New Years in Portland OR

Search

New Years in Portland OR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Years in Portland OR

We will be visiting family in Portland over the holidays. We thought it would be nice to finish our trip with two nights at either an upscale/luxury hotel in the city or a resort/lodge within an hour or so drive. I'd like access to a spa and a nice restaurant. I've seen recommendations for the Benson, Riverplace and 5th Avenue Suites. We stayed at The Govenor (?) once a few years ago but other than a nice tree in the lobby I don't recall much of the rooms. And, we'll be travelling with a toddler but we are hoping to convince our niece to babysit so we can go out for a nice dinner on New Years Eve. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:16 AM
jgg

I'm surprised the usual Oregon posters haven't chimed in on this one, so I will. Of the places you mentioned I would definitely pick the 5th Avenue Suites. Great location, service and with a suite you will have so much more room with your toddler.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:09 AM
pdx

It's been years since I was there but I still would recommend the Vintage Plaza Hotel. Big bathtub to hang out in. Pazzo's Restaurant downstairs is very good. But go to the Heathman for breakfast. Split the eggs benedict, they are too rich for one person. Fresh oj, good coffee. Then go back to your room for a nap! Life is good.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:26 AM

I will chime in!

5th Avenue Suites.
Much nicer than the Govenor and nicer than the Riverplace (which has smaller rooms and is down by the river where a huge amount of construction is going on)
Pazzo is very nice for dinner..
Benson I don't know anything about other than don't like the location as much.
The great thing (one of them) about the 5th Ave Suites is the Suites. Every room is huge, beautifully furnished and service is great.
Free coffee in the am and wine in the afternoons.
Parking in/under the hotel.
Sounds like a fun way to celebrate the holidays!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 09:20 AM

I'm chiming in here because I can't think of anything constructive to say on most of the rest of the threads. Like Scarlett, I'm a local Portlander, so of the three you mention, I've only stayed in the Benson. And I agree with Scarlett, its (Benson's) location is not as good, and rooms are small. You'll have a lot of nice restaurant options within a short walk of the Fifth Avenue Suites. The thing I'm not sure about is a spa. Do you know if there one nearby Fifth Ave. Suites Scarlett?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 11:33 AM
jgg

There is an Aveda Spa right next door.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM

ttt & good example of a travel thread...
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everone who provided input. For those who are curious or thinking of a similar way to spend New Years...I booked on the hotel website what I believe to be a great rate at 5th Avenue Suites. It is the so called "romance package" (a bit of wishful thinking in light of the toddler): $189 night for a double double suite, free parking, champagne, rose petals (which the toddler will undoubtably try to eat), breakfest in the room and late check-out. When I tried best available rate for a similar room it was $209 on the 31st but jumped to $500 on Jan. 2 for a nightly average of $354 (and none of the extra touches).

I will check out the Aveda spa and now need to pick some places for dinner. Any recommendations other than Pazzo's (which sounds good and the toddler loves pasta)? How is Red Star Tavern in the hotel? Does anyone have another restaurant to suggest for New Year's Eve (it need not be for a midnight celebration, just a nice dinner out)?

Thanks again for all the posts.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:28 AM

The 5th Avenue Suites is very nice, like the others have said. I have not been to the Aveda Spa, but in case you need another option, try Dosha. I have been there several times and like it. The Red Star Tavern is very good and of course being right there is convenient with a toddler.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:09 AM

Hi!
Fantastic rate! I am sure you will be happy with it. Parking is $25 a night, so that makes it an even better deal
The Red Star is excellent. Service and food are great, chef is sorta famous in chef circles lol.
if you like Thai- about 2 blocks and around a corner from the hotel is a wonderful place called Typhoon. First time we ate there, an infant 'sat' next to me so your little one will be welcome too .
Just for the two of you?
Pazzo-Italian at the Vintage hotel.
The dining room at the Heathman hotel..
It is early for me right now and I cannot think but there is a place with a fireplace that I will look for and let you know..that would be great for you at that time of year.
What a very nice way to celebrate New Years!

Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 08:51 AM

*ps*
my list of restaurants so far that I recommend.
Piazza Italia on Johnson
Giorgios on NW Hoyt
Olea on NW Glisan
Mothers on Second Ave
Papa Haydn on NW 23rd (dessert)
Paragon on NW Hoyt (lunch)
Pho Van on NW Glisan (lunch or a romantic dinner)
Sin Ju onNW Johnson - great sushi, gorgeous restaurant
Henrys Tavern, casual dinner/lunch -NW 12th & Burnside
Hope this helps
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 09:36 AM

What, Scarlett??? No Bluehour, Paley's Place, Wildwood, Hurleys, Clarklewis, Gotham Bldg. Tavern, or Park Kitchen????

Have you had the caesar with calamari at Paragon? It's the ONLY thing my wife has there now. And are you going to Art in the Pearl this weekend? Silly question, I guess.... Just step outside and you're in the middle of it.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:44 AM

Hi beachbum!
We have not actually been to Paleys yet, although I hear it is a lovely restaurant..
Higgins did not appeal to me when given the choice lol, eventually though. I don't want to go over to the East side yet because we get lost enough over here on the West side, and there are sooo many places to try here first.
I DO want to go to Park Kitchen, Pup and Yankee walk by there every morning..I wouldn't mind living on that block either!
We went to the First Thursday, it was a bit quiet but was livened up by the best Brazilian Carnival style band, fab drums and 2 pretty girls in skimpy outfits dancing, they marched up the street with everyone in tow, dancing too...quite fun!
This weekend is the Arts and Crafts Fair in the Park Blocks, we are on our way over after shopping at the Farmers Market.
I am soooo in love with Portland
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 10:46 AM

sorry- about the Paragon Calamari..the Yankee has been doing his own little private taste test of all the restaurants and their calamari and Paragon has won it hands down so far.
We have not had it in a salad, he eats it straight..I love their mushroom cigars LOL
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:18 AM

Hi Scarlett,

I wasn't really expecting those places I listed to show up as your faves, though most are quite good. They're the ones that ***usually*** show up when someone asks for Portland restaurant recommendations.

We probably won't make it to the Arts Festival until Monday. We're gonna try Tuscany Grill on NW 21st for the first time tonight. So many restaurants, so little time. Yeah... Portland really is a great place to live.
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 03:45 PM

beachbum, we were there last night, on 21st. Saw the Chinese film at Cinema 21. I wanted to stop at Cafe Mingo or Tuscany Grill but big crowds chased us home to Henrys
I have more faves, lol, I am not really cooking yet. I have convinced the Yankee that once it starts raining and is chilly, we will stay in more and cook.
I have a little while longer to think of another excuse
Enjoy tonights dinner!
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to your posts I have lodging for New Years and a couple of dinner suggestions. Though I grew up in the Northwest and have visited Portland many times, I though I'd approach this trip more as I would a vacation, actually see some of the city. I picked up "Secret Portland" but didn't find the other traditional guidebooks very interesting. We have 5 days in Portland to visit family, see old friends and explore. We will probably not go winetasting (we did that a few years ago pre-toddler and had a terrific time).

I am putting together a list of things that we might see or do during our holiday visit to Portland. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Kids Stuff:
Oregon Zoo
CM2 - Children's Museum
OMSI (Science Museum)

Food Stuff:
Where can I go for the best chocolate Portland has to offer?
Any recommended burgers and/or brew pub?
The mexican/southwest restaurant Santa Fe sounded good - any recs?
What about Brasserie Montmartre?
I have Typhoon on the list for Thai (thanks Scarlett)
Afternoon Tea?

Shopping for Stuff:
Finnegans Toys and Gifts (never been but sounded fun for the little one);
Rejuvination for some vintage/reproduction lighting;
Hannah Andersson outlet (we found some great deals on kids clothes there last year);
The Real Mother Goose, any other art galleries, handcrafts, pottery etc;
The Pearl (any must stops other than Powells) and that place for luxury linens (I forgot the name);
Twenty-third Avenue for more shopping; any other shopping areas or stores worth the trip?

Inasmuch as we'll also be with family we will probably not get to everything on my list but I thought I might make a few suggestions this year to see a little more of what Portland has to offer. Thanks for your help.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 09:36 AM

Food Stuff:
Where can I go for the best chocolate Portland has to offer?
There is a place on NW 23rd and one around the 5th Ave Suites that have wonderful chocolates. Someone else will probably have names, I am such a newbie, I forget everything right away lol.

Any recommended burgers and/or brew pub?
Brew and burgers etc to me would be Henrys Tavern with the Ice Bar. Every kind of food that anyone could want with 200 beers and great desserts ( you see, I know what is important )

The mexican/southwest restaurant Santa Fe sounded good - any recs?
What about Brasserie Montmartre?
We have to try them again, everyone loves Brasserie Montmartre and we did not..but I will try again, lunch outside maybe.

I have Typhoon on the list for Thai (thanks Scarlett)
You are welcome~
Afternoon tea? I don't know but I will see what the real Portlanders say and put it on My list

Shopping for Stuff:

Rejuvination for some vintage/reproduction lighting; Great!
In the Pearl- Lux and Bella Casa

The Pearl -(my neighborhood) all the shops, it is worth just walking in and out of the stores and stopping for drinks when you get weary..The linens would be French Quarter...sigh, wonderful.

Twenty-third Avenue for more shopping; any other shopping areas or stores worth the trip?
Urbino...across the street from Papa Haydns..wonderful things for the home and wonderful linens and soaps and candles as well as very expensive 'stuff' for the home.
I don't even know the names of most of the stores, we just walk in and out of them ... Love 23rd Ave!
You are going to have such a good time
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Scarlett gave you a great rundown. We also really enjoy Henry's and Mother's. Mama Mia's is owned by the same lady as Mother's and is very good as well. Moonstruck Chocolates are great, and they are up on 23rd near Glisan. I am not sure of other locations in the city since I usually go to Lake Oswego for them (I live in the 'burbs). Mio Gelato is across from Powells and is a must stop for anyone, especially a toddler OMSI is always fun, even for adults.
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Hi mms, thanks!
Mio Gelato has a chocolate menthe gelato that has become addictive !
The chocolate place near the hotel is a famous Swiss chocolatier...hmmm, I will have to go over and get the name, just the name, I won't buy any chocolate..lol~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -