Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City play and musical recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:00 PM
lisa

I get up to New York 3-4 times a year to see theatre and visit friends. At the moment I haven't been since last spring, am planning 1-2 trips up there within the next few months, and am really looking forward to seeing something wonderful. I'm reading the New York mags and newspapers (and websites) but would also like to hear personal recommendations. Has anyone seen anything lately that really knocked your socks off? I enjoy straight plays more than musicals, generally, but am open to anything on- or off-Broadway (or off-off) -- particularly something with really outstanding performances. To get an idea of my taste, in the past I have enjoyed Angels in America (both parts -- wow, brilliant writing, fantastic performances, and it's really ABOUT something), How I Learned to Drive (Mary Louise Parker and David Morse were amazing), The Lion King (incredibly creative), Freak (John Leguizamo's one man show -- so funny), Rent (loved most of the music and thought most of the performances were terrific), Les Miserables (wow, fantastic story AND music AND performances), Master Class (Zoe Caldwell and Audra McDonald were so good), M Butterfly (Anthony Hopkins -- unbelievable), Hamlet (the one a few years ago with Ralph Fiennes, who was fab), and Prelude to a Kiss (creative concept, well-written). A few that I did not think were so great were The Weir (boring), Art (one joke stretched out over 90 minutes), Phantom of the Opera (I know, I'm in the minority on that one -- I liked a couple of the songs but otherwise couldn't see what all the hoopla was about), Aspects of Love (ditto), Blood Brothers (too melodramatic), Tommy (ugh -- hated it), and Miss Saigon (tried to make up for slim content with overproduction).

Any suggestions for what's GREAT right now? I don't mind paying major $$$ as long as it's outstanding (beats paying half-price for something mediocre). Thinking about Contact, Cabaret (although they've changed the cast so many times that I can't keep track of who's in it), The Tale of the Allergist's Wife, Dinner with Friends, Proof. Not interested in The Full Monty (saw the film and really enjoyed it but don't feel the need to pay mucho dinero to see it live on stage), The Dinner Party, or Blue Man Group. Other suggestions?

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:04 PM
GOL

Jane Eyre is coming... Still looking for any factual info. But you'd be one of the first to see it.
[Also Suessical, too]

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:28 PM
howard

Recommended straight plays:
*Dinner with Friends--deserving of its Pulitzer Prize
*Fully Committed--very funny one-man show about an out-of-work actor working as a telephone reservation clerk in a popular trendy restaurant.
*Proof--just moved from Off-Broadway to Broadway, with an outstanding Mary-Louise Parker in the lead.
*The Tale of the Allergist's Wife--a very funny, funny show with a great performance by Linda Lavin.
Musicals:
*Contact--it's the best, one of the most creative shows you'll ever see, but only if you like dancing.
*Cabaret--still a good show, with Lea Thompson doing a super job as Sally Bowles.
*Kiss Me, Kate--a classy revival definitely worth seeing.
*The Fully Monty--Just opened to great reviews.
Want more?

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 12:59 PM
Patrick

In addition to those above I'm looking forward to my trip in December. Also seeing Julliet Binoche (I know I didn't spell that right) in Harold Pinter's Betrayal at the Roundabout. Promises to be exciting theatre for a limited run.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 06:07 PM
Ben

Lisa,
Contact certainly reaped the awards and the press attention, but the first two parts of the three-act musical (the creator prefers to call it a dance-play) are boring. It's the third act that features the famous woman in the yellow dress. That part is fantastic, but that's the only great part of the musical.
Plays: Dirty Blonde. Very creative. It features just three actors doing all the parts. Great music, well written. The New York Times called it the year's best play. I agree.
Musicals: Chicago. You may have already seen it by now, but it was fantastic Fossie at his best. Witty lines, great dancing.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:34 AM
lisa

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

Also, what's the buzz on Lily Tomlin's reprise of her one-woman show?

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 06:46 AM
Audrey

Because you said that you enjoy off- and off-off Broadway, may I suggest that you look into what's being done at two small theatres that we like: The Mint and the Pearl (the Pearl has a website)...

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:02 AM
Steve

Vagina Monologues has a great buzz, along with Lifegames. Lily Tomlin previews start this Saturday.

Old Nov 6th, 2000, 09:06 AM
lisa

Forgot to mention in my "already saw and enjoyed" list -- The Vagina Monologues was great.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 06:01 AM
NEWYORKER

Think about The Music Man. I know it gets alot of bad press for being sappy and irrelevant, BUT, I found Rebecca Lukers performance to be worth the price of admission. She is a STAR in every sense of the word. And the curtain call thrilled even an old NY cynic like me.

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Caitlin

I'll put in a vote for "Contact," because it absolutely knocked my socks off. I'm a big dance person, not a big musicals person. My boyfriend is *not* a big dance person, and "Contact" knocked his socks off, too; we both think it's the best thing we've seen in ages. And I disagree with Ben that the first two segments are boring. I won't go into which part I thought was best because I think it's best to see the show without knowing too much detail in advance. BTW, the segment that was shown on the Tonys was very unrepresentative of the show, in terms of both what it's like and how you see it. As Howrd says, it's unlike anything else you've seen; I think "dance play" is a pretty good description. A bonus: it's hard to find a bad seat in that theater, evevn on the second level.

And I also second "Fully Committed" as a really fun way to spend an evening. Now is a good time to catch "Dinner With Friends,"--also great, with excellent acting--because someone's making a film of it. Looking forward to seeing "Proof."

Old Nov 7th, 2000, 12:07 PM
howard

Caitlin, you'll love "Proof." My wife and I found it an intelligent, extremely well-crafted play, with four outstanding performances.
And righton for your comments about "Contact"!

Old Nov 8th, 2000, 09:34 AM
karen

I saw Kiss Me, Kate last week. A fabulous revival, with some of Cole Porter's best songs and sophisticated lyrics. The Tony-award winning cast is still playing in it and they're all wonderful.