Reload this Page >

New Orleans: Yes or No?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 10:39 PM
monica

My husband & I are planning a vacation, and we've heard good and downright awful things about New Orleans. If you've been there would you recommend it for us. Here's our stats:
Were both 35 yrs old. College educated, professional. We are not into the "Got drunk and had a great time" scenario. We usually stay in better hotels and eat at better restaurants. We live in Santa Monica, California. I know it sounds like were yuppie snobs, but we really are nice people!

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 03:48 AM
Bryant

Go! New Orleans is a wonderful city with many great restaurants, clubs, museums, and attractions. Many people do Bourbon Street once and then do other things the rest of their stay, in fact. It's an old city, with the charms and negatives that come with being 300 years old! I think it's definitely a place you should experience.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:26 AM
Lily

Hi Monica,

My husband and I are your age and also both professionals. We just returned from NOLA in June and had a great time!

The French Quarter scene was fun but I wouldn't plan to spend a week there. If you have never been there why not try it?

We actually stayed at a B & B in St. Francisville for the first few days and drove up through Mississippi. On the weekend we dropped the rental car at the airport and taxied into New Orleans. It was a great way to see the best of LA.

If you drink at all New Orleans is THE place to do it - we visited at 4 great jazz & blues clubs and only got tipsy one night! The food was great everywhere.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:58 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Monica, we're a lot like you (a touch younger and probably drink more) and we love New Orleans. There are many "better" hotels to choose from and the restaurants are fantastic (we usually spend more in restaurants than on the hotel). Take restaurant recommendations from this forum and make reservations in advance.

I do agree with Lily that a week may be a bit long. We find that 4 days/3 nights is perfect (allowing for 3 dinners). As you're travelling a bit farther than we do, you could maybe tie in a visit to Alabama or Florida Panhandle beaches.

Oh, and we recently visited your city, and I feel no more uncomfortable walking around the French Quarter at night than we did around Santa Monica (we had a great time, btw).

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 06:16 AM
texasgirl

another vote for going from a thirty-something professional couple. new orleans is one of the best food towns in the US _ we have had some of the best meals of our lives there, and my boyfriend is a chef and a food snob. the architecture (especially in garden district) is gorgeous. i wouldn't spend too much time in the quarter either. in fact, you might be happier at a hotel like the international house or the brand new ritz carlton, both right on the edge of the quarter, or in a b&b in the garden district. i agree, three or four days is enough. (after that, you can't eat any more rich food and you really want to get to the gym!)

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 07:57 AM
John

Just an FYI...the Ritz Carlton hasn't opened yet. They're shooting for December, but I'll be surprised if it happens before February.

I'll add to the chorus...come to New Orleans so you can draw your own conclusions about the town. I suspect you'll love it!

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 08:07 AM
NadeneCros

YES YES YES YES! I too am a "30 something professional" and loved New Orleans. Even the seedier side of NO was kind of intoxicating and not to be missed. NO is very unique and a great place to go for food, culture, and the finer things in life. Just don't forget to stop by Bourban Street. The ghost/vampire tours are really cool too.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 09:54 AM
Christina

I recommend staying at the Windsor Court in New Orleans. It is an absolutely fabulous hotel, and will have competition when the Ritz-Carlton does open. It is outside of the quarter on Gravier Street. Their restaurant "The Grill Room" is excellent.

The International House Hotel is a block or two over from the Windsor.

If you like rack of lamb, The Pelican Club in Exchange Alley is a culinary delight. Also, the bread is to die for.

Gamay's Bistro and Bar Restaurant in the Bienville Hotel, which is the 300 block of Decatur Street is wonderful, too.

House of Blues is in the 200 block of Decatur Street.

There is a wonderful aquarium, great zoo, and a scenic ride on the Natchez all available to you.

My husband and I lived in the area for over 25 years, and go back at least five times a year to visit. We are just a 3 hour drive away now.

You must go!!!

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 01:03 PM
texasgirl

thanks for posting about the ritz. when i was there this spring the convention people swore up and down it would be open by aug. 1 (though looking at the shell of a building, i couldn't figure out how that would be possible..)
one more thing, the restaurants we liked best were dick and jenny's (a small place out of touristy area), cuvee, (attached to st. james hotel), and nola, which i like better than emeril's other stuff....

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 10:52 PM
Monica

Thank you everyone for the info! We were hesitant about New Orleans after reading the various threads attached to the "Been there, done that, don't bother" posting on this forum.
To the people responded to my question: Let me say that you all sound like you have excellent taste, and my husband and I value your opinions! In other words....New Orleans here we come!

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 08:32 PM
Rob

We are around your age, and were hesitant about New Orleans as well. We just came back last night, and I'm glad that we went. Let me warn you that it is rather obnoxious and disgusting. But there is a lot of beauty there, too. If you're going to venture down Bourbon Street, do it early in the evening, and on a weeknight. It's fairly tame then. Later, it becomes pretty bad. Be sure to make a stop at Preservation Hall (off of Bourbon St--near Pat O'Brien's) to hear some great jazz. They start around 8:30 and go until midnight. It may be crowded when you first get there, but be patient. Many people just stay for a short while, then leave--leaving you room to move up to a better spot. You'll never forget it! We stayed at Le Pavillon, and it was excellent!! It's in the Central Business District, and was close enough to everything that we wanted to see. N.O. is really a city that you can do on foot. The things that are further out, like a Swamp Tour (I suggest "Louisiania Swamp Tours"), and Plantation Tours (I suggest Grey Line Tours) have shuttle services to your hotel. Also, Bayona's (Dauphne St) and Mr. B's Bistro (Royal St.) are great places to eat. And you must stop at Cafe Du Monde (Decatur St) for some beignets, and a tall iced coffee to cool you off! Have Fun!

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 08:51 PM
julie

I think everyione should visit NO once. We lived there fo almost 5 years, and while we loved it at the time, would not consider staying there for various reasons. One is the environment, very endangered, water that you drink comes from the Mississippi river, and guess where it has been before you drink it. It is really clean from a bacteria standpoint, but lots of heavy metals. People from LA have I larger than normal incidence of organ cancer's, Ihave been told. Also, the river road has many refineries along it's banks, that spew (sp?) toxic wastes in to the air. Also, the school system is very lacking, etc., etc., but for a Visit, yes!! it is lots of fun, good music, good vibes, good food, culture, etc., and the natives are the friendliest Ihave ever known. I would definitely go for a visit. Try to go in the late fall ( October) when it is not so humid and hot, and try not to be there when there is a big convention in town. Hope you have a good time.