New Year's Eve in NOLA

Search

New Year's Eve in NOLA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Year's Eve in NOLA

We are staying for New Year's Eve, but from what I've read on this site, that might be a mistake. We are middle 50's who do not drink that much, but enjoy dancing, and also not wanting to spend too much money. Let's say over $200. Any suggestions (already booked the plane). Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 05:51 PM

I'm not sure what your question is. Have you booked airfare but not a hotel? If that's the case, you may have a problem. Over the New Year's Eve holiday, minimum stays are required and hotel prices are at a premium. Exactly what do you want to know?
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, to be so vague. I know Fodorites can be very generous with information, but you're not mindreaders. What can we do on New Year'e Eve that can be fun without doing much drinking and not spending too much money ( no more than $200). The plane tickets have been purchased; we have 5 nights reserved already at the Omni Crescent. So any suggestions?
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:14 PM

Since you've already got tickets, it's too late to suggest going elsewhere. I can't offer any suggestions, other than to say that you probably should find a place outside of the French Quarter. Perhaps some posters from NO can help.
With the Sugar Bowl game taking place around that time, the French Quarter is not the place for you to be, based on your description of you and your husband.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:07 PM

I would book a great restaurant NOW. We lived there for 5 years and loved the Pelican Club. It is tucked away in the French Quarter and is truly fabulous. Of course, Emeril has several restaurants there...all good but our favorite was NOLA. The white chocolate bread pudding at The Palace Cafe is wonderful...a Brennan's restaurant. I can't remember the name of it now but Brennan's opened a newer one in the Quarter...Redfish Grill?? and the shrimp po-boy (fried and tossed in a garlic-lemon-butter sauce then served on French Bread) is also wonderful. OK...alright already...I may join you. I'm with you...I'd spend my $ on the food and then soberly walk around the Quarter (waterfront area during fireworks) people watching...nothing like that! End your night with coffee with chicory and benignet's at Cafe du Monde!
Old Sep 7th, 2003, 10:45 AM

That weekend will be very crowded in the FQ due to the Sugar Bowl...college crowds come in early for the game. Will be a fairly young, rowdy crowd.

One possibility for you might be the Blue Room at the Fairmont. I'm not sure that they will have something on NY Eve, but I believe they normally do. Usually a 'big-band" type of evening. No idea about costs...sorry!

The Monteleone usually also caters to an older crowd (by that, I mean not college kids or young singles)... they may have something like what you are looking for.

I wouldn't worry too much about it yet... in another month or so, you can start checking out websites for specific things going on at different hotels. There is something for everyone in our great city!

Anne
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:25 PM

Well, I just booked an unbelievable deal for a hotel room at the Holiday Inn Express. I know it isn't 4 star but it was only $56 during the weekdays (inc. New Year's eve and day) and only $112 on Friday and Sat. I booked it through the Holiday Inn Website. I heard that the hotel is decent (from reviews posted on tripadvisor.com's message board) and the location is a block away from the French Quarter so it will be quieter. Have fun!