New York City Itinerary Help—June, Family with older kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We could use your input on our upcoming trip. We are a family of 5 and will be staying at Affinia Dumont 34th and Lexington, for a total of 5 nights in late June. First trip to New York City for all but me. Note: If you followed my previous strand, I was looking at the Eastgate Towers but decided to upgrade.

Kids are boy, 16; Girl, 14 and boy, 11. Driving into New York City from upstate college visit in Ithaca on a Thursday in June.

We have some flexibility as to when we could arrive in NYC. We could potentially arrive as early as 3 pm. Or, we could just wait and arrive about 8 pm and miss the worst of the rush hour. These boards caution people a lot about driving into the city. Unfortunately it seems to be our best option. For those of you who travel a lot, how does it compare with cities internationally…Rome? Shanghai? What time would you recommend?

Plan to drop off the luggage at the hotel and then drive to the car drop-off also in mid-town before 10 pm. Any advice on this maneuver also appreciated.

Possible Itinerary:

Friday—Metropolitan Museum and Central Park.
Not sure we will spend as many hours in Central Park as some do. We are from the West and see lots of green all the time….youngest wants to see Balto. Best to eat lunch in the Museum café, in the park, or is there somewhere nearby?
Empire State Building in the evening. (Note: one of my kids has his heart set on the Empire State Building, and I do realize it's more hassle than TOTR.)

Saturday—Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
A half hour for pictures on the Statue of Liberty island would probably suffice given there is no trip to the crown right now. Would like more time at Ellis Island.
See Times Square at night with all the lights (do we need a taxi for this?)

Sunday—Mass at St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
Breakfast or lunch at Rockefeller Center or somewhere near the Cathedral.
Split forces: Technology shopping for oldest son and me
(this is the one thing he really wants to do)
Husband takes younger two to Museum of Natural History

Monday—Walk by Wall Street and Stock Exchange.
Trying to decide between the following:
Walking around a neighborhood such as Greenwich Village/Washington Park
Brooklyn Bridge walk.
Grand Central Terminal/Chrysler Bldg
Had originally considered Tenement Museum…but we are going to Washington DC afterward and would be doing more museums. Feeling like we’d just rather see the city.

Tuesday—Train to Washington DC.
We could choose an afternoon seating on the train. Would we have time in the morning to see some things in midtown before checkout? I had thought about a tour of Rockefeller Center (NBC studios etc) as an option in the morning. Relatively near our hotel and different than other things we've done/will do. Or maybe a United Nations tour? Other ideas?

I have not put in all of my wish list into this itinerary because I know it's too long for the time we have. If you look at this and think "they have 2-3 more hours free" then tell me that.

Questions:
1. I’ve done the math, and right now it looks like the City Pass could save us money. But, it appears we get a “flex” ticket to Ellis Island rather than a reserved time. Does this make a difference?

2. Did I pick the right days to do things? For example, is it better to walk the neighborhoods on Saturday and go to Ellis Island on Monday? But, then we wouldn’t have time to see Wall Street on a weekday when it’s in action. Or is there that much to see?

3. The major item I omitted from our itinerary was a Broadway show. I can't decide if I should try to get tickets to a show. We'd like to see one, but wouldn't it take 2-3 hours to get over to this special ticket booth and wait in line to get the last minute tickets?

4. Hope to walk, use buses and subway primarily. Am guessing as a family of 5 we won’t fit in a single cab. Correct?

5. For technology shopping: What we've found online are the Sony Store and B&H, J&R and AC Gears. He would love to see the latest, even if he can’t afford it. With the Apple Store, my youngest would want to go to also, or maybe more so, and preferably at night when it’s lit up. Others that are a better idea?

Thanks for all your insights!
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM

3. You can get almost the same discounts as the TKTS booth by looking at Broadwaybox.com playbill.com and theatermania.com. You print off the discount offer and get the tickets (assuming availability) at the box office. No waiting on line for hours.

2. Not much to see on Wall Street, They no longer offer tours of the exchange, so the most you'll see is crowds of people in suits going to lunch or taking smoking breaks outside.

Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty ferry will be busy all summer. An educated guess is that weekends might be slightly busier since some people just vacation over the weekend.

5.The Apple store on 5th avenue is open 24 hours. Fit it in as late as you can.

B&H and J&R are both good stores with good prices, J&R can be crazy during the week because its location is good for both downtown tourists and workers in the neighborhood. There are several stores on one block and it can be overwhelming, in my opinion. B&H is closed Friday afternooon and Saturdays. It specializes in cameras and related equipment and that's where it excels
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 02:43 PM

Just a couple of comments (you will get lots of great detailed advice from others):

Eat in the Met cafe. It will be easier and allow you more time in the museum; many restaurants in the surrounding area are overpriced.

Your kids might like the entertainers in Central Park. There are often musicians, rap artists, skaters showing off, etc. although more on the weekends than a Fri.

The Apple store on Fifth Avenue has the cool glass cube; however, it is the busiest, highest grossing store in the world and it can be oppressively crowded. If your kids want to 'play' with Macs or ipads, consider the newest store in Grand Central. I've been there many times and it doesn't get as crowded. fyi - the 5th Ave store is open 24/7.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 02:49 PM

One other thing. I highly recommend a Broadway play. There is nothing like it. Save time and buy online in advance at www.playbill.com or another discount site.

I work in Times Square and there are visitors at all hours including early morning. You walk around Times Square. It is always crowded, but there are fewer cars allowed in these days and more areas for pedestrians. It runs from 42nd to approximately 49th Streets. It is more dramatic and more crowded at night.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 04:10 PM

While traffic in NYC can be heavy it is nothing like Rome (no traffic lights and chicken is king) or Shanghia (chaos). The problem in NYC is traffic and taking forever to get anywhere. If you can get there by 3 pm do that - dump the car and you have he rest of the afternoon and evening for yourselves. Easier to drive in daylight than dusk or dark.

A couple of notes - for transit feet are best and subway is fastest for longer distances.

For the Ellis Island ferry ONLY timed tickets will do - otherwise you could be on an interminable line.

The Rock Center tour gets generally poor reviews and I wouldn't waste the time.

For something else in the area near Grand Central go to the Main branch of the library (not a lending library but for research only). Always has great exhibits and the reading room is gorgeous. I believe this is the second largest in the world.

For tickets to a broadway show do not waste valuable time in NY standing on line. Go to Broadwaybox.com in advance and get the discount code for the show you want and buy through the official tickets seller for will call at the box office. This is esp important for 5 people - since you may well have trouble getting 5 seats together at TKTS.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 06:23 PM

I think you have good answers to most of your questions. I'd just like to reiterate how much time you save with a timed ticket to Ellis Island. Hours, particularly in the summer. But you need to make the reservations now. You're actually kind of late nd may not find a prime time even now. Go early. The museum takes a long time if you really look at the exhibits nd watch the film. I'd skip Liberty Island entirely.

Much of the UN is under renovation now, so check to see What you can actually see there to know if it's worth it. The audio tour of Grand Central is fun but perhaps only for the adults.

It's a little early for June discounts on Broadway Bo's, but keep looking and definitely buy tickets in advance. But you absolutely do not need to stand in line for hours at TKTS. If you want to see some show but don't care which one, there are always tickets. Arrive at 5 on a weeknight, and you will likely have tickets by 5:30 or 6, then grab dinner and go to the show.

I'd also strongly recommend arriving no ater than 3. The Dumont is near the Midtown Tunnel and gets a lot of traffic after work.
Old Mar 30th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Original Poster

I have been following your replies on my phone and am finally getting a chance to reply on the computer properly.

If we are done checking out the college we will definitely try to make it earlier in the day into the city. We'll have to see how that plays out though.

Doug, I have played with several dates on Statuecruises.com, which is the link from the National Parks site for Ellis Island. The dates I am looking at are all fairly open. Do I have the wrong site? Or maybe the crown being closed has deterred some tourists from going? In any event, I will decide soon and make my purchase. I am thinking of getting an earlier time (9am?) in case it's a warm day and it would give us the option to spend more time there if we want to.

Central Park Girl, Central Park definitely sounds more fun on the weekend. But wouldn't the Met be pretty busy if we swapped days and went there on Saturday? I wanted to pair them for ease of getting to the sites.

Also, I had wondered if the big Apple store would be crowded. We do have several apple stores in our hometown, so I think the novelty and the "wow" factor are probably the main draw.

will definitely cross off a Rockefeller tour from my list... Is there a favorite place to eat in the complex?
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 05:54 AM

Yes, the main Apple store will be crowded - it always is except in the middle of the night. When I go I do it either earl Sunday morning or late at nigh (it;'s open 24/7). If you actually want something done/bought (I used to upgrade by operating system) you need to make an appointment to do so,
Old Mar 31st, 2012, 07:29 AM

I don' t want to mislead you. Central Park is busy all the time. It's unlikely that there would not be street entertainers on a Friday in June. In CP and the Met, there are lots of visitors every single day. Common areas for entertainers are near the Mall, (north at 72 St and at the south end too), and Bethesda Fountain, but can be found throughout the park. These performers are not scheduled so they can be anywhere at any time but some of them are regulars.

As far as Apple, the glass cube is quite striking, but if you descend the glass staircase, it looks like an extremely crowded store. If your children want to use the new iPad or a Mac, they will have a better chance to do that in Grand Central. And btw, GC is a visitor's destination too. Since rescued and restored in the late 80's, it is beautiful including the ceiling. Consider a tour.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 08:34 AM

Just wanted to add that I am looking at a similar itinerary, going with 2 13 y/o's in late June. One activity I'm looking at is Scott's Pizza Tours, they got great reviews and I think would be a nice way to get info on a local area. Plus we get to eat NY pizza!
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:58 AM

I have kids and we go to the city often. A few kid friendly options are:
The Beast Speedboat
Intrepid
Wax museum
Virgil's BbQ
5 napkin burger
Holy cow ice cream?
Lenny's Deli (all locations)
Serendipity
Sports Museum (downtown)
Also, if you don't want to splurge on Broadway show, Stomp is at downtown theater. Kids loved it.

I know these are a little touristy but it breaks up all the adult stuff.
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:15 AM

Ellens Stardust Diner
www.ellensstardustdiner.com/
check it out-waitstaff on roller skates singing
Old May 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM

The Met Museum is open late on Fri. and Sat. nights and has live music in the evening hours. This potentially leaves daytime for other things that you were considering. Imo, if you don't get to NYC by 3pm on your entry day, I'd head to Brooklyn or Long Island City for views of the skyline and maybe an early dinner. The Brooklyn Promenade or Gantry Plaza in Long Island City both offer great views.

J & R and B & H are not the sort of places to browse imo. They offer good prices and people go to buy. The Apple store is more a place to browse imo.

Buy discount tickets in advance using bwaybox or Playbill (you have to register for free) or print out the discount and bring it with you. Take it to the theater when you arrive and buy tickets for another day. Most shows are dark on Mons. and many don't have discounts for Sat. night so that leaves Sun. matinee or a few shows do Sun. evening performances. Whether you use TKTS or not, you do need to figure out when you're going to go since the days you're here have some limitations.
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM

I'm not sure what greenery you see where you live, but Central Park is not just greenery. It's a coming together of the people of NYC and visitors. It's as much a people watching venue as it is a very varied green space.
Old May 15th, 2012, 12:10 PM

I have sons 16 and 14, and we have been to NYC several times. Your trip plan looks good overall. You have excellent comments and advice above so I won't repeat. I didn't see anyone mention that you should buy your Empire State Building tickets ahead of time, and splurge for the VIP or whatever the best ticket is called. You will bypass much of the line, and add time back into your trip.

My 16yo has toured Cornell, and loved it. Ithaca is a beautiful place. Are you going to tour Columbia or NYU during your time in NYC?
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks to those reviving my post.

McLaurie, I did ultimately go to playbill and bought tix for Nice Work if You Can Get it; I checked in for advice on that on one of the Broadway threads. Really looking forward to it. The idea of staying later at the Met Friday could work out great. I will mull that over!

Regarding the electronics shopping, I should explain that my son assembled his own computer in eighth grade and put Linux on it. He is a fan of PCs, open source and Android. It's been a couple of years I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to change/upgrade/add something to his computer again. I am doing this for him. If you know a better store than the ones I mentioned, please steer me to it! I have spent a few hours looking around and it's overwhelming. The Apple Store will be of interest only to say that he went and because my youngest really loves Apple and will want his picture there.

KBrenn, I will map out on Google all of your restaurant ideas. What is in your sports museum? Is it a good one? We are primarily basketball and soccer fans.

kenav, The people-watching element is also a huge part of our urban spaces; I do get what you're saying. The main problem is that our time is limited.

padams421, What does your son want to major in? What did he like about Cornell and where did you stay in Ithaca? We are figuring that there is likely at least one more trip back east for my son and me. That visit is probably a year away, although your thoughts on any of the schools mentioned are welcomed!
Old May 17th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Recently took two groups of kids on the NBC Tour at Rockefller Ctr which they all liked a lot. You visit the sets of SNL, NBC News with Brian Williams, Jimmy Fallon or Dr. Oz, others, weather, behind the scenes. Lasted 1 hour. Well done .
Old May 17th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

HappyTrvlr, how old were the kids in your group? What did you enjoy about it? Had most of you visited a TV studio before and how did the experience compare?

I ask because previous posters on this thread told me the Rockefeller tour generally gets poor reviews and to skip it.
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Actually, I went on the tour as a child back when it was all radio! The kids I took were 11,14,14,16., three girls, one boy. For two of them, it was their favorite thing in the city..One of them was chosen for the weather "program", i.e. They had be the weather broadcaster and do the show with the invisable green map. They also all loved the NBC Store in the lobby. SNL set was a big hit too.
Old May 17th, 2012, 04:07 PM

They are all rather sophisticated, well traveled kids and they all liked it. It was not touristy schlock.Also loved the Met and MoMA, Greenwich Village, Ellis Is, Broadway shows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -