Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City: Labor Day weekend or marathon weekend?

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're coming from LA for 5-night vacation. We were there once in 2005 for 4 nights, over marathon weekend. Stayed on UES, right off Central Park. Loved it.

Can't decide if we want to go back for the same weekend (loved the cool crisp air, the changing leaves, golden autumn sunshine and the energy in the city with the marathon going on!), or... if we want to take a trip in hot weather.

We almost never travel in hot weather. It has its plusses-- you can really travel more lightly!

I know, the subway will be a thousand degrees and will SMELL.

Beyond that, any pros, cons you could advise? We'd like to book soon.

Thank you for your opinions! Bring 'em on!

lynne
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Mmm, hard to say. While you lucked out on your November trip in 2005, you could just as easily have cold rain (or even snow!) for the same time frame in November 2009. You may also have a gorgeous, sunny but temperate Labor Day Weekend so again, you never know.

Benefits to Labor Day Weekend would be a relatively quite city in terms of traffic, the ability to eat outdoors at cafes and stroll eating ice cream, summer gardens still in bloom and places like Central Park in full greenery including the ability to picnic on lawns (or eat outdoors at the lovely Boathouse), outdoor concerts in the park and elsewhere; the ability to take ferry rides and sit on outside decks, the ability to go to baseball games, and the ability to go see a match or two at the US Tennis Open. There is usually at least one festival/fair going on, like the West Indian Carnival in Brooklyn, on or around that weekend too.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:09 AM

The city is quieter on Labor Day, last hurrah and all that.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Not sure if budget matters, but it will also be much less expensive (hotels) in August than in November.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:02 AM

Agre that on Labor Day weekend the city will be much quieter and hotels will definitely be offering more bargains. But- the weather may be hellish.

Marathon weekend wil be incredibl mobbed, bu the weather is usually better (it's VERY rare to have snow that early, although you may have chilly rain, but the temps are likely to be better for outdoors trekking).
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM

I'd take Labor Day
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Rarely is the weather "hellish" over Labor Day weekend. In fact. it's usually quite nice.
That weekend offers a great opportunity to get tickets to a Broadway show.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 01:20 PM

It really depends on whether you're into the Marathon. It does create a buzz in the city that's very exciting but I agree, Labor Day is usually empty with most locals gone, great hotel deals, easy to get theater tix, hard reservations in restaurants are easy. If the only concern you have is the smelly subway, use the buses! Yes, it takes longer, but you're on vacation after all. But if you look at wunderground.com in their trip planner you'll see the temps for the last several years on that weekend have not been close to hellish. The US Tennis Open is on during Labor Day.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM

A third option: Go in early December. Xmas time in New York is outstanding, best time of the year to go. And I'm a native who moved out. Between the lights, the shop windows, the Rockefeller Center area and the feel of the city, it beats anyplace else.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM

Marathon Weekend 2005 the temps were in the low 70s (I remember because I ran!), the next year in the 30s, and it has yo-yo'd back and forth since.

I would not book on what you think the weather might be.

That said, I'd pick Labor Day Weekend. Marathon weekend is a nightmare. I love the city when it is less crowded.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! Based on your responses, I think we'd have picked Labor Day....

However, tonight we stumbled upon this: http://www.travelzoo.com/Newsflash.ashx?598429-9513191 and booked an out-of-left-field trip to Barcelona, for Sept. 1-9!!!

Thank you for your advice.