New York Parking

Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York Parking

Will be staying at the Millenium Times Square this weekend and the parking there is about $40 per night. Can anyone tell me if there is a cheaper parking garage nearby; i.e. within walking distance say 5-10 minutes away. Don't want to be too inconvenienced but hate paying exorbitant parking fees. Could see another show for the amount we spend on parking.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 04:40 PM

Suggest you look at some of the commercial garage web sites - there are several big chains in the City and their web sites usually show locations and 24-hour rates. ICON is one you might want to check. However, I'm not surprised at $40 per 24-hour in the Times Square area. Depending on how long you stay it might pay to leave your car in a residential neighborhood like the upper west or east side - where parking is about half the price - and take a cab back to the hotel.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:17 PM

Just wondering if you really need a car in Times Square? If you are driving in from another city, then I would understand having the car, but otherwise you really don't need one.

nytraveler is right in suggesting ICON parking, they usuallyhave the cheapest rates, but be aware that almost anywhere in that area may not be that much cheaper. Most garages charge at least $25-30 for overnight parking. The cheapest I think I ever saw was $18 around 36th and 3rd.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 05:54 PM

There's a Hippodrome lot one block over on 44th between 5th/6th (just about opposit the Algonquin) where last we parked there (in November) the rate was $28/day.

Iconparking.com is another excellent resource. But, sometimes you can do better, by driving around the block slowly enough to read the confusing signs, especially on weekends.
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. We're driving down from Canada so are stuck with our car. Don't need it once we're there as we usually walk or cab or take the bus. I'll check out ICON but we may have to bite the bullet and valet park. It's a good thing we got a good rate for the hotel on Priceline!
Old Feb 2nd, 2004, 09:26 PM

Did you consider taking Amtrak from Toronto or Montreal. You could also drive part way down and take the Metro North Railroad into town.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 04:38 AM

Antlori, there is an enclosed, self-park garage as part of an apartment complex on 42nd Street between 9th and 10th Avenues. The daily rate is $18. That's less than a ten-minute walk from Times Square.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:53 AM

Another thought- I drive to Poughkeepsi ALL the time and leave my car at the Metro North station parking lot for $3.75/day and free weekends. Off peak rail round trip for 2 to Grand Central is about $46. Extremely scenic ride along the Hudson. If you are paying over $30/day this may be a better option. Just take exit 19 off the NYS thruway and 9 miles to Poughkeepsi station- $1 toll for the bridge.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 05:58 AM

Keep in mind that there is plenty of free parking (on the street)on Sundays- Depending on what time you're leaving on Sun. & how much you might save, you might consider taking the car out of the garage first thing in the morning.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:23 AM

We almost never use hotel valet parking. Once we've figured out which garage we'll use, my husband drops me and the bags off at the hotel, then heads for the garage. Usually, he's parked the car and walked back to the hotel by the time I have the room keys. When checking out, I phone for help with the bags and he sets off for the car. Usually, the time I'm downstairs at the entrance with the bags, after checking out either on the TV or at the desk, he's here with the car.
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 07:52 AM

mclaurie, have you driven a car to midtown lately? The number of free Sunday spaces is rapidly vanishing. Metered parking on Sundays is becoming the norm!
Old Feb 3rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice. I'm leaning toward Neal Sanders' suggestion for the self-park garage on 42nd street or the Hippodrome lot that djkbooks suggested. The Poughkeepsie option looks interesting, BudgetQueen but my husband likes to take his clothes on hangers rather than pack them in the suitcase. I can't image lugging all those hangers on the train!
Old Feb 4th, 2004, 12:34 AM

I second the 42nd street park & lock its the best parking in the city.