New Otani Kaimana versus Hawii Prince?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are considering both the Hawaii Prince and the Otani for May 07 for a two week stay. Ideally we are looking for somewhere a bit out of the hustle and bustle of Waikiki but not so far that we can't get there by a quick bus journey. We are also looking for more economical accomodation for my younger brother and his partner not too far away from Hawaii Prince if anyone has any suggestions. There seem to be plenty within reach of the Otani. We have no experience of booking direct with Waikiki hotels either as we usually book an Expedia package or go through a travel agent. Feedback on peoples experience of this with either hotel would be appreciated.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 08:49 AM

The hotels are at opposite ends and offer very different things. The Prince is more convenient to transportation and shopping, while the Otani is closer to Diamond Head and the beach. I like the Prince property myself; the rooms are great and the service is wonderful at every level. as for pricing...Kal got a room at the Prince through Priceline last year, which made it quite a deal. that may be an option for you as you shop for yourself and your brother.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Melissa. I heard that the shuttle from the Prince doesn't start up intil mid morning. Is there a bus service nearby that we would be able to use instead ? Any idea how long the shuttle takes to get in to Waikiki ?
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:29 AM

For what it's worth, we stayed at the New Otani Kamaina a few years back and loved it. We had a room with a balcony and an incredible view of the Honolulu skyline. We walked to restaurants downtown in the evening and were then happy to get back to our hotel in the quieter area. Cocktails on our balcony and listening to the ocean at night (we were on the 2nd floor so we could just leave our sliding glass doors open) were highlights of our trip.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:35 AM

One thing to keep in mind about the Otani is that it is tailored for Japanese clients, and everything is on the small side. Things aren't child-sized, but if you're above average in height or weight it could be an issue.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:43 AM
Kal

Kal who...???

From what I recall there was a bus stop right in front of the hotel.

Really liked the hotel. Good marina view.
Good fish buffett on Friday night at their restaurant.

Nice walk to Waikiki.
Short walk to Ala Moana Mall and the whack Os at Longhi's.
I think we did get it for a little over $100 on Hotwire or P'line.

We'd stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 02:57 PM

The Kals know!

As for the shuttle....not sure about that. To get IN to Waikiki by bus, maybe 5 minutes. If you are able, then walking is not a bad option. The entire stretch of Waikiki is about 2 miles, just to give you an idea of time & distance.
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Just have to talk things over with my brother now. Kal, can we use Priceline from the UK ?
Old Oct 24th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Kal

Hey mate!
Do not know but they do have hotels on Priceline in London, Rome etc so I assume so???

I think it has a priceline.com.uk???
Old Oct 27th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kal. I'll have a look at that for another time 'cos we just booked the Prince through Expedia. Can't wait :0) Roll on May !!! I've just been told on another forum that the Prince is in one of the busiest parts of Waikiki. Is that right ? It didn't look that way on the map.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 01:53 AM

I've stayed at the Prince several times with a beautiful room and great view, but my favorite area is the Otani. We often venture over there for an afternoon drink.
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 09:26 AM

MelissaHI commented about getting a room at the Prince through Priceline. Can someone tell me how to do that? I know they will offer you a price and identify the hotel, but how do you get a better rate by bidding and be assured you are getting the Prince?