Reload this Page >

New York in December

Search

New York in December

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Sam

New York in December

My wife and I will be in NY early in Dec. and thinking about staying at one of the hotels around Central Park as I have been told it is very convenient to many places and also a good place to be during the holidays. Any suggestions on hotel or restaurants would be appreciated. Thanks

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:31 PM
ny'r

Suggestions on your budget or interests would help you get a better reply!

Generally, the hotels around Central Park are some of the priciest in the city. In December, you'll want to stay in the mid 40's to about 60th street between Park and 8th avenues to be within walking distance of shopping, Rockefeller center (tree), broadway shows, etc. There's 100's of hotels to choose from.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Money

If money is not object, a suite (not a regular room) at The Plaza, The Pierre, The Sherry Netherland, or The Ritz-Carlton.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:25 PM
Money

Or if you want luxury and not on Central Park, The St. Regis, The Waldorf Towers, or The Carlyle.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Susan

My husband and I were both born and raised in N.Y.C.. A couple of years ago we had some free nights at a Hyatt of our choice and decided to "play tourist" in N.Y. to see things from another perspective. There are many "magical" things about N.Y. in December but one of the favorite things we did was to dine at Tavern on the Green (in Central Park) on Christmas day. If you go ask for seating in the Crystal Room--it should be all "decked" out for the season by early December.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
samschack

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. Actually our budget is not limitless but we are willing to spend enough to stay in a nice place, say $300-$500 or so daily. Also, I've heard Central Park is quite safe to walk these days, is that true?

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 07:41 AM
NYer

$500 probably will not get you into any of the above hotels (except the Grand Hyatt Or the Stanhope) on a weekend in December.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Lisa

Central Park is perfectly safe unless you're wandering alone through a wooded area at 3am.

But, then again, I wouldn't wander alone through a wooded area in my hometown at 3am, either.

By the way, according to NYPD crime statistics, in all of last year (2001) there were a grand total of 1 murder, 3 rapes, 10 assaults, 7 burglaries, and 69 instances of stolen property in the entire Central Park precinct (which is 2.5 miles long with 58 miles of pedestrian paths & 6 miles of roads.) So far, 8 months into this year, there have been 0 murders, 2 rapes, 8 assaults, 4 burglaries and 52 instances of stolen property. Your chances of being a crime victim are slim to none.

On any given day, you will be one of thousands of people walking, cycling, etc through Central Park.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Christina

I'm was thinking about NYC in December as well. I heard it's so beautiful with all the decorations and Xmas atmosphere.

Any suggestions for a budget of $150-$250 per night? Is that unreasonable for December? I'm not looking for a suite, but I don't want a roach motel either.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:27 PM
Beenie

You should be able to find pleny of 3 star hotels under $250 but why do that when you can go four star on priceline cheaper? Go to biddingfortravel.com and read.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Amy

I'm staying at the Wellington Hotel in NYC in December for a rate of $189 per night. It's supposed to be an excellent location. And it's a 3 star facility.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Lois

Amy, I bet you could get a better hotel than the Wellington in a similar location (midtown west) for $189 in December. At that time of year there may be few conventions, and some of the big hotels have to hustle to fill those rooms. Check rates on Expedia for a newer hotel in that area; Priceline of course would be definitely cheaper, but use Expedia if it's a important to you to know exactly where you'll be staying. I've never stayed at the Wellington, but based on outside appearance, age of the property, etc., I doubt that it's very nice. For that price, believe me, you could be more comfortable.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Janet

Grand Hyatt or the Stanhope?
Since when did those become paragons of upscale lodging in NYC?
If you want the best, sam, you want the Four Seasons, the St. Regis or the new Ritz Carlton on CP.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:13 PM
bella

Just got back from a 3 day stay in NYC. We stayed at the Plaza Hotel, which is right on Central Park. Cannot say enough about the location. We were very happy with the service, room size, etc, and got a bargain from Expedia ($199 per night). Good luck!!!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Blue

When did anyone call the Grand Hyatt or Stanhope upscale lodging? The poster said they were one of the hotels they could get into in a specific price range.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Amy

Lois, can you suggest some hotels for me to contact. I have the room on hold, but it's not reserved yet at the Wellington.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Lois

There are so many in the midtown west area--a good idea, if you plan on going to the theater at night, to be within walking distance. If you want to gamble and save money, book through Priceline. The hotels you are most likely to get would be NY Hilton or Sheraton Center, since these are the two biggest. You could check bidding for travel to see rates/hotels. Or, look on Expedia. You should see reasonable rates for the NY Hilton or Sheraton Center (on 7th Ave); these are not super luxury/atmosphere hotels, but are definitely much better than the Wellington. If you see a good rate for the Westin Essex House on Expedia, grab it. One lady posting here just got a great rate for the Plaza. Also check out the Parker Meridien on W 57th, the Warwick if you like old-fashioned charm. If you want to go into the W 40's, look at prices for the Muse; also, I hear the Sofitel on W 44th is very good, and reasonably priced. At all these hotels, after you book on a bargain site, call the hotel before you arrive to ask for a quiet room/high floor/away from traffic noise. The nicest hotel in that area, IMHO, is the Michelangelo on 7th/51st; just see what their rate is on Expedia, and if it's sort of close to your budget, go for it.

Old Sep 19th, 2002, 11:42 AM
sam

Thanks for the replies to my query--I think I have narrowed down to Central Park Intercontinental, LeMeridien, or Plaza although I have been told that at the lower rate range (for them) the Plaza may not offer a very good view compared to the others. The Cent.Park Intercontinental seems like a nice place but are the rooms reasonably sized?