Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City Room for no more than $100 a night ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be celebrating our year anniversary and want to stay in the city for no more than $100 a night (for three nights). Can anyone help us find a nice hotel (please)...
(Feb. 10 for three nights)
thank you

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:37 PM

Sorry, my only suggestion to you would be Priceline.

Good luck, and hope someone else has a better solution.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 09:19 PM

I would highly recommend visiting www.biddingfortravel.com and learning to bid on Priceline as well, but checking in on a Saturday can be problematic...

Seriously, $100/night will be an enormous challenge, even in February.

I am loathe to recommend staying outside the city and "commuting" in each day, but...
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 09:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mike_b12: I'll assume you are traveling to NYC from somewhere else. Because $100 rooms are pretty scarce in most large cities, but especially so in New York.

Either 1) cut back to 1 night and book a decent $250-$300 room, 2) cut back to 2 nights and use priceline, or 3) select a less expensive place to celebrate your anniversary.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 02:13 AM

The Grand Union Hotel has double rooms for $110 for February 10-13. This is not a luxury hotel, but it gets overall good reviews on Trip Advisor. It's on 32nd St between Park & Madison and the Website is http://www.grandunionhotelnewyork.com/bookit.asp

Priceline is always worth a shot (also read www.betterbidding.com) but just because you bid doesn't mean you will win something in your range.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 02:29 AM

And on PL you really need to bid on at least a 3* or be prepared for a less than great hotel room. And when you bid, the taxes will be added on. You might look at Hotwire first to see how much taxes will be--they will give a final total but you don't have to accept it.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 02:44 AM
mdn

You may be better off trying to get some apartment off Craig's list. A lot of people in the city who leave town for a few days (vacations, business trips etc), rent their places out for a few days at attractive prices. You could find a decent apartment in a desirable location for that price if you get lucky. Even if you succeed in getting a hotel for under $100, it may not be desirable.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 03:15 AM

You'd have better chance looking into the far-flung areas of the boroughs, or even nearby New Jersey. I cringe to think of the kind of room and location you may end up getting for $100, if you find one here in NYC. I'm almost certain that it won't be near the "nice hotel" that you require.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:06 AM

There may be options for $100/night like a private room in a hostel (i.e. YMCA Vanderbilt) but you'd still have to use a communal bathroom and I think the beds are only singles. Not ideal for an anniversary stay.

Here are some options that I don't think would be terrible.

>The Larchmont hotel is a nice place in Greenwich Village. The "but" is you have to share a bathroom but it's not like a dormitory. Check reviews on tripadvisor.com
http://www.larchmonthotel.com/rates.htm
Double $109.00 to $120.00
Queen $129.00

>There's a special on travelzoo for the Metro hotel which is very nice for $139/night plus tax.
http://hotels.travelzoo.com/new-york-hotels/274651

>On Priceline, most people generally only bid for 4* hotels in NYC b/c the hotels in that category are all good (vs. some real duds in lower categories), you generally don't pay that much less for a 3* and 4*s give you more options for free re-bids. The best I've seen for a 4* is $110/night plus tax. However, I do see on biddingfortravel.com 3 instances where people have payed under $100 recently. Someone "won" the Paramount (3* midtown west) for $99. (The rooms here are miniscule but the place is trendy and well located). 2 people also got the new Chelsea Holiday Inn Express for $55-60 (2/5 * midtown south). I'd be really worried to try that though b/c the Ramada New Yorker, possibly one of the worst hotels in NYC, is at the same star level in the same location and you could just as easily win that.

Finally, one option for a cheaper room is to stay outside Manhattan. Many people have started using the hotels in Jersey City that are near a PATH train (like a subway) to get into Manhattan. The nicest is the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City and that's being won on Priceline (3* Jersey City) for under $100/night ($65-75!). The only other hotel in the same area/level is the Doubletree Club and that's ok too.

Jersey City is in the New York area airports and surrounding zones section of Priceline. Here's the page on BFT
http://p070.ezboard.com/fpricelinean...abiddingfrm266

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:15 AM

One other thought, Mike, if you live in the area and will have a car, people have reported good things about the Holiday Inn in Ft. Lee. It's right near the GW bridge. There is bus service from there into the city, but it's evidently a bit hairy getting back having to cross a busy highway. But some people have stayed there with a car for about $100/night, driven the car over the bridge into the city and parked on the upper westside for the day. If you want to consider that, iconparking.com is a great website for finding a well priced garage. But bring a printout of the price you got online with you.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:12 AM

At least I hope you mean $100 before taxes, which will make it what? -- $116 after? I forget exactly what the hotel taxes are these days.
But "nice" and $100 in New York really don't belong in the same sentence. The best I could do after a lot of work and dropping a star on Priceline was $160 (before taxes) but it happened to be a very busy weekend when everything was already pretty well sold out. Maybe you'll be luckier.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:18 AM

you will not find it unless you go outside of manhattan. maybe try craig's list and you MIGHT find someone subletting their apt (while they're on vacation) for around that amount, but even that could be a challenge. Youth hostel? Just kidding..I suppose you get the point that $100 is unrealistic by Manhattan standards. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:31 AM
GoTravel

Don't go outside Manhattan.

I agree with mclaurie, cut down on the number of nights and up your hotel allowance.

Trust me, you really don't want to stay in a hotel that has a rack rate of $100 per night in Manhattan. Unless of course you don't mind a twin bed and a shared bath.

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to clarify the 3rd option in my post -- "or 3) select a less expensive city to celebrate your anniversary"

I notice that most of your posts are about Europe (I must admit I was just checking to see if you might be a troll) - anyway, you won't find the same sorts of bargains in NYC as you can in many European cities.

Is NYC set in stone? Because $100 will go a lot farther in some other cities. I would not go near any $100 (or many $200) hotels in NYC for a special anniversary celebration. There are some decent low-ish cost places (see some of the ones mentioned above) but not special, "nice", or even nice-ish ones.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 05:58 AM

My recommendation is to go as far up the Hudson River valley as you need to until you find a decent hotel for $100, and then take the train into the city (there will be a train cost and cost of your time, of course). I agree with many that the quality of room you would get for $100 in the City will be suspect. Maybe it can be done, but I have a feeling you would spend hours upon hours trying to find that perfect deal. Then it becomes a question of what your time is worth.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:30 AM
mdn

If you get the Hyatt in Jersey City for under $100, you should take it. Absolutely no problems getting to Manhattan & back from there (PATH train very near the hotel), the hotel is pretty much on the water & you'll get some beautiful views of the Manhattan skyline from there.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:32 AM

I know "someone"..my sister in fact. She got the Waldorf Astoria through Priceline for $100 in July.

It's even nicer than nice...

February 10th shouldn't be difficult, I'd start trying PL now then every day for a 4* in all Zones. PL has changed, you can bid every 24 hours not 72.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:46 AM

Actually you can get a hotel around your budget through www.hotels.com. I was looking last night for the begining of January and was surprised that the rates seem to be much better.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would look in areas you can stay outside the city that would allow easy travel in on the train. I think $100, unless it's a Priceline bid, in NYC could be kinda scary.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 10:52 AM

It depends on what you mean by nice. If you bid Priceline carefully you should get something clean and in a reasonable location.

If by nice you mean any degree of luxury - $100 is not even close - even in Feb. (The Lucerne, for example, a pleasant and somewhat pretty 3* on the upper west side has internet specials in low season for around $200.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -