerned about missing a specific ferry , add a little time. Allowing an hour and 20 minutes seems excessive, but if you want to walk around Battery Park, you can certainly do that. There's really not much to do to kill time while waiting so long!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:20 PM

I'll suggest a different tactic. Rather than being on the most crowded boat at sundown, the one from Manhattan to Staten Island, I'd suggest being on the less crowded boat - the one going back to NYC.

There is a boat that leaves Staten Island at 7:30 p.m. By 7:40, you'll be mid-Harbor with far fewer people around you vying for the prize spots on the rail.

If you catch the 6:45 p.m. from Manhattan, you'll have plenty of time to get off and back on the boat heading to Manhattan.

The downside of catching the 7:20 is that you'll be entering Staten Island right about 7:40. Instead of watching the sunset, you'll be in the terminal waiting for the 8:00 back to Manhattan.

If you want to see the sunset when you're nearer to the Statue of Liberty, your best bets are the 7:30 from Staten Island or the 7:40 out of Manhattan.

Take it from this product of a Staten Island upbringing, your best option is to be on the boat heading back at 7:30 as that provides you with 25 minutes of "water" time at the peak sunset.

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 01:50 PM

I bow to Ryan's better suggestion.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your help. The 6:45 going to Staten Island and the 7:30 coming back will probably put us back in the broadway area by 8:30, which will be bettr for us after such an early flight to New York that day.