Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New York City 8 hour layover. Need help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On our way to Paris in December we will land at Laguardia @ 9 AM and transfer to JFK. We have 8 hours and would love a great deli sandwich. Pastrami or Corned Beef. Is there a decent Deli at JFK? If we were to go into NY by cab, how far away is it to a good Deli and how much is a cab ride in NY? What time do the Deli's open? Too much Seinfeld, is there a good combo, Deli and Soup Nazi???????
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 08:52 AM

Delis will be open by 11 am or so for lunch. To get from the city to one of the real downtown delis would probably cost about $40 - and to get from there to JFK by cab is a flat $45 plus tip and toll fo rabout $60.

So - don;t know if getting a good pastrami sandwich is worth $100 plus - on top of the food.

And there is no good food in any of the airports - certainly noting like real deli - just chain fast food.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 08:56 AM

Do you have 8 full hours before you have to be back at the airport (or is it 8 hours until your next flight departs)? If you have 8 full hours, you should definitely go into the city, it's certainly better than sitting in the airport for 8 hours.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

We arrive at 9 AM at Laguardia and take off from JFK at 5PM. Is there public transportation from Laguardia (looks closer to Deli's) or JFK into I'm guessing, Manhatten for a good Deli?
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Katz Deli on the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

http://www.katzdeli.com/

Are you sure you want to schlepp all your bags around with you?

Cab from Manhattan to JFK is $45 + toll

Cab from LaGuardia to Manhattan is the metered fare. I'd budget around $30-40.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:12 AM

If your arriving flight is ontime, and you have to be at JFK 2 hours before your outgoing flight, you will probably have a couple of hours in Manhattan.

If you have never been here before, go to Carnegie Deli or Stage Deli both on 7th Ave in the 50's for your deli "fix", that way if you want to take the subway to JFK which will take a little more than an hour from midtown, you can walk the 2 blocks to 50th and 8th and catch the C train, change to the A train at 42nd St and make sure the train says JFK.

Remember you will be shelping your luggage with you, which won't be alot of fun.

Yes there is public transit into Manhattan the bus at LaGuardia (#60 bus), but that will take alot of time to get into Manhattan, take a cab instead, and have the cab drop you off at the deli.

Have lunch, and walk to the subway to JFK. At that time of day a cab will take about the same amount of time to get to the airport. You will however be lugging your luggage up and down stairs so just be aware.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:12 AM

There is public transportation, but you should only do it if you have light luggage and are fairly fit. The public transportation requires you get on a city bus at the airport and then to save time, transfer to a subway in Manhattan.

There's also an airport van that you can catch and then in Mnahattan take a subway or cab.

http://www.nyairportservice.com/
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

We have the "Backpack" type luggage and we have taken them on 3 week trips to Europe. They are quite comfortable compared to "Schlepping" around regular luggage.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 10:09 AM

"If you have never been here before, go to Carnegie Deli or Stage Deli both on 7th Ave in the 50's for your deli "fix", that way if you want to take the subway to JFK which will take a little more than an hour from midtown, you can walk the 2 blocks to 50th and 8th and catch the C train, change to the A train at 42nd St and make sure the train says JFK."

If you are going to these delis in midtown, then DO NOT take the A train to JFK. The trip will be longer, especially with the change from the C to the A. Instead, take the E train, which is quicker than the A from this area and goes directly to Jamaica Station, where you will connect to the AirTrain to the airport. You can catch the E train at 7th Ave and 53rd Street, or 5th Ave and 53rd. From 7th and 53rd, the actual train ride should take about an hour.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 10:31 AM

KAtz's has the best padtgrami but 2nd Ave Deli is the best overall.

Katz's opens at 9:45 Monday and Tuesday and 8 AM the rest of the week.

2nd Ave Deli opens at 6 AM
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM

"padtgrami" = Thai pastrami?
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. I'm not sure what "Padtgrami" is????????
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 01:24 PM

I'm sure Aduchamp1 meant "pastrami," folks. And he's spot on re NYC delis, too -- for me, the pastrami juicy on rye at Katz's is the most memorably good sandwich I've ever had. But 2nd Avenue Deli is terrific from an overall standpoint.

And both are notably better than the Carnegie or Stage Deli.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM

Of course Warren meant "pastrami," folks. It's a play on words, that all. Kind of like "bachslunch." I'll take a pass(acaglia) on that one, though.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 03:18 PM

Make it, "that's all," folks.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 05:17 PM

If you just each have one backpack you can try public transit - but be aware that it can be crowded (as in no seats) there is no place to store luggage (straddle with your legs or hold on your lap) and you may have to negotiate several flights of steep narrow stairs.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM

ellenem gives really good advice re: public transportation to JFK. And given your short timeframe, you will want to take a taxi from LaGuardia not public transportation. (As mentioned, you'd have to catch a city bus then transfer to the subway.)

I'm not a fan of Carnegie or Stage delis myself, and agree that Katz's and 2nd Ave are superior. However, the former are much more proximal for getting to JFK! As a compromise, your best bet might be 2nd Ave Deli, now located in the East 30's. From there, you could take a taxi or crosstown bus to Penn Station, catch the commuter train on the LIRR to Jamaica and transfer to the AirTrain. (Note the E subway line also comes into Penn, but the commuter train will be faster and more comfortable, and even a wee bit more room for luggage.)
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM

The other benefit of Carnegie and Stage are that they are in quintessential midtown Manhattan and will provide the atmosphere visitors to NYC may expect . . . skyscrapers, a real buzz of lots of people and traffic, lots of shops and restaurants, a short walk from Times Square or Central Park.

2nd Ave Deli is close to the midtown tunnel for easy access to both airports by taxi, but it is a more residential neighborhood with less of a buzz, though still busy.

Katz's is downtown in a lower-rise grittier residential neighborhood that is in transition. It definitely has a NYC atmosphere--just a very different one from midtown.

It all depends on the atmosphere the OP wants to go with the sandwiches.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM

I LOVE Katz', but I have nothing against a pastrami sandwich at the Carnegie Deli
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 09:30 AM

I am writing from Turkey and the light is not too good.

Actually we were in Cappadocia where pastrami is a regional dish. We had it twice. Once in a casserole and once in a egg roll skin type thing and deep fried with chesses and dill.

Sacriledge.

Pastrami is what I was weaned on. For atmosphere, it goes to Katz's with legal bribery of the meat cutters, the silly tickets, and the controlled chaos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -