Reload this Page >

New York-quiet, inexpensive hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Ona

My husband and I are looking for a quiet, inexpensive hotel in New York City, in which we won't hear our neighbors' tv, conversations, etc. Any recommendations? Has anyone stayed at the Comfort Inn on Central Park West? Thanks!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Lois

Quiet and inexpensive in NYC?? You must be kidding. The top-priced hotels are usually quiet, either because your room is far above the round-the-clock street noise, or the hotel is well insulated. No economy hotel can afford all that plushness and insulation. Your best bet would be to stay in a residential area, such as the upper west side, where prices may be lower than right in midtown,and there is less racket from the street. The Lucerne, on W 81st St., would probably be fairly quiet and a good price for nice accommodation. There are several other choices in that area. You might also consider Soho.Avoid the Times Sq area, possibly the noisiest neighborhood in the country, and anything on a low floor, unless it is on a side street.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 05:24 AM
me

Times Square is by far the noisiest area. If you want quiet in general, avoid that area. I can't personally recommend any but the Midtown East (5th AV and East) locations tend to be quieter neighborhoods and still very convenient. You can try a priceline for Midtown East or South (not West) for a good deal. Check biddingfortravel.com. I recently bid $100 Midtown South for some visitors. We landed the Avalon Hotel on 32nd St & 5th Av. It was lovely, a suite with breakfast included in a very quiet area.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Liz

We have recentley returned from New York and stayed at the Hotel Pennysalvania. There rates were $129 dollars for a large room with two double beds. The rooms were basic but clean, cable TV, fresh towels and bedding each day and lots of hot water. No room service but a lovely little coffee bar in the lobby and the location is fantastic, next door to Maceys opposite Madison Square Garden and Penn Station. I would recommend it, check out there website, www.hotelpenn.com.
Liz

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 01:54 PM
jill

the Comfort Inn on Central Park is tiny tiny tiny but nice! Think French hotel-sized. Whoever said inexpensive and quiet in NYC doesn't exist obviously doesn't live in New York! They do exist, you just need to be careful who you ask for suggestions.

Try the Excelsior or the Beacon on the upper west side and request a room on the back.

The quietest hotel (and also the priciest!) is the Kitano. It's soundproof. Not in a great neighborhood (it's fine, just dull).

On the Park on the upper west is nice, though I am not sure how quiet. I'd also recommend the Irving Place Inn (or something like that) on Irving Place. Great location, gorgeous b&b type setting. Sometimes pricey.

Avoid the Pennsylvania hotel that someone recommended. They spent a fortune on renovations and it still looks like crap. The neighborhood is downright awful, as well.

Have fun and good luck!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Karen

We stayed at the Hotel Beacon a couple of years ago, very reasonable, and perfectly fine for what we wanted. Be sure to visit Mesa Grill if you're a Food TV fan. It's owned by Bobby Flay, he came out and chatted with us and took us in the kitchen for photo ops. Foods was wonderful!

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 08:45 AM
dianne

go to Seasaver.com click on hotels
I found good deals- Also, if your AARP
Marriott has a great 21 paid in advance rate for NY hotels.

Old Jan 20th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Judy

We made a girl trip (four of us) and stayed at the Belvedere Hotel, 48th & 8th in Times Sq. area and it was quiet, very nice,reasonably priced, close to everything including subways. We felt very safe and would definitely consider for our next trip.