Reload this Page >

new york accommodations

Search

new york accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 06:39 PM
craig

new york accommodations

does anyone know of any hotels or b&b's in manhatten or the chelsea area that don't cost an arm and a leg to stay in?

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Sam

No, Craig, we don't...what do you mean by "an arm and a leg." $100? $150? $200??

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 09:05 PM
craig

would like to keep it around the $100 area if not cheaper...if such a place exists...called a couple of B&B's and they wanted $130-$150....always thought B&B's were supposed to be a deal...yikes!

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 09:21 AM
Clea

Actually in the most recent Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine they list about 10 hotels in Manhattan in the $100 or less range. I haven't stayed in any of them but the pictures in the magazine looked pretty nice.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 11:09 AM
Sara

Craig, I'd be VERY skeptical of anything in Manhattan for under $100 a night.

B&Bs come in all sizes and shapes, from modest to ultra luxe. I've stayed in some pricey ones, too, but the experiences have been worth it.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 12:31 PM
clea

I wouldn't necessarily be skeptical, but just make sure you are in a good part of town and do as much research as you can on the hotel you choose.

I was very surprised when looking at that article in Budget Travel at how nice the places looked. A lot of them had been newly refurbished, and for the most part they were very convenient areas. I'm sure the rooms are small, but they are small everywhere in NYC.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 01:43 PM
lisa

One hotel that has been well-reviewed and recommended in several travel publications lately is the Habitat Hotel. It is in midtown Manhattan. I haven't stayed there but the location is great. Supposedly they have some rooms under $100 with a shared bathroom, and rooms with private bath for over $100.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 06:50 PM
anon

I agree w/above. NYC hotels under $150 a night might be real dives.
Check a triple a guide or try Timeout New York. The later has a web site.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 08:11 PM
Caitlin

This is just not so; if you are willing to share a bath, you can get a decent, if plain, double for $1oo. Check, the Habitat, the Murray Hill Inn, the Pickwick Arms, Crlton Arms, Belleclaire. All are in fine locations.

Old Sep 5th, 2000, 08:33 PM
Owen O'Neill

I'm the last one to question the accuracy of Frommer's or Fodor's but have found no decent hotels in NYC under $100 that have private bath included with the room. I've called many hotels that were listed in one or both sources as $100 or less and never found a room for that price. My suspicion is that a very limited number of rooms are offered at that price and the remaining rooms are typically a minimum of $120 and up. I've made numerous phone calls at different times of the year and always had the same results. Having said that... I have gotten very decent rooms (small, but nice and clean and in good neighborhoods) for $118-130 per night at The Hotel New Yorker, The Stanford, Radio City Apartments, and HoJo (Park Ave South location - the room I had at the HoJo 34th Street was sub-par). I've also tried a hotel with shared bath for $80 per night and was well pleased as a solo traveler who spent little time in the room. If traveling with a spouse or significant other I much prefer the convenience and privacy of a bath in the room. I have also investigated (and been in the lobbies of but not seen the rooms) the the Hotel Wolcott, the Herald Square and the Grand Union - all are decent bargain choices in midtwon and range from $110-130 for a single. Weekend and off season specials do exist and the consolidators (e.g. Quikbook and others) sometimes have great deals. The hard fact is that occupancy rates have been very high in NYC for the past few years and tourism remains strong. I'm the first one to jump on a good deal but if the "regular" every-day price is under $100, I'd investigate carefully and post here to get feedback before committing to a stay.

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 01:37 AM
craig

thanks all for your advice...very helpfull!!!