Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York dining choice, Bugswife or others in the know?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen your post about Walse and your recent post on Per Se. I am looking to fill one dinner slot, possibly pre-theater. I am trying to do most ethnic on this trip and am looking at Walse, Firebird or Aquavit? Which is best?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:40 AM

Try a search on chowhound.com for good honest discussions on Per Se, Firebird and Aquavit. Do you mean Wallse? Go to Chowhound's Manhattan message board for many other suggestions.
Are you interested in ethnic food such as Vietnamse? Nam at West Broadway & Church is good or Monsoon at 81 and Amsterdam.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 10:45 AM

I just loved Wallse. However, that is about as far from the theater district as you can get. You'd have to eat very early in order to get to theater on time. Comparing Firebird to Aquavit is sort of unfair. Aquavit is very formal, designer food fine dining. Firebird is more casual comfort food. You can't go wrong with either. I never go for fine dining before theater because I don't like to rush a meal like that. So, although Aquavit would be more my style, I would go with Firebird.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. We have several different ethnic restaurant covered so I was looking for something European but not French or Italian. I wanted German, Scandanavian, Ukranian or just something a little out of the ordinary but good. Is there another recommendation I am overlooking?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:32 PM

I have to say, I probably described Firebird wrong. It really isn't 'down home' kind of cooking, it is just more hearty fare. More casual due to its theater district locale, but definitely worthy of excellent ratings.

I really don't know what else to suggest in that neighborhood, so if you are going to stray outside of the area, go to Wallse.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:07 PM

Milos, Estiatorio =Greek. Excellent fish.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:18 PM

IMHO one of the best restaurants in the city is Danube down on Hudson. And it is Austrian which would fit into your European search.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:47 PM
mp

milliebz - price range would help define your desires - Wallse is a wonderful, "New Austrian" restaurant - not exactly what everyone thinks of when one uses the term "ethnic." Ethnic kinda connotes a more casual, earthy, informal place, usually pretty inexpensive.

Aquavit is a wonderful, upscale, almost formal Scandanavian restaurant - hushed, serene and pricy - expect to spend a minimum of $50 per person there, I think. Wallse is a bit cheaper, but is downtown, in the far West Village - not exactly a good place on a theatre night.

If you are loooking for a more informal, but terrific place with great German food in the theatre district, you might like Hallo Berlin. their sausages (wursts) are great - and they have a terrific selection of beers. Two locations, 51st and 10th and one on W. 44th St. too.
Susie QQ's suggestion of Danube is right in that it's a great place - but it too is very expensive - it's David Bouley's Austrian place, in Tribeca - also not convenient for pre- theatre.
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all very much! I am going to check our all of the recommendations. My definition of ethnic food is anything that is not American food or the standard French and Italian regardless of formality or price. I live in the Denver area and of course we have Greek, Italian and French and Indian but do not have the selection of the more obscure types of cuisine like Scandanavian, Austrian, German. There is a new Russian restaurant I am going to try.