Search

New York City

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2023, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New York City

My daughter will be in NYC for the first time in January. She will be alone for 1 night and a companion for 1 night. Any moderately priced hotel suggestions? She is a Marriott Rewards member. She has been warned not to stay in Times Square- not sure why. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old Dec 25th, 2023, 08:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What is her 'moderate' hotel rate. What is her actual budget.

Re Times Square -- nothing wrong or unsafe with staying there -- many (especially NYC residents) warn against it -- just like SF natives say never stay at Fisherman's Wharf. It is a busy/touristy area -- but it is also very central so depends partly on what they will be doing in what part(s) of the city and what sort of vide they want.

Old Dec 25th, 2023, 02:48 PM
J62

I like to stay in the Chelsea area. Close enough to walk to the usual midtown sights and plenty of places to eat in the area.

lots of chain hotels. Google maps is your friend.

rates for a weekday mid January are about $150 per night.

Last edited by J62; Dec 25th, 2023 at 02:50 PM.
Old Dec 25th, 2023, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Her budget is about $300/nt for hotel but she would like to pay less if she can. I have looked at hotels and looks like under $300 is doable. Thanks for info on the Chelsea area.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 05:49 AM

She could stay at the famous Algonquin Hotel in Times Square where famous writers, actors and poets stayed. These included Laurence Olivier, Dorothy Parker, Harpo Marx, Maya Angelou, William Faulkner, Douglas Fairbanks, Noel Coward, Mary Pckford, Graham Greene, and Anthony Hopkins. https://www.algonquinhotel.com/

Last edited by PrairieHikerI; Dec 26th, 2023 at 05:58 AM.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 03:09 PM

The new-ish Hotel Theta might meet her needs, depending on the date, of course. My friends and I stayed in early November and we rebooked at a lower-than-our-original rate closer to the date of our stay.
It’s a Kimpton Hotel at 48th Street and 8th Avenue, occupying the space of a former Hilton Garden Inn, I believe. Gracious hospitality and fresh, clean, new decor. The re-do is progressing floor by floor so it seems there is no work being done on floors that are occupied. Nightly wine reception, free morning coffee in the lobby but there is no restaurant yet. We walked to the next block for breakfast. Grocery store and many restaurants nearby. Convenient to transportation.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 05:36 PM

As janis noted, most advice against Times Square stems from its throngs of tourists, and lately it has also seen an uptick in homeless/panhandlers.
Chelsea is indeed a great location with lots of mid price chains in the area.
DO keep in mind that many if not most NYC hotels are now tacking on the dreaded and despised "daily amenities fee" which can range up to $50 or more.
Old Dec 26th, 2023, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all suggestions. She has found a hotel close to Chelsea- a Marriott. She has enough points for 1 night and will split costs the 2nd night with a friend. Chelsea sounds like a great location. I have only been to NYC a couple of times many years ago so was no help in suggesting areas.

Old Dec 27th, 2023, 02:13 PM

If she doesn't plan to go to the theatre, then the warning about Tmes Square makes sense. Really, sometimes the people on the sidewalks are so thick that you can barely walk. She may wanty to talk through it to see it but I agree she shouldn't stay right there. I mean she can but I don't think it'
s that pleasant. I have stayed right near it in the past as I was mainly doing theatre (the Muse or a hotel on w 46th that keeps changing hands, but I did get real tired of it and moved to the above-mentioned Hilton Garden Inn at 8th and about 50th which was a great location. I was really disappointeed it closed.

I would not say there is nothing unsafe about TS as some above did, either. Especially if naive and not street smart and not traveled.
Old Dec 30th, 2023, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by sunbum1944
My daughter will be in NYC for the first time in January. She will be alone for 1 night and a companion for 1 night. Any moderately priced hotel suggestions? She is a Marriott Rewards member. She has been warned not to stay in Times Square- not sure why. Any suggestions appreciated.
​​​​​​Allen Hotel and Hilton Garden!
Tho in would suggest to take a room that is close to her work, coz she will have to travel alot in NYC which is difficult to manage in winters and cabs are too expensive there.