Reload this Page >

Delta First Class to Hawaii

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 06:26 AM
James

Wondering traveling first class to Oahu on Delta, how has 9/11 affected front row ? Is it worth the extra $$$$. Thanks

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 07:44 AM
pete

Per my observation people flying first class are in the following catagories:

1. The added cost if of no improtance.
2. Somebody else is paying.
3. A free upgrade is being used.

If you are not in any of those groups it is not worth it.

Old Nov 26th, 2001, 08:33 AM
cg

Just flew from Atlanta to Honolulu via MSP, upgraded to 1st using miles. I'd agree w/ Pete on flying 1st. I love the extra leg room and the better food (and free drinks), but I wouldn't pay the extra $1500-$5000 per person for it. If you can use miles, definitely go for it. It makes the flight moderately pleasant instead of being excruciating, in my opinion, and my husband loves it because he's very tall and was happy not to have his kneecaps crushed for 8 hrs. straight. But, unless I become filthy rich someday, I wouldn't ever pay full price for a 1st class ticket.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 06:40 PM
CJ

We went to Hawaii the first 2 weeks in September, and flew first class on Delta. It was a gift from my Dad. It made a big difference after 9/11 when we had to try and get home. We were able to get into a different line at the airport because of the first class ticket. The trip was made easier due to the extra leg room, excellent food service, and large selection of movies. Like I said the tickets were a gift, otherwise we would have flown coach.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Roger

James is exactly correct (as regards domestic first class). Not worth the $$ unless it's a free upgrade or you have $$ to burn.

Now international first class is a different story IMO. I've paid for this on a couple occasions because 1) the planes are very different and FC is much better than on domestic planes (most routes), and 2)the routes can be excruciatingly long (e.g. Asia, Africa).
From the eastern US, Hawaii is quite a trek and FC borders being worthwhile but depends very much on the type of plane IMO.
BTW, FC in the upstairs section of 747's creates a REALLY nice travel experience (at least on the two carriers I've experienced. We always ask for those seats right away).

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:00 AM
Dennis

If you can afford it, you will be glad you did it. You've flown coach before right? Imagine that for 7 hours minimum. On a long flight like this you will be glad you went first class, especially when they wheel out the sundae cart. It is never worth the money on a short flight (I got an extra orange juice and a leather seat once). It doesnt warrant the extra 2k (at least) per ticket, but they make a long flight like that extremeley pleasant. If it doesn't break your bank, do it!