Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York for one day... what not to miss..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 04:23 AM
Kimerley

My husband is going to the US for a month end of March. He has one free day in New York on a Sunday. What are the must see for his one day of being a tourist...

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 04:30 AM
Paul Rabe

If he likes art museums, the Metropolitan Museum of Art will take up his entire day, and be worth every minute.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:26 AM
Jim

On a Sunday, I highly recommend Riverside Church. A little less known and off the beaten path location, but a spectacular carillon (bell tower) with great views of the city. Bells are only played on Sundays so that's the best time to go. Website for more info is http://www.theriversidechurchny.org/about_carillon.html

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Chris

I would try to take the SHORT (90 minute) Circle line cruise around lower Manhattan. Goes by the Liberty, Ellis Island, under the Brooklyn Bridge, and there are spectacular skyscraper views all the way. For natives it might seem corny, but it's a wonderful experience and a way to see the city from the water. Allow just two hours. And it will be chilly ... If Circle Line is closed in March, I know NY Waterways have tours that early. Also he MUST go to Times Square at night to see the lights. If he does a late afternoon cruise, there are free shuttles directly into the heart of Times Square at dusk, so there's a way. Other than these two "musts," there are so many things to see and do, it's a matter of personal taste. Most of the better guidebooks have sections called, "If you have only one day ..." or such and it's worth doing at least a little research.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 07:25 PM
George

Empire state building, Metropolitan museum, chinatown, greenwich village,

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 02:36 AM
John

Kim:

Tell him just to get a good map from the Hotel and head downtown. Walk, ride, but just get out and about. Sundays will be a bit quiet but the perfect time to see the City@
JOHN