Reload this Page >

New York restaurants/subway directions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:33 PM
Cathy

My husband and I will be visiting New York at the end of the month and would like some opinions on two restaurants we are considering. The first night we are there we are going to see the Blue Man Group in the East Village. We have read some favorable comments about the Miracle Grill which appears to be within easy walking distance of the Astor Theatre. Is anyone familiar with this restaurant?

Also, I am really wanting to dine at Windows on the World while we are in NYC too. The regular dinner menu is a bit pricey for us so we are considering going for the Sunset Menu which is a fixed price of $40/person. We were wondering if the food and dining experience is worth it?

One more thing - we are planning to utilize the subway quite a bit during our visit but are a bit apprehensive about it because we have not used it before. To get us started, can someone give us directions on getting to the Astor Place theatre in the East Village from Times Square? Also, would you advise taking it back to Times Square after the show or should we opt for a cab?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Old May 13th, 2001, 05:58 PM
rqf

If you decide on the Windows of the World take the #1 or #9 train at Times Square station to Cortland Street. NOt exactly sure about getting to Astor Place theater but the N or R train from Times Square to 8th Street subway station will probably get you close enough to walk.

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:14 PM
Philip

Don't be apprehensive about riding the subway. If you study the map a little, it will seem like the easiest thing in the world.

From 42nd Street/Times Square you can take the S train (which is a shuttle between Times Square and Grand Central) to 42nd Street/Grand Central. At Grand Central transfer to a #6 Downtown and get off at Astor Place. This trip should take about 20 minutes.

You could also take a #7 from 42nd Street/Times Square to 42nd Street/Grand Central (2 stops) and then take #6 Downtown getting off at Astor Place. Again about 20 minutes.

If you want to use just one train, from 42nd Street/Times Square take the N or R Downtown and get off at 8th Street. You would then walk 3 or 4 blocks East to Astor Place. About 15 minutes to 8th Street and about 10 minutes to walk to Astor Place.

Across from Blue Man Group is the well known Public Theater. Also there is a K-Mart about 3 blocks from it. So if you get lost ask for either one of those landmarks.

I've taken the subway as late as midnight and not had any problems. If it is a Friday or Saturday night, there will be lots of people on the trains even later than that.

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:06 AM
steve

The N train drops you off at 8th and Broadway which is two blocks from the theatre. Much better alternative than changing trains to get a block closer. Miracle Grill is good if the weather is beautiful and you want to eat in the garden in the back. There are better choices if the weather is not accomodating. Right next to the theatre is Indochine which is good asian. If you're set on southwestern Mesa Grill is also great, though a little noisy and a little pricier - it's on 5th and 15th. If the weather is great, after the show you might consider coffee at the Cloisters Cafe, 9th Street, between 2nd and 3rd, closer to 2nd. Great outdoor setting, but don't go there for food. For great deserts you can also consider Venieros on 11th, just off 1st ave. It's an institution.

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:39 AM
ALF

I agree that dinner at Windows on the World is a little pricey. The view is awfully good though. One choice that we like is to go for breakfast instead. Its less crowded and the prices are only a little higher than you would expect at a classy restaurant. Here is an interactive map of the NYC subway system. This same map is on the wall of every subway car. Some of the directions listed above sound complicated, but they're not.
http://www.brail.org/transit/nycall.html

Old May 14th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Todd

Sounds like a nice trip. I saw that someone suggested taking the N/R train from Times Square to Astor Place. While normally that would be ideal (no transfers), the 8th street subway station (for downtown trains on the N/R line) is currently under construction and the N/R train doesn't stop there (at least for now). Therefore, take the N/R to 14th street and switch to the 6 train (downtown) and get off at the next stop. That stop is called Astor Place, about one block from the theater.

Old May 14th, 2001, 06:14 PM
Cathy

Thank you everyone for the very helpful subway directions - this should get us off to a good start. Thanks for the dining advice as well.