New York City Parking?

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 02:35 PM
Minea

New York City Parking?

2 of my girlfriends and I are taking a long road trip from Saskatchewan, Canada to New York City. We are going to be staying in a hostel in the very upper Upper West Side. We need to do some budgeting and was wondering if anyone knows about how much we're going to pay to park our car for five days in a parkade and how safe it will be there. The hostel doesn't have parking and we can't afford a hotel that does!
Thanks for any advice.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:16 PM
anne

Parking is expensive. I would recommend you pay for attendant parking if you're planning to leave the car for several days. There are municipal lots, but I've had my car broken into when I had to leave my car in one overnight. I wouldn't do it again. Parking will probably cost around $25/day. I don't recommend you pull the car out of storage & drive in Manhattan - use the subway system. It's much easier to get around. Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 03:31 PM
annK

Parking here is expensive, but on the upper west side you may find some places around $15 a day or you could choose to try parking on the street. If so read the signs VERY carefully there are lots of restrictions on street parking and you often have to move the car early in the morning.

Good luck.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 04:10 PM
Owen O'Neill

There are lots way out on 10th Avenue or 11th Avenue that may be as low as $10-12 per day including taxes. These are private lots with attendants but are not indoor. If you have a very costly vehicle you might be wary of this option but I've parked there on a number of occasions and it was fine. You could walk or get a bus over to the A train and it will then get yo tpo the upper west side. The lots I'm thinking of are between 30th and 44th - there may also be some further up.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 05:58 PM
rqf

If you are staying at the AYH hostel on
Amsterdam Avenue and 103rd Street, there is ample garage parking in the area. There are two garages on W. 95th and I believe there is one on W. 100th. When I take my daily walk tomorrow I will walk towards the hostel and will check out the garages in the area and the prices for 24 hour parking so check this site again tomorrow after noontime, NYC time. There is on street parking in the area. We have something called alternate side parking. It is possble to park a car on a Friday, for example, and not have to move it until the following Tuesday. The times and days for alternate side parking differ depending on the area. Should you decide to park your car on the street it is essential that nothing of value be left in view in the car. On street parking is not that easy to come by - lots of cars and lots of on street parking. Keep in mind, however, an out of state license plate could make the car a target for a possible break in.

Old Mar 9th, 2001, 07:44 AM
rqf

Story on the garages located near the AYH hostel at 103rd and Amsterdam. Two garages are located on W. 95 between Amsterdam and Broadway. One charges $22 for 24 hour parking; the other $25. There is also a garage on W. 101st between Amsterdam and Broadway and that costs $25. These prices include an 18% tax.

Alternate side regulations in the area are in effect Tuesday and Thursday on one side of the street and Monday and Friday on the other side. Parking is prohibited between the hours of 8 and 11 am on the days indicated. Alternate side regulations are not usually found on the avenues.