Reload this Page >

New York Hotels and Shows

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:50 AM
Kathy

We will be in NYC Thurs-Sun. nites, end of Sept. - considering the Hilton-Midtown but open to suggestions - haven't been able to find any show tickets - does anyone know how to get tickets to the Lettermen show? We are meeting our 20 yr. old daughter and it will be the 1st trip for all of us. Any ideas?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:26 AM
GOL

This info is a yr old.. and taken from a NYTimes article on 5/14/2000

Most of the shows web sites have advance and standby ticket info. The complete article lists how to get tix to many of the shows with audiences.

---

"Late Show With David Letterman" on CBS tapes Mondays
through Thursdays at 5:30
p.m. (and again at 8 p.m. on Thursday for Friday) at 1697
Broadway at West 53rd Street.
For advance tickets: Send a postcard to Late Show Tickets,
Ed Sullivan Theater, 1697
Broadway, New York, N.Y. 10019. Two tickets per postcard;
possible nine-month wait.
Standby tickets: call (212) 247-6497 at 11 a.m.; phones are
answered until all tickets are
gone for the day. Must be 18 or over.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 07:44 AM
kch

Chances are you are too late to send in for Lettermen tix, but i believe they still do stand by. Do a search on this board for some tips on getting tickets. Also do a web search. Letterman has a site with information as well.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:31 AM
Caitlin

http://www.nytix.com/index.html

This site has all the info on TV show tix in NYC.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 07:51 AM
Penny

Kathy,

We did the same kind of trip last September, but just Friday-Sunday, and also again in April.

Both times we made a bunch of reservations through travel Web sites--by first checking them out online and then calling to make reservations--and then cancelled them when we found better deals. In April we stayed at the Crowne Plaza, where we got a good late rate from hoteldiscounts.com.

In September we used travelweb.com.

By searching this forum you should be able to find more information about sites you can check--but both these worked great for us. My only advice is to definitely print out your confirmation if you make the res. on the Web. Sometimes even if you make the res. by phone they'll send you an e-mail confirmation. Print it and keep it. Sometimes the hotel staff isn't up to date on what's happening with other deals.

The Crowne Plaza is right on broadway and was an excellent location. The hotel last year, the Meridien, was right across the street from Carnegie Hall. It was a fine location but we would choose the Crowne Plaza again. You might also check their Web site to see if they have any special deals. Bounce around the Internet. Make lots of calls. In many cases you can cancel up to 24 hours in advance--so what's to hurt from having 3 or 4 reservations at different places?

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 10:25 AM
thereuare

I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend (did i mention how HIGHLY I recommend this?) you get tickets to see Blue Man Group if you've never seen them before (Astor Place theater). It is the second best show i've ever seen (with Mystere in Las Vegas being the best) and is truly a show that the whole family will enjoy. It transends(??) all age groups and generations.

Old Aug 22nd, 2001, 09:37 PM
Babs

I think the Letterman show is on a break until the end of August.

Old Aug 23rd, 2001, 04:41 PM
Eileen

The best deal on show tickets can be at TKTS booths. There is one located in Times Square and another (much less crowded) in the World Trade Center. Tickets are sold here for available shows at up to 50% off the day of (or day before on weekends) a show. I saw Miss Saigon, Proof, Les Miserables and Riverdance all at half price.

The Hilton in Midtown is nice, as is the Marriott Millenium at Times Square and the Sheraton on either 7th or 8th Ave in the lower 50s.

Old Aug 25th, 2001, 06:41 PM
kathy

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO RESPONDED TO MY NOTE...HAVE LOTS OF PLACES TO CHECK OUT, THANKS TO YOUR SUGGESTIONS...
WILL POST NOTES FROM MY TRIP IN OCTOBER