Search

New York Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 07:24 PM
mh

New York Hotels

I know there are so many posts about this but my dilemma is this: I have a 50% off hotel certificate for a 2 night stay. My husband and I are going in Feb. Which of these hotels would you stay at that is nice, convenient to broadway theaters, shopping, etc.? Hilton New York and Towers (which I have stayed at), Waldorf-Astoria (is it really that nice?), Grand Hyatt NY, Crowne Plaza Manhattan or Hotel Intercontinental?

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 08:14 PM
Brian Kilgore

I stayed at the Hilton a year ago, and found it just plain big and dull, devoid of any personality. We walked through the lobby of the Waldorf, and just doing this was an adventure. If you want to be near Broadway theaters, and stay in a nice hotel while you're at it, the Crowne Plaza is a good bet. Can't comment on the Hyatt or Intercontinental.
I'd pick the Crowne Plaza.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:22 AM
Mary

The Walforf at any price.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:29 AM
martha python

Brian's description of the Hilton holds for the Grand Hyatt, too.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 07:10 AM
howard

For location, either the Crowne Plaza (in the heart of Times Square and the theater district) or the Hilton (convenient to both theater district and Fifth Avenue shopping).
However, Mary does have a point about the Waldorf-Astoria. It still has some of its old magic! But, it's not as convenient to the theater and you'd probably need a need for that. Also, the areas around both the Waldorf and the Hyatt are quiet at night.
Oh yes, I don't think the Hilton or the Hyatt are bad as some of previous posters has said!

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 07:45 AM
lisa

The Waldorf can be very nice but it totally depends on the room, and the rooms vary widely by price. The service is very good and the lobby and common areas are particularly lovely. The food is good too. I agree that it's not nearly as convenient to the theatre district as e.g. the Crowne Plaza but you really can't compare the two. The Waldorf is one of the old-style Grande Dames of New York, not a big institutional chain hotel. It just depends on what kind of an experience you're looking for. Even at 50% off the Waldorf can still be quite pricey for what you get, but it is definitely special. But if convenience to Broadway is your primary consideration, I'd choose the Crowne Plaza.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 08:58 AM
mh

Thank you all for your comments! I know the Hilton and the Hyatt can be the cookie cutter hotel sometimes but I guess its not as bad as others. I'm going to go with the Crown Plaza since it seems more convenient to broadway. Thank you very much!