Reload this Page >

Kauai...where to stay?

Search

Kauai...where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 10:36 AM
Michele

Kauai...where to stay?

Any recommendations as to a reasonable hotel/condo? What can you tell me about the Poipu area vs. the Coconut coast? Is 3 nights enough time for touring the island? Any stay at the Marriott on Kauai

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:21 PM
Jacque

We stayed at the Marriot on Kauai a few years back. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is enormous, and the service was terrific. We also found it pretty central to everything we wanted to see. Just be warned, even though this is a "beachfront" property I was a little miffed when we got there. The resort is actually inside of a big bay. The opening to the bay is quite a ways out and quite narrow so the "open ocean" is in the far distance. They do have a beach but don't plan on much body surfing in the waves (there aren't many). However, if you have kids with you this may be an advantage.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:36 PM
kwl

We recently returned from Kauai and stayed on the Coconut Coast. I would not recommend that part of the island. Althought it is central to both the North Shore and Poipu, you can't go to any of the beaches. It is extremely windy, and the "beaches" had strong current warnings. So, we spent all of our time travelling to beaches.

Next time we go, we will spend 1/2 week on the North Shore and the other 1/2 week on the South Shore. That way we will get the best of both worlds.

This was our first visit to Kauai, and we stayed 3 nights as well. This was not nearly enough; possibly due to all the travelling around the island. So, next time it will be a week.

Have a good trip.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 09:42 PM
Carol

Kauai has strong tradewinds...therefore, strong currents... Much of Poipu is still being rebuilt...funds are slow in coming...hurricane damage. There is one gorgeous beach, but I have forgotten the location...South Pacific and an Elvis movie were filmed there. Also, there is a black sand beach at the end of the island...near some caves...okay for sunbathing only...sand comes and goes...
Kauai is the Garden Isle....one does not go there for the beaches... Helicopter rides are out of this world...lots of waterfalls and rainbows on Kauai...fly over Waimea Canyon and Napali Coast areas...wettest spot on earth at Fern Grotto...over 300 inches per year...fun boat ride to Grotto...Wailua is calm. Kauai and Lanai (especially Lanai), are definitely more relaxing than the other islands...3 days are okay...but it just depends on what you want to do...they are definitely not luau-hula-show types of islands. Drive to lighthouse is windy, too, but very pretty at road's end..thousands of birds nest on side of cliff above ocean... If the wind dies down, protect yourself from mosquitos.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 12:58 AM
koa

Coconut coast area is cheaper. If you dont plan to spend a lot of time in the room, the area is good. Lydgate beach has good snorkeling and protected from the waves. Poipu has been totally restored exept the Waiohai, which is currently being rebuilt by Marriott.There are lots of beaches. Polihale, barking sands, Secret beach, kealia, just to name a few.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Margot

While I agree with the above poster Carol, on most of her info, I couldn't disagree more about her assessment of Kauai's beaches. As an annual visitor to this island, I am never disappointed in the variety of beach experiences Kauai has to offer. Poipu, while having sustained the worst of the hurricane damage in 1992, has come back strong now, and most of the properties that were shut down have reopened. The newest construction is on the grounds of the old Stouffer's Waiohai, which is being rebuilt as a Marriot timeshare. Poipu Beach State Park (next door to this construction) is a great family beach with calm waters, where you can almost always spot a Hawaiian monk seal , and I think the beautiful beach Carol might have been referring to is Mahaulepu Beach, which is indeed magnificent, though hard to find. I agree that while the Coconut coast is centrally located, it's my least favorite part of the island, and I would much rather stay in either Poipu or Princeville and drive longer than stay on the east side, but that's just my own preferences. As one of the previous posters pointed out, if you're just looking for a convenient place to stay to use as a "home base", the Coconut coast will do just fine. As for the question of whether or not 3 days is enough for Kauai...let me just say that 2 weeks is never enough for me! Aloha and have fun!

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 05:53 AM
Ross

Hello Everyone!!!

Has anyone stayed at the Radisson right outside of Lihue? Any comments?

Thanks, Ross.

Old Jun 6th, 2001, 06:11 AM
Louise

On the advise of another poster I bought a book called "The Ultimate Kauai Handbook". It is an excellent book and gives you good advise on where to stay, go and eat. We are mainly interested in snorkeling and reading the book found that snorkeling is good in the winter on the south shore but in the summer the north shore is the place to be. The reason being the condition of the water (roughness) switches. This may be why there are differing opinions on the beaches. We are off in two weeks and because I couldn't find more or less exactly what I wanted regarding accomodations we chose the east coast and will travel off in both directions according to what we feel like for the day.