New York Habitat apartments

Jul 12th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Original Poster

New York Habitat apartments

Hi all, has anyone used the agency New York Habitat to rent a short term apartment in New York? Are they legit? How was your experience? I'm a bit nervous because they sent me pictures but the email says they might be of a different apartment. Thanks.
Jul 13th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Anyone? (need to confirm reservation ASAP)
Also, how is the area around 49th Street and 9th Avenue in NYC?
Thanks.
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:15 AM

Don't now NY Habitat - is it Citi Habitats? 49th and 9th is fine. A little bit of no-man's land in my opinion but safe.
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM

With most NY Habitat apartments you actually deal with the owner. We rented via them once and had a slight problem with the owner. He told us to deal with him directly next time and avoid the high fees from NY Habitat, and friends of mine did just that, but never got their deposit back and actually arrived to find someone else in the apartment and the owner put them up in a friend's place for the night. Later I contacted NY Habitat and informed them of this situation and explained that the owner had asked us to book directly. They knew of the problems already and had since removed his listing from their files, so they do some follow through on what they represent.

As to the area of 49th and 9th -- I love it. But it depends on the apartment of course, the wonderful Worldwide Plaza is right there with fantastic places, but there are a few 4th or 5th floor walk up places that are real dumps. What is the one you are looking at?
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:18 AM

There is a Habitat on tripadvisor at E. 57th St. The reviews aren't good.
Jul 13th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I'm assuming the poster is referring to the huge list of privately owned, but listed apartments on www.nyhabitat.com
Jul 13th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I used them to rent an apartment in Paris earlier this year, and everything worked out fine. When I had a slight problem communicating with the owner, and was worried about timing, I emailed NY Habitat and got a prompt response. They are expensive, but as I say, I got what I wanted through them.
Jul 13th, 2007, 08:17 AM

jarredk-Don't know what you mean about 9th and 49th being a no-man's land. I am with NeoPatrick. I love that area,too. Great little restaurants on 9th and easy access to subways, theater, etc.
Jul 13th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all, I just booked it. Hope it works out.