Reload this Page >

New York city hotels

Search

New York city hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 08:48 PM
sharon

New York city hotels

I'm looking for a hotel for my family for one night only in the city. Any suggestions for a safe, clean hotel for under $180? Also anyone know if the Hyatt by Grand Central Station would be a bad location? Thank you, Sharon

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 04:20 PM
Frank

Sharon: Hyatt at Grand Central is an excellant location, safe and central. Great access to the U.N., Times Square, Empire State, Rock Center, Fifth Avenue and of course Grand Central Station. You might also want to check out the New York Helmsley Hotel on 42nd Street about 2 blocks east of the Hyatt, they frequently have good deals.

Enjoy.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:36 AM
xxx

I live here and would not stay midtown. You really don't find the flaver of the city unless you are amongst us. Also Midtown shuts down at night and on weekends. This means no late evening strolls. I would see about summer specials online everyone leaves in summer so you should be able to rack in the deals. I suppose time square would be fun for your kids and there is a best western that does and $80 a night weekend special. Also this area does not shut down near theatre/cinema area so a night stroll in the bright lights can always be had.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 07:25 AM
Frank

I disagree with xxx, I live in Manhattan and I'm not sure what he/she means by "You don't find the flaver...unless you are amongst us". You specifically asked about the Grand Hyatt and I stick with my original evaluation of the hotel. Also I wouldn't compare the Grand Hyatt with a Best Western, whole different category of Hotel. I surely wouldn't say that the Grand Hyatt was the best located in the city but surely a good safe choice. Staying in Times Square is good also but very crowded and not for everyone. To say the Grand Central area "shuts down" evenings and weekends is a gross overstatement. It all depends on the quality and type of hotel and neighborhood you are interested in. Hyatt is a known commodity and I assume one you are familiar and comfortable with. The New York Helmsley is of similar quality, you might also want to check the Parklane on Central Park South, another Helmsley hotel and frequently offers good deals. If you need additonal information, let me know.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:04 AM
phil

Sharon,
Frank is right on the mark. The Hyatt is at 42nd and Lexigton. It is about a 10 minute walk to Times Square and as safe as any other area in the city.

Also, if you are only here for one day, I think the Hyatt is actually in a better location as you are smack in the middle of the city. Also, several subway lines run right through Grande Central. That'll allow you much better access to the city without the need to change trains, as frequently.

If you were here for longer I'd suggest another location. But you are fine at the Hyatt.