new york city accommodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to NYC (Manhattan) with my husband and 2 teenage children this Thanksgiving and am looking for a 1-2 bedroom apt or 2 room suite accommodations in the $250-$300 range. We are trying to avoid booking just 2 hotel rooms. WOuld prefer the Midtown area, not too far from theater but this is not essential as long as it is safe to walk at night. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:50 PM

lajolla,

The Best Western Hospitality House on West 49th could suit you. We stayed there in March & were very pleased with it plus it has excellent reviews on trip advisor. My only doubt is whether it would fit into your price bracket.

Here's a link to my trip report which includs all the details;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34778469

Hope this helps,

Jim
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 01:12 AM

You might try the Broadway Inn (www.broadwayinn.com). It is a cute B&B in the Theatre District on 8th Ave very close to lots of restaurants also, and they also have suites in your price range.

Also the Grand Union (www.hotelgrandunion.com) on E 32nd St would also fit nad from there you are close to shopping (Macy's etc) and bus and subway are within a block.

Have a great time.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:11 AM
emd

I think wanting a 2 bedrm apt. or 2 rm suite is a limiting factor at your desired rate for Thanksgiving. Best West. Hosp. House is showing rate of $449 on their website. We also have two teens and go to theater. We settled on Affinia Manhattan. Two beds and sofa bed in the large one bedrm suites w/dining area, separate bedrm, fully appointed kitchen (500-600 sq ft). Good reviews on tripadvisor and here. We got a $270 rate btwn this coming Christmas and New Yrs. But the Thanksgiving rate is (gulp) $499!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:17 AM
GoTravel

For a two room suite or apartment, you are looking at $500 minimum per night.

Have you tried www.VRBO.com or www.Craigslist.com ?

You will not find what you need in your price range booking conventionally.

Have you even checked prices yet?

Thanksgiving is one of the most in demand times of year to be in Manhattan.

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:23 AM

Try:

www.athomeny.com

It's a bed and breakfast reservation service. Gives you pics of places available in many NYC neighborhoods.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:02 AM
Suerich68

Thanksgiving weekend kicks off the Christmas shopping season (Black Friday is the day following Thanksgiving). Rates will be very high in NY right through mid-December.

Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:59 AM

That's a tight budget for a suite. You can look nito the Affinia hotels (Affinia.com), Embassy suites (although this is down town) and doubletree suites. All of these are suites with some form of kitchen or kitchenette. You maight also consider bidding on 2 rooms in Priceline.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:45 AM

First of all, you have left it very late for Thanksgiving. In May I was helping someone look for a place and many hotels they wanted were already sold out.

Second, that budget simply will not get you a suite in New York at that time of year.

You might consider the applecore group of budget hotels which get decent reviews and have quite a few rooms with 2 double beds. (Many NYC hotel rooms are small - so you get either 1 double/queen bed or 2 twin beds).

The Affinia group of hotels is a good idea. A moderately priced chain they have many larger rooms as well as suites. However, their price point for Thanksgiving is completely different. Just did a quick check and they show some avaialbility for a 1 bedroom suite starting at $450 per night and going up to $560.

I think you will have to adjust either your budget or your expectations. And I would reserve quickly to be sure of having someplace decent.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. Both Craig's list and VRBO are great ideas. And yes, we are finding that Thanksgiving is an expensive time to get a hotel!
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 10:10 PM

The Travel Inn on 42nd street?

It gets good recommendations here on Fodors.

I have stayed there and found it a basic clean small hotel.

If you are driving into NY they offer free parking
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 04:53 AM

The Travel Inn is showing no availability.

Their partner hotels have:

Newton (very basic upper west side, smallish room with 2 queen beds) is $315 per night

Belvedere (less basic, upper west side, smallish room with 2 double beds) at $385 per night

Note that these rates are for one room - not suites - for which you would have to call to find availability.

Also - you need to check with each hotel on how they charge "children". I know in some places it is 17, but at many in NYC the cut off is 13 or even lower - or they may hust charge for the # of people regardless of age (except infants).
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:44 AM
jd

radiocityapartments.com
My son recently stayed in a 1 br. for $199, and the 2 br's are $249 I think. He liked it there a lot, and said the rooms were in good condition. The mid-town location is GREAT. For parking, it is $25.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 05:53 AM
GoTravel

That would be great if Radio City Apartments had any availability.

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Exactly - Radio City Apartments were already full when I was checking in May.
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

Radio city apts looked great but unfortunately not available for our dates. Has anyone stayed in the Embassy Suites in Battery Park? I know that is reliable! Also craig's list is a great idea. Thanks for all the help!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 02:40 AM

The Embassy Suites is a great family hotel BUT it's all the way downtown near Wall St., not near most of the holiday activity. Just a heads up. Most everything (the parade, Rockefeller Center, Times Square and theaters) is midtown and you'll be spending lots of time either on the subway or in cabs. It's still a good option but you'd probably be better further uptown.

Please tread carefully with craigslist. People have a tendency to advertise places that are actually outside Manhattan in the Manhattan section.

If a 1 bedroom is ok (with teens sharing a sofabed) one of the other posters here stayed in this apt. and loved it. It's right near the theaters.
http://www.bigapplegetaway.com/

I think you'd be better in a 2 bedroom myself. An agency that people have used for a good 2 bedroom in the theater district (but it's a walk up with no elevator) is nyhabitat.com but I see prices have skyrocketed there too.

The Salisbury hotel has very spacious 1 & 2 bedroom apts. but may already be booked.
nycsalisbury.com
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mclaurie. I am trying your suggestions. Unfortunately the 2 specific ones you named are not available but I am trying the nyhabitat. Looks interesting. The thing about Embassy Suites is that you know exactly what you are getting. Have you stayed in any other apts?
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 04:32 AM

It's absolutely true, with the Embassy Suites you know what you're getting and it's good. What sort of price are you looking at there? If you don't mind having to travel uptown for many things, it may be your best bet. And I believe they include breakfast there.

It's unlikely you'll find an apartment at Thanksgiving in midtown for a bargain price. One thing that's worth checking is any rental availability at the Manhattan Club. This is a timeshare property in a very central location in midtown. They have some 1 bedroom apartments with 2 full baths. Owners often rent out nights. Here's a page with 2 listed for $275/night. YOu might check avail. dates.
http://www.tug1.org/tugads/1-3dname1.html#ad47101
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

To MCLAURIE and others that have responded. Have any of you used the website www.apartments2book.com ??? It is out of London and found it on Google. Unfortunately, Manhattan club 1 bdrms not available so far for Thanksgiving in NYC. Thanks, all.

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -