Reload this Page >

Looking for antique shopping in DFW area---

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Marla

DH and I are heading to Dallas for a weekend without the kids. We're looking for good places to antique shop in Dallas or the surrounding area. We will have a rental car. Where should we go? Any place in the metroplex or should we head out of town to Forney?

We're not looking for anything in particular--- just reasonably-priced old stuff! Thanks, Marla

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 05:34 AM
Arabella

There's a small town just north of Dallas called McKinney, which is full of antique stores and has a few good places for lunch. Makes for a fun day.

Lived in Dallas for eight years and never heard of Forney.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 07:40 AM
OliveOyl

Lots of antiques in Forney, but lots of junk too. If you are headed to Dallas to enjoy the city as well, I'd look around the McKinney Ave/Routh St area, or Knox/Henderson, rather than driving to Forney.

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 10:55 AM
texan

Forney is east of Dallas and does have plenty of antique shops. However, if you're arriving the weekend of the "first Monday" give drive through Forney and give Canton a try. Three days of nonstop flea market, antique shopping madness, loads of fun and some great bargins too. McKinney is north of Dallas about 30 minutes from downtown Dallas. Several small antique malls and the typical "junk" too. If you want to catch a meal while in Canton, I'd recommend a corn dog or funnel cake from one of the vendors. In McKinney, try Sweet Tomato, just off the square for good home cooking or Mama Emilias for a Texas version of Italian, the Pantry for a piece of pie or Herby's Soda Fountain for a good greasey burger. Canton and Forney roll up the streets at dark. Not a lot more to do in McKinney.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:19 AM
Marla

Thanks everyone! I used to travel to North Texas frequently with my previous job, so I'm familiar with Canton and McKinney. I don't think DH is "up" for Canton! He doesn't like crowds! Thanks for the information!