New York on Budget (mid - late May)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:04 PM
Nova

New York on Budget (mid - late May)

We are planning a trip to NYC in May. Flying for the three of us from Halifax to NYC will be approximately $1500. Because of exchange rate hoping to keep costs down. Right now it looks like it will cost approximately $2,500 - $3,000 Cdn. for a three night stay, which is more than I anticipated, but we really want to make this trip. Is anyone familiar with The Red Roof Inn? I was quoted a rate of $109 per night, which seems very good (approx. $150 Cdn including taxes). How much is a cab or limo ride from LaGuardia to 32nd St? I've heard good things on this forum about the Apple Greeters, but need more info. Where do we find them, how much are they and are they tipped, etc. Wondering about the weather. Is that a rainy period? Have many questions. Any advice on or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:16 PM
nyer

Big Apple Greeters
(www.bigapplegreeter.org) is a FREE service--people are volunteers and do it for the love of the city.

NYC gets rain fairly evenly throughout the year. May weather is variable (as is April-- (last week we had several 90+ degree F days, now it's more like 50) Check the weather websites for a few days before your trip to get a better idea.

Taxi should be from about $20-$25. I can't give you more detail since I've never gone specifically to that hotel, but it is a metered (not fixed) rate and will depend on traffic, which bridge or tunnel the driver uses (0$ or $3.50) etc, but I thought an approximate idea would help.Airport Busses or shuttle services will be more expensive if there are 3 of you, so taxi really is the only way to go (public busses and subways are cheap--only $1.50 for each of you--but extremely cumbersome and really not worth consideration unless you have lots of time and no luggage)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:21 PM
kathy

A lot of people told us to try priceline.com but, they only guarantee a room for two people so, we ended up booking a room with Super 8. It is located at 59 W46th St. continental breakfast was included for $107.00 US a night. It was a small hotel, but very clean and comfortable. It was very close to Times Square and between 5th and 6th Ave. There was also a Comfort Inn near by that looked very nice also. The phone number for the Super 8 is 212-719-2300. This hotel was formly known as the Quality Inn but had a name change the first of April. We used the Airport Super Shuttle and the round trip ticket cost us $17.00 US. An excellant place to eat is the Galaxy Cafe located on the corner of 46th St and 9th Ave. We ended up eating there 3 times, the Saturday & Sunday brunch is wonderful. Lots of local people eat there.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 01:31 PM
xxx

supershuttle is $17 r/t PER PERSON. Nova is traveling with 2 others so a taxi would be about the same and more convenient (no waiting to pick up and discharge other passengers in the van--that can take over an hour extra, if you're as unlucky as I was)

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 02:25 PM
Rachel

I've had some luck with priceline.com for hotels in New York--got a 4 star in midtown for my visiting family for $95/night. You can call to see if a 3rd person can be allowed in the room, but only after booking it, so I agree that that might be risky (but worth it if it works). However, you might want to try it for your flights--I just looked over at www.biddingfortravel.com and noticed that someone got LGA-YHZ for less than $200 USD for travel in July. It might work.

Good luck, and enjoy our beautiful city!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:10 PM
iluvny

I just returned from a 10 day trip staying half a block from Red Roof on 32nd. Feel free to email me with any questions.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 03:14 PM
Nova

Thanks so much for all your replies! I think we will contact the Big Apple Greeters, what a brilliant idea - sounds too good to be true. We're considering all your suggestions, places to eat, etc., too. Thanks again.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 06:41 PM
Jennifer

I am from Florida and 5 of us are flying into NYC for $145.00 per person. We searched the internet alot to find this great price but finally found it at jetblue.com. We also found a hotel suite at Howard Johnson for 189.99 per night! All of the above was booked for Memorial Day weekend also. Try expedia.com for some good rates on travel packages. Have fun.

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 07:44 PM
melinda

I stayed at the Red Roof for two nights during March and really liked it. The hotel is very convenient to subway stations and bus stops and has a lot of 24 hour Korean places around it, which is great for late-night dining. I would stay again.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:04 PM
nova

We've been able to get reservations at the Red Roof Inn and have decided to stay 4 nights. Too excited!! Thanks for your posts. Melinda and Iluvny, my son wants to know how tall the hotel building is (he likes tall buildings), and I'd like to know if the rooms are fairly soundproof. What was the continental breakfast like - enough to sustain us for a few hours?

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 12:17 AM
Jennie

Hate to break it to you Nova, but $109 US hasn't been approximately $150 Canadian for a long time. It is closer to $172 Canadian with current exchange rates. Add to that the 13.25% hotel tax plus $2/day NYC occupancy tax and you're talking almost $200 Cdn/night.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 04:09 AM
iluvny

Nova:

I usually stay a nearer the other end of the block, so I can't give you specifics on the Red Roof. However, Macy's and Manhattan Mall are just a block or two away and there is lots of other shopping in that area. You are also not a far walk from Times Square.

In the hotel I usually stay in, I find that the rooms are not all that soundproof and the building has perhaps 10 floors. I would imagine Red Roof to be similar in those respects. It is a newer building, however, so I could be wrong. The building itself isn't new, but it's been renovated since the hotel is farily new (under two years old I believe).

Have fun on your trip. NYC is a great place!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Jimmy

Ok. I live in NYC and I've read some of the things here and I want to clear them up. First taxi. Cabs from any of the three airports (LGA, JFK, NWK) are all $30 (or $40, might have gone up) flat fee to anypoint in Manhattan. We have so much traffic, without the flat fee, tourists would pay too much of a range for the cab fair. I think if there are three of you, it is the way to go because even taking a charter bus is $10 one way (but going back home, I totally suggest it, either catch the bus at Port Authority or Grand Central because you will never get to the airport for cheaper-there is no set fares going TO the airport in a taxi). Second, the Red Roof Inn. Its a tourist class hotel in NYC. That means its close to all, its clean, and in a safe place. It won't be fancy, the rooms won't be big, but for $109, what are you expecting? I think that's a good deal.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Statia

Just for the record:

I paid $35 plus tolls and tip from JFK to Manhattan a week or so ago. Yes, the rate into the city has gone up from $30 to $35.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:39 AM
john

Nova:

I stayed at the Red Roof. Nice Hotel, great rate! People were friendly, rooms clean, nice size. It is on 32nd street which is Korean row. Nothing wrong with that! Near Empire State Bldg. For a good bargain lunch/dinner walk down to 31st and Madison for a nice 'red sauce' Italian resturant called "Casa Bella" It has great pies and wonderful salads and subs (hero's,Hoagies)..not sure what you call it in Canada! But the price is right!
JOHN

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:12 PM
JOhn

Sorry...Bella Napoli is the resturant on 31st and Mad.
JOHN

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 03:53 PM
nova

Thanks for the posts. We've never had Korean food - is it much different from Chinese? We are actually seriously considering taking the subway from LG to Manhatten. We arrive mid afternoon so won't mind spending an hour or so on subway if it saves us $ that we could put toward a nice meal. People have mixed feelings on this. Some say not to and others say to do it - it's worth the extra time to save. Will definately take bus or cab to the airport. N

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 07:04 PM
Owen O'Neill

If you have luggage other than a small rolling carry-on, the bus/subway routine may be inconvenient. As for Korean food... I'm an adventurpus eater and enjoy Vietnamese, Thai and Japanese very much (in that order). I'm not especially fond of Korean despite having tried it on a number of occasions. The pickled vegetables they sometimes serve as a complimentary appetizer are very tasty as is kim-chi. Korean BBQ is interesting as well but the other dishes I've tried have all been a bit too similar to one another. I have not tried it in Koreatown in NYC and it may well be different/better there.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:45 PM
nyc

There is no flat rate from LGA - it is metered will usually be under $30 to Manhattan.

JFK is now $35. EWR IS $34.
(both plus tolls as is the metered rate from LGA.)

If you don't believe me you can go to the web site for the port authority (which runs the 3 airports) and click on an airport, go to getting to and it has taxi information for each. The web site also lists alternate means of getting to the airports, which may be helpful to some tourists, especially if you're traveling alone.

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation.html

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 02:30 PM
nyer

more clarification:
As nyc ([email protected]) mentioned, there IS a fixed rate from JFK to Manhattan, there IS NOT a fixed rate from LGA, but also
there IS NOT one fixed rate from Newark to Manhattan. It goes by location, and according to that same website listed, can be from $34 up to $59 --all plus tips.
(And, don't forget, there are no set fares TO the airports. JFK metered fare is likely to be higher than the set fare (which is why cabbies keep trying to have the set fare raised again), LGA about the same, and Newark probably comparable (it's metered fare plus $10 surcharge)but remember when you're
going form Newark,you're taking a Newark NJ cab company, TO Newark, you're using a NYC cab company so don't expect the same fares)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO