New York: Breakfast in Soho

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good place for breakfast on a Sunday in Soho?

I don't want anything fancy or trendy, just somewhere clean that does good bacon and eggs and has a NY atmosphere.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:03 AM

Balthazar

Thin
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
mp

More low key than Balthazar (which is terrific, but quite the scene and usually very crowded) you might like Zoe; Noho Star (not in Soho, but only a block north) , Eight Mile Creek, Cupping Room Cafe, Country Cafe, La Esquina . .

www.menupages.com for addresses and menus
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 06:01 AM

Zoe's
Five Points

If you just want bacon and eggs, a diner will do. Sunday Brunch in Manhattan has become a ritual and simple bacon and eggs are usually not on the menu at anything that is one step up from a dinner. A lot of eggs benedict, omelets, challah french toast, and burgers complete with a mimosa or a bloody mary.

If you want something different in the East Village try Prune, very hard to get into, Cafecito, Esperanto, Casimir, or Flea Market,

On the Lower East Side try Falai. Many like Schiller's although I am not one of them.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:09 AM

I think we have no idea what you mean by NY atmosphere. Balthazar would be considered quintessential NY by many but it's trendy. If by breakfast you mean eating early (8-11 am) many of the places listed above won't work. They're more "brunch" places and don't start serving on a Sunday until 11 or 12. Balthazar, which does early breakfast during the week, only serves coffee and pastry early and full menu starts at 10.
http://www.balthazarny.com/hours.php

It sounds like you may want a basic coffee shop or diner and there aren't any/many in Soho. Sullivan Diner just north of Houston st. might be what you want. http://www.sullivandiner.com/
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

I'm a Londoner so I guess I'm looking for somewhere that typifies NY and has a local atmosphere. I'll be up early due to jet lag so brunch will be too late, that's why I said breakfast.
It sounds like if I want something typically NY then I'm going to have to wait for brunch!
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM

If you want something - typically New York - then you want a diner for breakfast. The waitress calls you "hon", she keeps refilling your coffee, a lot of the other customers are "regulars" who don't even have to give an order because the waitress knows. Places like Balthazar or Zoe cater to the more "hip" crowd with prices to go with that.
Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 09:49 AM

Personally, when I travel and I see a place that claims it is typical, I run in the other direction. I always think I want better than typical.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:14 PM
DMG

I also say try to eat at Balthazar. We still think of it as one of the most fun breakfast (brunch) experiences we have had.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 07:51 PM

Count me in on the Balthazar recommendation as well; it attracts a mix of locals and tourists of all ages and is my fave in Soho.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:45 PM

Minority rport

The bread and the bakery at Balthazar are spectacular even if the bakery is oddly designed to fit very few customers while there are yards of unused space behind the counter.

The food is fine but not exceptional and overpriced for a French bistro. It gathered momentum of its own as a celebrity hangout years ago with cries "There's Bobby" (De Niro.)

There are a number of French bistros downtown that are equally good, less costly, and without the the great anticiaption that a celebrity may pass by. These include Casimir, Flea Market, Cafe Deville, and Lucien.

It is a known factor that trades on its name.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:01 AM

If you want to head to Tribeca try Bubby's.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:49 AM

If you need a brunch in Tribeca on a Saturday try City Hall restaurant (closed Sundays) and on Sunday try Capsouto Freres, they make superior s0uffles.

Bubby's is a more family oriented establishment often completed by misbeheaving children (and long waits).