Search

New York In Winter?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2001, 07:00 PM
AR

New York In Winter?

My sister-in-law and I are planning a trip for our moms and mother-in-law the last weekend in November. Obviously a cold time in NY. My mother-in-law has challenges with her knees. Any recommendations for must see attractions that do not require as much walking and can be tolerated in the cold? We want to include the Radio City Music Hall's Christmas Spectacular as well as a Braodway show. Thanks for your help!

Old May 19th, 2001, 09:17 PM
Sarah

I was in NYC last Thanksgiving and while it was definitely cold out, the weather was bearable for walking around. I live in Southern California and so if I could tolerate the weather, it obviously wasn't too bad. Fortunately it was just cold, but we didn't encounter any rain or snow the entire week we were back there. Just make sure to take warm scarves for the windy days. When the wind came up, we either hopped on a bus or the subway to get to our next destination and managed just fine.

The Radio City Music performance really gets you in the mood for the season. And it's a perfect weekend to enjoy all of the seasonal window displays in the big department stores.

As for Broadway show tickets, we managed to take in 5 plays during the first part of the week before the big crowds came into the city for the holiday weekend. We actually had no trouble getting great seats at the discount booth for all of the hit shows that we wanted to see. If the weather gets really cold and is unbearable, your mother in law might find it easier to wait in line at the ticket booth at the World Trade Center since it's an indoor location.

I suggest that you also think about a lunch at the Tavern on the Green. While it's a little pricey, the decorations are wonderful.

Old May 20th, 2001, 05:28 AM
Howard

Sarah is correct about the theater. It's an excellent time for having a choice at the TKTS half-price booths.
Unfortunately for your mother-in-law, New York is a walking city! Going to the top of the Empire State Building (especially at night) and/or the World Trade Center don't require much walking!
The chances are slim that you'll encounter any show, it will probably be too cold for a Circle Line cruise or the Staten Island Ferry.

Old May 20th, 2001, 06:04 AM
Owen O'Neill

Best advice for NYC in November is to have layers that will ward off the winds. The weather can be quite tolerable at that time of year in NYC but the wold winds can be truly bitter. If one of your days (or several) will include shopping and going around to various parts of the city for short stops, you might consider hiring a car/limo service for the afternoon. They can be contracted for by the hour -you'll have far more legroom than in a cab and won't stand in the cold waiting for one. Also keep in mind that some attractions such as Empire State Building don't require extensive walking but will require standing on line for a significant period of time.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Kathy

NYC weather varies tremendously in winter, but I've found it generally quite tolerable. Definitey do the Radio City Christmas Show -- definitely hokey in some ways, but it WILL get you into the season and is well-worth seeing! Can't go too wrong with a Broadway play-- there's something out there for every taste!

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Jacque

Get a hat!! When we were in NYC in November the cold was tolerable but when the wind kicked up, our ears froze!

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 04:32 PM
rqf

You can get by with a minimum of walking by using the subway and buses to get around. For $4 dollars a day you get unlimited rides on both. This metro card can be purchased from a vending machine in any subway station in Manhattan. If you group your activites by area you will also minimize walking. Once you know where you will be staying and what you wnat to see post this information and you will get replies on how to get to each site with a minimum of walking.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Rachel

One bit of advice...If you can do it take cabs. Public transportation is fine if you know where you are going but can be challenging (and may include walking) if you are unsure. If you enjoy flea markets there is one on 78th and Columbus that has hot cider donuts, fresh trees, etc. It only runs on Sundays. Stop and have brunch at the Popover Cafe (87th and Amsterdam). Good Luck!