Search

New to NC!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to NC!

Moved to Bunn, NC about 35 miles NE of Raleigh(between Raleigh & Rocky Mount). My husband & I just retired from NJ and would appreciate some tips on travel sites. Since I have a health problem, we stay away from hiking. We don't want historical revolutionary landmarks. But we love mountains, lakes & nature(gardens, wildlife, etc.). We've been to the Duke Gardens, which were awesome! How about the Great Smoky Mountains? Oh, we've already seen Chimney Rock(Ashville area)a few years back.
Thanks so much for any info.
Phyl
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Welcome to NC. As a native and lifelong resident, congrats on picking NC for retirement. But I have to ask: Bunn?

Okay, now that I've been rude, let me tell you of a big secret: our state parks are wonderful and free. There is one up near Rocky Mount that I haven't been to yet. Over towards the mountains are Pilot Mtn., South Mtn., Stone Mtn., and the one I can't think of right now (NE of Winston-Salem) maybe it's hanging rock?

For gardens visit the Raulston gardens at NCSU and the Daniel Stowe gardens near Charlotte.

In the Brevard/Translyvania county area are a bunch of waterfalls. Their CVB has info on finding and visiting them.

Take a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway, and stop to visit the Moses Cone home. From there drive north to Mabry Mill and the Meadows of Dan.

Spend a weekend in Wilmington and visit the Orlie gardens and the city park that is lovely and has a lake and beautiful flowers/shrubs/landscaping. I don't know the name of it, but I sure someone at the Wilmington CVB can tell you. Also visit the USS North Carolina and the stores along Front St. Can also take a boat trip either downstream and see the port activities or up into the cypress swamp.

Head over to the public library and read back issues of "Our State" magazine. They have lots of ideas. However, some of the towns they suggest for a weekend visit could be done in 1/2 day. The library should also have a book on NC State Parks.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:44 AM

Know exactly where Bunn is. I am originally from Henderson and played on a summer baseball team in Louisburg. Admittedly, I am heavily into history, so my first inclination is to name historical spots. I will steer clear of purely historical spots due to your request but may mention a few of more interest than your basic Civil War battlefield. I will include places within 4-5 hours drive.

The Outer Banks offer numerous lighthouses and other sites to see. The Blue Ridge Parkway, part of which you may have seen in Asheville, is a nice drive, and you can find more great spots of this type in the Shenandoah Valley. Harpers Ferry, WV is a beautiful spot, where you can appreciate more than history. There are several old plantations along the river from Petersburg to Williamsburg. Charleston, SC is one of my favorite destinations of any type. You don't have to love history to appreciate its beautiful old homes, nice beaches, and fabulous food. Stay in an inn right in the historical distict for the best experience.

I am not sure which places you visited near Chimney Rock and Asheville, but there are many waterfalls you can see from the road or not far off, in the Brevard area (south of Asheville). If you have not been to Biltmore Estate in Asheville, then that is a great choice.

Since you liked Duke Gardens, you may also like a visit to the botanical garden in Chapel Hill or Duke Chapel (big church next to Duke Gardens).

There are interesting science museums in Durham and Raleigh, although they are really geared toward kids. The North Carolina Museum of Art, between Durham and Raleigh, makes a nice visit.

Other places that make fairly easy trips by car from around there include Richmond (heavy on history though) and Washington, D.C.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 09:49 AM

This is too funny ncgrrl. We posted at essentially the same time, and you mentioned the Meadows of Dan. Now I haven't visited those, but it sounds like I must get a photo with the sign when I do get out that way. Yes, the place near Winston-Salem is Hanging Rock. I have been there once for photography. It does require a bit of hiking to appreciate fully, most of which is easy and some of which is climbing up and down rocks that are not so easy to negotiate.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Really, I'm not putting down Bunn, but most people moving to the state don't put it high on places to move to. My guess you wanted a small town near major medical facilities. And if that's what you were looking for, you found it.

I'm not into serious hiking and most of the parks I recommend have views from the parking lot and picnic tables. However, at South Mtn. there is about a 3 mile loop with elevation to see a waterfall. So that one might be out for you. I went to Stone Mtn many years ago and did the loop up and over and wouldn't recommend that loop if you have bad health problems, but you can look at the mountain. This isn't like Stone Mtn. near Atlanta, just a pretty rock face with goats, no carvings.

Another thought is the Great Dismal Swamp in the North-Eastern part of the state. Don't know much about it but I think it has one of the few (only) visitors' center accessible by boat.

Dan, Meadows of Dan is pretty easy to get to. From Durham, I'd take 40 to Hillsborough (food exit) then 86 north into Virginia and take 58 west. I think there is a sign. Nice, vast open mountain view. Worst part of the trip is Durham to CH on the interstate.
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Now I have a secret ncgrrl! I had a house built on a 3 mile lake called Lake Royale. It is a gated community of all ages(school buses zip around the lake). We originally heard about it through a young waitress in Raleigh. Close by, we have access to a nice golf course. It's like a separate world from Bunn. But Bunn was recognized on a recent game question on Regis & Kelly. LOL! I went to the JC Raulston Arboretum in April, very nice. Haven't been out to Charlotte. Been to the waterfalls around Brevard. We looked there & Hendersonville for a house, but too pricey. Haven't been to the Biltmore, but hear it's also beautiful during the Xmas holiday.

Thanks for your tips. If you have any other suggestions, wouldn't mind them. By the way, where are you located in NC?
Old Jul 26th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Hey Dan!
Well, I was a former elementary teacher, but I grew up with a dad who was a brilliant US History Teacher. Lots of history lessons!!! Actually, our son graduated from Richmond,so have toured there. And my daughter & son-in-law live near Fairfax,Va., so we have done lots in the DC area. We took a trip to W.Va. about 4-5 yrs. ago. I think that it was around Elk.
We've done the skyline drive. I would like to see some lighthouses that you mentioned. Thanks!
I've been to Boone, Blowing Rock(gem mines) & to Harrah's. Nothing at all like Atlantic City. I'm spoiled cause it was less than 2 hours from my home. Have you traveled to Tenn.? Gatlinburg? I grew up on the Jersey shore, so I'll have to see what the coast is like in NC.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:21 AM

You will definitely have to check out the coast. Some great areas have already been mentioned. Some of the most interesting places to visit include: Nags Head to Hatteras area (lighthouses, Wright Brothers memorial, Jockey's Ridge [huge sand dune]), Ocracoke (quaint and less inhabited - one of the few places I haven't been yet), and Wilmington (nice, quieter beaches at Kure and Carolina Beach, old Civil War fort, aquarium, battleship, historic areas and good food in Wilmington). A lot of people go to Myrtle Beach, SC too. I just went for the first time in a decade (two kids now). It is great for kids, but the traffic has grown a lot worse, some parts are quite cheesy, and there are lots of people. Do try Charleston too; most visitors love it. I haven't been to Gatlinburg. Do a search on here for information. Many love it, and many hate it. If you want to see more about Charleston, you can take a look at my personal Web site at www.oneeyed.homestead.com.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Dan, your pictures are so awesome! I sent the link for NYC to my son, who lives there. He lives on the Upper eastside near 66th st. He & his girlfriend tecently went across the Brooklyn Bridge, so I know he will be impressed.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 07:52 AM

Hey ncphyl, I'm in Durham. You should come back and see a Durham Bulls game. If you have young ones visiting they would love the playground at the ballpark and the NC Museum of Life and Science. It sounds like you found a lovely community for your golden years. This summer has been unusally cool and wet so it has been a better introduction for you.

Come fall I'd suggest walking around UNC and Duke campuses but not on football Saturdays. Both campuses are beyond beautiful. You should really check out the "Our State" magazine for more ideas. If you like B&B's there area bunch of advertisements in the back. Sometimes Southern Living will feature a special (advertising usualy) section on the area. Another good source for finding travel destinations. About all bookstores and libraries get Southern Living.

And even though you said you didn't want rev. or civil war cites, you should think about visiting one when there are re-enactors there. It helps visualize what the troops went through.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 01:45 PM

ncgrrl,
I didn't realize UNC and Duke were still fielding football teams.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 02:39 PM
bonniebroad

What ARE you saying??? Of course, Duke and UNC are fielding football teams!!! I know the basketball teams put'em in the shade, BUT......... we still like our football games down here!

Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Tongue firmly in cheek.

I, too, live in North Carolina, and sometimes it's hard to remember that both schools do, in fact, still play football. It's just that all anyone cares about is hoops, and, well...they both really, really suck in football.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Well, it gives the stadium some other use than graduation ceremonies. Also is an excuse to have a tailgate party.

And if UNC didn't have a football stadium, Bruce Springsteen wouldn't have come last year.

Remember it was only a few years back when UNC had a top 5 football team. And 60+ years ago Duke played in the Rose Bowl at Duke.
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 08:19 AM

UNC will be back someday. At least they have one of the country's most beautiful stadiums. Duke, well... The new league will not be kind to the Blue Devils. Were you at the Springsteen concert too ncgrrl? I don't know how I missed you. I was also at the last concert at Kenan waaaaaaaaaay back in 1983.