New York: New Museum on Bowery

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just curious if anyone has ventured to this recently opened museum on the Lower East Side. I think I'm going to try to check it out this weekend.

Not sure how I feel about the building design nor what I think about the seemingly permanently posted "hell yes" sign outside.

http://www.newmuseum.org/
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I'm also going to attempt to go this weekend or next - heard really great things.
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Here's a recent photo stream on flickr with photos if anyone wants a candid preview:

http://tinyurl.com/3cvjdv
Old Dec 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

oh and I meant to say hello traveler521!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 11:35 AM

I went to the New Museum last weekend. The art is realy bad, in my opinion, but it was about what I expected. I am from LA and I took 2 ladies from the mid-West but we were all cracking up- there was "art" that was honestly just piles of laundry, etc. I'm young and open-minded, but it was just silly. I always remind myself that I'm glad SOMEONE is pushing the envelopes, though!

On the "up" side- the building itself is obviously impressive. Although I think I like it better from the outside, to be honest. The exhibition space is small (which actually turned out to be a GOOD thing!), the much-discussed 50-foot-tall staircase was a let-down. There is a floor that has interactive stuff where you can research and that was good.

Not to be missed are the bathrooms in the basement level- really beautiful and unusual tile work. We went at night and I was disappointed that we couldn't see much of a view. It might be better in the daytime. Also, the building isn't really lit up at night so it's better to view from the outside during the daytime.

We went to the Chinese kitschy place Congee Village (on Bowery, a block away) for drinks beforehand, and to Freemans on Freeman Alley for dinner afterward (around the corner off of Rivington).

TIP: Put your name in to Freemans- it will be at least 1 1/2 hours wait- then go to the New Museum and/or get drinks at Congee Village while you wait!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for posting Poodle; hmm... sounds like I still need to experience it for myself. I'll prepare to be as mystified as I was on my last visit to P.S. 1 (Contemporary Art Museum in Queens).

I do like Freeman's, even with the wait. That's always a good spot to take visiting friends; hidden = special..
Old Dec 21st, 2007, 10:32 AM

Congee, or jook in Cantonese, is a rice porridge that is often served with a salted egg in it. And is often accompanied by a Chinese cruller. Congee Village is a bit of disappointment, but located away from Chinatown can be alternative.

The decor is not what I would describe as kitsch as much as standard Chinese restaurant decor. Kitsch is either done with forethought or has been there so long that it has been out of style twice.

We have not seen the collection at the mew museum. I am a member of an art coop that urges others to "Support Living Artists." I generally agree with the mission if an artist deserves support. The true test of any art is whether it can survive time and different cultures. (Much of the pop and op art survives, however,because of monterary investment, not because of the contributions.)

Some art is meant to laughed at and makes a point such as Marcel Duchamp,Max Ernst and many of the Dadaists. Much of modern work leaves me uneffected.

Artists are often asked to give an artist statement to accompnay their work. I detest them since they are either stilted or pretensous. And I am often derided because I think either an artist's work (fine artist, writer, musican) should speak for itself without an explanation. If needs an explanation that the artist failed to convery his/her sentiment.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 10:48 AM
yk

Question for those of you who have visited the New Museum:

Have you been to the SKY ROOM in the museum? It looks like it's an empty room with a 360 degree view of Manhattan. It is only open to public on weekends, and I'm not sure if I should adjust my visit accordingly. The New Museum will fit in my itin better if I go on a Friday, but if you think the SKY ROOM is not-to-be-missed, I will try to visit it on a weekend instead. Any insights/comments are welcome.
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
yk

ttt

Anyone can tell me anything about the Sky Room?