new york city

Old Aug 18th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new york city

We are traveling to New York City for a cruise departure from Brooklyn Port and flying into JFK. We've never been before and know nothing about subways, taxi's, etc. We want a clean but inexpensive ($150 or less) hotel for 2 nights and don't mind what area we stay in as long as it's safe and clean with private bathroom. We also want advice on the easiest and least expensive way to travel about.
Thanks,
Kathy
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 06:52 AM

For two people? What month are you traveling? (Prices can vary dramatically by month.)

Public transportation (the subway and bus system) is the cheapest in general, although if your group is three of four people, a taxi can be cheaper for short trips.

How to use the subway and bus system. Fares described are no longer accurate:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...nyc-subway.cfm

Current fares:
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/mcgtreng.htm
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM

Your price range isn't terribly realistic for NYC. Your best bet would be a modest chain hotel in Queens. The Country Inn and Suites in Long Isand City in that range, and it's just one subway stop from midtown and very close to the subway. There are a handful of places in Manhatten, but they have tiny rooms and can be grim. Check Htels.com fir your dates. You can also bid on Priceline. Either way you will need to take a taxi or car service from yor hotel to the Brooklyn Cruise Port. That will cost about $25 to $30, and there are really no cheaper alternatives.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM

http://bit.ly/PEoGL0
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Hotels near the cruise port are fine for the cruire but awful for seeing the city. The OP says they are staying 2 nights - so seem to want to see some of the city.

Agree that what matters is 1) how many "we" is and 2) when you are coming,.

$150 per night is very low for NYC unless you are coming in Jan or Feb. If there are two of you and can share one double bed you can bid on Priceline - but all it promises is one double bed - and in NYC many hotel rooms have just that.

The best ways to get around the city are feet - shorter distances - or subway - longer distances.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 11:53 AM

Unless you,re bidding on Priceline, $150/night will not buy a room in Manhattan for 2 people with private bathroom. Long Island City is a popular location for budget priced hotels for a NYC visit. Hotels near the subway there include the Verve, Country Inn & Suites, Vetiver, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Manhattan View and Four Points Sheraton. You can get to any of these by AirTrain/subway from JFK. You'll need a taxi or car service to get to the cruise pier from almost any hotel near a subway since there's no subway station near the pier.

There are hotels in Brooklyn that would also work for sightseeeing. The Super 8 and Holiday In. express, both i. park Slope are possibilites. Use subway to get around while sightseeing.
Old Aug 18th, 2012, 09:58 PM

If you would condsider a B&B, there is a lovely one I can recommend, I was there just yesterday. It is close to the subway, on a lovely tree-lined quiet street. The rate is good and will be in your price range.

#1 and the A are within a 5 minute walk and that gets you anywhere in Manhattan.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:06 AM

@travelbuff. I'm starting ot think you are a tout for the B and B. You need ot be CLEAR with people it's in Harlem which is not a great location for folks who only have 2 days for sightseeing. It is close to the A train but not near anything for sightseeing.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Also - I haven;t seen anything to indicate that it is a legal B&B. And the rates quoted here are much lower than those shown on the web site.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 03:55 PM

The poster said a room for less than $150nt and those are few and far between in Manhattan, period. No dates of travel where shown, but if they checked the website, for their dates they might get lucky. You know any places at that rate then post it.

Yes I live uptown, and again I was there last week so yes can recommend it.

Harlem of today is NOT the Harlem of even 5 years ago. Most of the brownstones in this area have been rennovated, and the streets are as safe as most of downtown.

Long Island City is where people stay when looking for an inexpensive room, and I would not stay there, knowing the area especially at night.

Lightenup guys.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 06:23 PM

Legal or not, this B&B s about as far from the Brooklyn cruise port as you can be and still be in NYC. It's not an ideal location. That's the only reason I'd hesitate to recommend it to these fols.

Long Island City s nt an attractive area, but it's perfectly safe, even at night. Likely safer than Harlem and considerably more convenient.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM

I had the same issue with Travelbuff a while ago. Whatever the situation, she would recommend one hotel that was known as a spot where rockers would stay when in town. Once a self-identified church group wanted a quiet and inexpensive place and Travelbuff touted that hotel. It was extremely telling.

Here recommending a B & B in Harlem for people who do not know the city who are leaving for a cruise from Red Hook screams of an ulterior motive other than enthusiasm for this new find.
Old Aug 19th, 2012, 09:25 PM

You know what I give up. Instead of trying to help people all you people do is take swipes.

I'm officially gone, and this time I just can't be bothered with this site anymore.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. We (my husband and I) will be staying September 27th and 28th. I've been told the LaQuinta in Long Island City might be worth considering. I hate to spend $50 on a taxi from the airport but nor do I want to spend 1 1/2 hours on public transportation with all the transfers that would be involved. Any more advice is very much appreciated.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM

I assume your ship is leaving from the docks in Red Hook in Brooklyn. It is inconvenient to reach by public transporation since there is only one bus that even comes close to the piers. And then you would have to schlep your luggage a few blocks.

Wherever you stay you will need a cab for the final leg. And I would print out the directions and a map, since not every cabbie knows how to get there.

According to Google the nearest subway to ypur hotel is the "7" train which will take you into Manhattan first. And while Queensborough Plaza would be of assistance, it is incovenient from your hotel.

I would have the hotel arrange for car service.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:48 AM

So you're coming at the beginning of high season ... which will limit your ability to find a hotel for under $150. I'd say it's pretty much impossible, but if you are to find a deal, you need to find it this week. After September 1, it's highly unlikely you'll find anything, and even the cheapest hotels will start to fill up,.

There are no other transit options from JFK if you are staying in Queens. It's either a taxi or a long time on public transit. I should say that it is possible to make up some of the difference by taking the Long Island Railroad to Woodside and then hopping on the subway there, but there are a lot of stairs to deal with and you'll have to carry all your luggage up and down them.

If you are staying in Manhattan, you have many other options since the train to Penn Station takes only about 35 minutes from most terminals, though there can be a little extra time involved if you arrive and have to wait for a Long Island Railroad train connection at Jamaica Station.

Many of the best hotel deals in Manhattan are at hotels around Penn Station, but none will be in your price range unless you bid on Priceline or find a deal on Hotels.com or Expedia.

You can always take the subway or an airport bus into Manhattan to limit costs, and it's possible to get to Queens Plaza on the E train. This obviously makes travel to Long Island City at least an hour, however. You just can't do better than that.

Airport buses go to Manhattan and take you to Grand Central, Penn Station, or Bryant Park, all of which are in Midtown and very convenient to various hotels there that will be out of your price range.

The La Quinta is fairly close to Manhattan, but you are on the 7 train line, which gives you exactly one option into Manhattan (and there's absolutely no subway connection directly from the airport unless you go into Manhattan). The Country Inn and Suites is near 7 major subway lines, which give you many different transit options. That's the main advantage of the Queens Plaza location.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM

This is the most confusing and none-sensical question I've ever read.

"We are traveling to New York City for a cruise departure from Brooklyn Port and flying into JFK."

say what? What port? Depart from Brooklyn to JFK? Or departing home from Brooklyn?

"We've never been before and know nothing about subways, taxi's, etc. "

They take you from point A to point B. One costs $2.25, the other $25.

"We want a clean but inexpensive ($150 or less) hotel for 2 nights"

just 2 nights in NYC? huh?

"it's safe and clean with private bathroom."

hotels in NYC only have public bathrooms; anyone at any time can come in even if someone is using it already. If you want private bathrooms, stay in a private house.

"We also want advice on the easiest and least expensive way to travel about."

travel to where from where? just walk; it costs $0.00
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 04:11 PM

The OPs questions make perfect sense. It's just that in NYC they can;t do what they want for what they want to pay.

Getting from JFK to the city - or LIC - requires either taxi ($) or changes of public transit and hauling your luggage around for a lengthy period of time.

$150 is not a reasonable rate for Manhattan except for Jan and Feb. You may get something in LIC - are unlikely to find anything much in Manhattan (unless you're lucky with Priceline).

To then get to the cruise port you either have to take a taxi/car service - or take multiple public transit and then hope to find a cab in Brooklyn - where they don;t typically cruise - again dealing with your luggage on multiple flights of stairs.

Sorry - but cheap and fast and easy in NYC doesn't compute - you need to pick two (at most).
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 06:02 PM

You cannot stay somewhere decent for $150 with private bath to sightsee in Manhattan and avoid a taxi to the Brooklyn pier. Nyccabfare.com will estimate the price from anywhere you pick. Quality Inn in LIc is ok. The Super 8 Park Slope Brooklyn is further from jFK but closer to the pier.
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 04:39 AM

The Super 8 Park Slope Brooklyn is $157 (plus tax) for those dates. (says only one room left).

From JFK you can take the "A" subway line. With only one change of trains (at Hoyt Schermerhorn station, to the "G" line) you can get to about four blocks from the hotel (Carroll Street stop). There is another subway station even closer (the Union Street station on the "R" line) but that would require an additional change of trains. It is usually not worth it for a couple of blocks. Here's a link to the subway map http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

I have not stayed at that hotel (I stay with my daughter who lives in Brooklyn) but I have taken the subway to and from JFK and it is not that bad. A taxi will not be any faster due to traffic and will cost a lot more. Although if you are going on a cruise and have a ton of luggage then it might be worth it. That hotel looks to be in a decent location for taking the subway into Manhattan for sightseeing and it's about as close to Red Hook as you can get. I don't see any option but a taxi for getting to the cruise ship.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -