New York New York

Jul 6th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

New York New York

Hi we're first time visiters to New York, New York. We are staying on Lex & 43st Manhattan. We are landing in JFK on a Saturday mid July at 5:30 pm EST. I was hoping to arrive is some style in this city of cities. So I wanted to get a cab from the airport to Staten Island Ferry Terminal (about $50 i think) then get the ferry (free) across the bay watching Manhattan getting bigger bigger, see the grand old lady liberty on her Island and land by boat in the new world like so many people before us. Then get from the ferry pier up to 43st?? (Not sure of best way to do this). The problems with this idea are
1) travelling at this time will we hit rush hour and will it be too dark by the time we get there?
2) we'll have 2 cases with us, the cases are easy to move on wheels but how will the work on the ferry? Has anyone done this before?
3) How much would a cab be from the ferry terminal on Manhattan to 43st?
4) Does this idea sound like a waste of time and effort?

Looking for any other useful info on Manhattan like areas to visit and restaraunts etc. Only have 4 days there before hiring a car and moving on.

Thanks,
pflan
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:49 AM

First time I saw lady liberty "in person" a few years ago, I kept saying Oh my God this is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life!!!
I can't even describe the feeling I had!

So I do understand why you want to do this, and all I can say is good luck with all the luggage. I would do the next day though. Hotel location sounds great!
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:14 AM

I'm not a regular on the US forum, but do live in NYC, and am moved by your idea of how to best arrive in NY!
Here's my thought: There will be lots of traffic coming into the city by cab, and you can save some money by getting a bus into town from the airport. There's one that drops you off at Grand Central Station at 41st and Park, close by to your hotel. The buses are a good way to go because they have a special traffic lane to themselves. You could then drop off your bags at the hotel, and get a cab to the Ferry for maybe about $15 or so- and enjoy driving throught the streets of Manhattan. The after your Ferry adventure, come back uptown, after enjoying a stroll in Battery Park.
"Too dark" won't apply in NYC, since our city truly never sleeps! Have the cab take you back to the hotel through Times Square!
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:17 AM

OOPs I forgot. Buy a copy of "Time Out" from a newstand. It will tell you what's going on around town, including lots of free events.

And welcome to NY, enjoy your stay!
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:26 AM

Sure. it'll take a little time. Sure, it won't be cheap. But, I say, "Go for it!" What a great way to get introduced to our great city!
Jul 6th, 2005, 05:43 AM

I think this sounds like a great idea - but it might be a pain in the butt in execution. Just too much hassle dragging the luggage around - but only you know how big the luggage is and how long you mind dragging it. (If it were carry-ons I would say go for it - but if it's sizeable cases on wheels it could be a lot of trouble.)

If you do decide to do it you will need to get a cab from South Ferry to your hotel on 43rd st - you really can;t do Manhattan bus or subway easily with luggage - lots of stairs, passages etc - not to mention too crowded. Don;t know how difficult that will be at that time of day. I would assume the cost would be no more than $15 or $20 including tip - but it depends strictly on how much traffic you hit.

For info on resrtaurants you need to tell us your favored cuisines and budget (in $ - and is this for the entree or the whole meal).

there are a bunch of threads above on what to see/do in New York. Tell us if you have any special intertests and people will make suggestions.

If you plane is on time you should not be too late to see the Statue at sunset. If your plane is substantially late, you have checked luggage and there is a lot of traffic you may end up doing this in the dark. (Check to see how often- and by how much - this flight is late.)

Separately, a lot of cab drivers in NYC have never been to Staten Island. If you do this have complete, detailed directions printed out - since he may well not have a clue where he is going. (There is a huge turnover in cab drivers, many are recent immigrants, few people take cabs to Staten Island - and I have run into drivers who don;t even know where major sites in Manhattan are.)
Jul 6th, 2005, 05:46 AM

Sorry for the above paras being out of order - somehow it got sucked into post when I hit preview.
Jul 6th, 2005, 07:34 AM
rqf

If you are not on your way to the ferry, from the airport, by 6 PM the latest , you might want to reconsider your plan. You want to make the 7 PM ferry. If you miss it the next ferry is at 8 PM. The sun will have set and it will be getting dark. Taxi fare from the airport to Manhattan is fixed at $45. With tip and toll the cost will be close to $55. A taxi from the ferry to the hotel will about $!5 with tip included. Traffic should not be a major problem,
Jul 6th, 2005, 07:49 AM

The idea doesn't sound like a wasted effort but it won't be very convenient. Luggage on the Staten Island ferry is not the norm. In order to really accomplish what you want to do, you really need to get to Staten Island and take the ferry from there TO Manhattan. Otherwise you'll be dragging luggage onto the ferry to Staten Island then off then back on for the return to Manhattan. The cab fare to Staten Island from JFK would be hefty I'd guess b/c it would be on the meter (vs to Manhattan which is $45 flat fare plus toll and tip anywhere in Manhattan). So...

1)You will hit rush hour traffic at that time although Sat. rush hour so not as bad as M-F

2) You'll wheel the suitcases on and off BUT keep in mind you're taking 2 ferries to do what you suggest--1 from NYC to SI then get off and get on another from SI to NYC.

3) A cab from the SI ferry dock in Manhattan to 43 st would cost around $20 but that would be on top of the ~$60 you'll have paid to get there from JFK.
Jul 6th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Meant to add I'd follow bellastar's advice. Get to the city (the bus to Grand Central is not a bad idea) and drop luggage). Then go downtown and ride the ferry. Alternatively, allow yourself some time and go to the Ellis Island Immigration museum and the Tenement Museum on the lower east side for a real view of the immigrant experience.
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Wow that's some good advice! I'm loving New Yorkers already.

$15 is fine for the cab from the pier.
I'm not sure what I'll do yet. I'll wait until I get there see what time it is and how much stuff we have (All that duty free). Either way I'm well informed, take care and God bless.
P.
Jul 7th, 2005, 05:55 AM

cool idea, but you could take a taxi to fulton landing in brooklyn, then get the water taxi around the south end of manhattan and it will take you right up to 43rd. smaller boat, more open, less luggage hauling.
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:11 AM

What a good idea Earl!!
Jul 7th, 2005, 08:15 AM

...but pflan the water taxi goes to WEST 43 st. while you're staying on east 43st. Still interesting thought.
Jul 7th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Forget the water taxi. The last stop on W 44th Street is at 6:39 on Saturdays. Which means you'd have to leave from Fulton Ferry at 5:46 PM. You won't make it.

PS The "rush hour" you're speaking of is probably the "theater rush" where everyone's trying to get to the West 40s by 7:30 or 7:45 to catch their 8PM show. Luckily, since you're staying on the east side, you can avoid it!