Reload this Page >

New York Restaurant Recommendation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Jane

My husband and I will be going to New York for the first time in mid-December. We have tickets to the ballet at the Lincoln Center, and would like a recommendation of a moderately priced restaurant near the Lincoln Center for dinner before the ballet. This is a special time for us, so we would like something special but reasonable. Also, if anyone has a recommendation of a good place to get dessert after the ballet that would be helpful also. We are very flexible as far as the type of cuisine, but we are on a relatively tight budget. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Elizabeth

Someone else might have the following information: names & times for restaurants IN Lincoln Center. There is a cafe in Avery Fisher Hall (maybe) that is pleasant and reasonable--not fancy, more like a soup and sandwich place, but it has a buzz because of its location. A downside, you won't be the only people to think of eating there. I'd go unnaturally early if it were my decision, like 6 o'clock if your show is at 8.

If you can't find a place (I find that area discouraging to find eating places in, but someone may know better), you could also think of eating in the Village at around 6 and taking a subway to Lincoln Center--leave your restaurant at 7:15 to be on the safe & smart side, so everything can go wrong (powdered-sugar train evacuations etc) and you'll still make your show.

Go someplace near the 7th Avenue subway. Downtown restaurants are empty-ish at 6 so this is easy. Or Chelsea.
Chelsea Bistro is a good charming place for example. Anyhow the point is, downwon you'll find more inexpensive but nice places possibly than in the Lincoln Center area, which has a captive & exploitable Lincoln Center market, and is priced accordingly.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 04:55 AM
Howard

There are lot of places to choose from in the Lincoln Center area. Question: What does "moderately priced" mean to you?

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Steph

Jane, you might try Gabriel's on West 60th. I don't know what you consider "moderate" - compared to some NYC restaurants, it certainly is. You can view their menu on their website:
www.gabriels.citysearch.com

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:23 AM
Chris

O'Neal's is right across the street from Lincoln Center and is very reasonably priced. Usually packed with theatergoers at dinner time. Couldn't be closer, good food, good prices.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 08:23 AM
cdf

A GREAT dessert place would be Serendipity on 60th St between 2nd and 3rd Ave.There is nothing like the restaurant or the desserts-

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 10:14 PM
patty

I love Picholine in the Lincoln Center area, but they're rather expensive. We often eat at O'Neal's, as well as Vince & Eddie's (68th St), Nick & Toni's (67th St) and Shun Lee Cafe (65th St). Oh and Cafe Luxembourg on 70th St - an oldie but goodie.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Dawn

Hi Jane,
I second Patty's recommendations. Picholine is wonderful. If you are going before, I'm sure they will have pre-theatre menus which are less expensive. I also love Shun Lee Palace which is absolutely hands-down the best elegant Chinese restaurant in the city. If you go, order the Peking Duck. These are both VERY close. You can also try Cafe Des Artistes which is a lovely French restaurant (65th - a little farther north but walking distance). If you go, allow your hubby the opportunity to sit facing the murals. If these are too expensive, try finding something on www.citysearch.com for ny.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:10 AM
jhm

I would go to Rosa Mexicano. It's a lovely restaurant -- they make homemade guacamole, to your degree of spiciness, next to the table with a mortar and pestle -- and "moderate" in the New York sense of the word, i.e. around $45 per person. Plus, it is LITERALLY across the street from the ballet.

It is really a lovely place, and they are sensitive to pre-theater needs.