Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City December Only One Day with Kids (preteen)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We live only a few hours from NYC so this will not be our only trip there in the next few years. We have one full day to see some sights. We have done American Girl, Dylan's Candy store and other shopping related things we have done. We are looking for a fun place for lunch. We are staying in midtown. We also were interested in trying to get theater tickets but can't find anything less than $90 a ticket. Is there a way to get cheaper tickets or is that just NYC? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 02:56 PM

Many discount ticket sources but less likely availability at this the busiest tourist season in NYC. Shows for kids are popular and may sell out in December

playbill.com broadwaybox.com theatermania.com Or stand in line at TKTS tickets when you're here, but don't expect the most popular shows.
Many shows have tickets toward the back that are less than $90 at full price
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM

For lunch you might try Ellen;s Stardust. It has basic diner fare but the waitstaff are "resting" B'way chorus boys and girls and the performances can be fun for kids.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 05:24 PM

Dec. is about xmas-dept store windows, ice skating, xmas markets...have you done this stuff already? Yes you can get theater tickets for less than $90 but not the best seats, not the top shows and maybe not on a Sat. What about off Broadway? Have you looked on the left column of broadwaybox.com?

"Fun" in relation to a restaurant usually yields recos for bad theme places. Why not go for good food? What do the preteens like to eat??
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:07 PM

as mentioned above broadbox.com and playbill.com have discounts. Peter and the Star Catcher is a wonderful imaginative play with music ..the back story to Peter Pan.. there are discount tickets, and the show is fun for adults and for kids.. the kids will probably miss some of the funny references, but wont be bored either if they are 10 and above..there are good seats upstairs for around $59 per ticket.
there were some discounts for Annie on playbill.com last week too.

Restaurants in the tourist areas will be very crowded during December and some raise the prices; reservations maybe necessary.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:14 PM

you may want to consider the Big Apple Circus at Lincoln Center. and you can find discounted tickets
the new victory theater on 42nd street has shows that are specially geared to children and families

since you do not live too far from NYC you may want to consider joining Theater Development Fund. they run the discount tickets booths, and also have online service in advance for members. See website to see if you or a family member is eligible to join.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
We got tickets to Stomp, I think they were about $ 50.00. It is Off Broadway but was a really good show. We got them through Broadway.com.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you thank you!!! Looking up all the suggestions right now. Keep them coming. Especially food options. My kids love Italian and good old American food. Are also into Japanese too. I am looking into the show options right now. Does anyone know how the pay what you want admission to the Natural History Museum works? It says suggested donation of $19? Are you able to just donate $20 for the family or does that not work? Thanks.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:37 PM

Not sure about Natural History Museum but we were at the Metropolitan Museum on Saturday, they had a suggested donation of $ 25 per person, but just asked what you wanted to pay when you got the tickets. I think your $ 20.00 will be fine.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM

My link for Stomp tickets should have been broadwaybox.com.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM

You can certainly give less than suggested donation at any museum. The problem with doing that at AMNH is that the basic admission price doesn't cover much. There are extra non-negotiable charges for Imax films, planetarium,special exhibits etc. You can't do pay as you wish for the base and then add on the extras either. A friend on a tight budget tried that and they wouldn't allow it

For a family it may pay to get a membership($125), especially if you plan to come back to NYC within a year .
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 10:56 PM

Our family of 5 went to New York this summer. I feel your pain on the ticket prices. We went with the broadway box codes. We also saw competitive prices for Travelzoo, but not on the shows we wanted to see. (Because I knew we wouldn't be coming back anytime soon, I was picky.)

Many museums have a free night a month. We did the Morgan Library for free with our family of 5, cool exhibits, lovely venue, great size, and a fun outing. MOMA also has a free night. The Sony Wonder Museum was also free; details are in my trip report, look for Day 4: http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...amily-of-5.cfm

One cheap thing to eat is Gray's Papaya hot dogs.

Btw, right now the musical Matilda is playing in London and is coming to New York this spring. Based on the children's book by Roald Dahl (and the hilarious movie with Danny DeVito), it should be great. (Not necessarily cheap but great.)
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 05:11 AM

It is literally pay what you wish.

If funding is a real issue you can pay $1 per person. However, I always suggest people think of what else they spend money on. When a trashy movie that will be forgotten the minute youcleave is $12 or $13 - then the $19 cost for a world class museum is actually a bargain.

We are members so it's not an issue for us. And if you live close enough to visit the city regularly you might want to consider a family membership - so you can visit whenever you want for free.

(This was one of our favorites as kids, and once I was old enough - 14 or so - I would sometimes take my little brother into the city for a visit to natural history on weekends or summer vacation - if my parents were busy.)
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 05:20 AM

It is literally pay what you wish.

If funding is a real issue you can pay $1 per person. However, I always suggest people think of what else they spend money on. When a trashy movie that will be forgotten the minute youcleave is $12 or $13 - then the $19 cost for a world class museum is actually a bargain.

We are members so it's not an issue for us. And if you live close enough to visit the city regularly you might want to consider a family membership - so you can visit whenever you want for free.

(This was one of our favorites as kids, and once I was old enough - 14 or so - I would sometimes take my little brother into the city for a visit to natural history on weekends or summer vacation - if my parents were busy.)
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so so much. Appreciate all the comments and suggestions. We may try the Met or the Natural History Museum. They love museums so this may be perfect since show tickets may not be in the cards. We also are planning to head to Bryant Park. Considering the UN Tour or the 9/11 Memorial. Anyone think those would be good to do with kids?
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 08:04 PM

Bryant Park has Christmas stalls selling all sorts of goods. It also has free ice skating if you bring your own skates, and its open in the evening.

Natural History has a pay what you wish admission but it does not include the planetarium the imax theater and lots of other special exhibits.

Metropolitan Museum of Art has a pay what you wish policy. Children under 12 are free. also lots of suburban libraries get free family passes .. ask if your library has this. For adults, you can decide what to pay. Not every family can afford the suggested price, but every family should be able to see great art at an affordable price. there are some special free programs for children and there are free brochures at the information desks with activities for children. hint if you use the entrance behind the fountain near 81st street marked school groups and handicapped (its open to all) the free coat check lines are shorter, rest rooms and admission desks are nearby and the elevator takes you upstairs . more info is on the museum's website about things to do with children. you can either eat in the cafeteria or go out to madison ave . if you want a nyc greek coffee shop experience. there is the new amity diner on madison and 84th... there is a near by play ground too..

the metropolitan opera has a two hour english version of the barber of seville.. tickets are specially priced...its being performed on cerain dates in dec through the first week in january.. its designed with families in mind... for lower prices look for seating in the balcony or family circle.. its high up but you can see and hear,, just bring binoculars for the close ups..

the un tour.. i am sure i did that in grammer school so i would say yes its fine for kids..and its indoors which can be important in december

if its not too cold.. the central park zoo..and skating at the wollman rink though that can be crowded

the morgan library has an exhibit on now on beatrix potter.. for lovers of peter rabbit and other tales
Old Nov 29th, 2012, 11:39 PM

We went to the Morgan last week, and loved the Beatrix Potter exhibition. Just make sure you tell your children they want actually see Peter Rabbit . When we were there, a little two year old was throwing a tantrum because she wanted to see Peter Rabbit!!!! She was still screaming as her father took her out and down the elevator.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 04:41 AM

my pre teen kids really enjoyed the Empire State Building, and the Statue of Liberty (you have to buy timed tickets online for the Statue, but it's well worth it) I think a trip to the ground Zero Memorial site (if it survived the hurricane) would be very cool. Then there's the giant piano in FAO Schwarz, and the m&m's ferris wheel in Toys R Us in Times Square.
also, Patsy's on W56th has the best Italian food, I think, you can reserve ahead of time online. There's a place called Mars 2012 that's supposed to be like being on Mars, look it up I think you ride a cart into the "planet." Restaurants.com has discounts fo rsome of these places.
there is TKTS booth app for the smartphone. If you want matinee tix you go to Southport booth, for evening tix go to Times Square booth. Also, travelzoo often has broadway tix on their website for the best prices, check that out. I looked up delis around any places we visted, so I could feed them quickly and easily.
The Museuem of Natural History has a synthetic ice skating rink, that was different and fun, also there's real ice skating in Rockefeller Center, the xmas tree and then the Top of the Rock!
So much to do! You pick and choose what think you they'll like best, have fun!
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 09:27 AM

I believe the Mars place has closed - and if it hasn;t it should have. Well known for awful food and lack of cleanliness. Don;t know Patsy's - but am sure it isn't the best Italian food anywhere.

For Italian in the theater district Carmine's is a standard for basic red sauce Italian. Loud and crowded and sort of festive, they have huge portions - so be sure to order dishes to share.
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 09:55 AM

here's the link to Patsy's, it's been an institution for many years, believe me I have eaten food all over the world, including different parts of Italy (Southern Italian cusine is different from Northern Italian cuisine) and I'm pretty picky about food. I have been to Carmine's also. It's good.
http://www.patsys.com/

I did hear that the food at Mars was not very good, but it would be more of an experience than fine dining especially if you have kids who will only order fried chicken wherever you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -