Reload this Page >

2 Days in Jersey or PA

Search

2 Days in Jersey or PA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:32 AM
Heidi

2 Days in Jersey or PA

My family of 5 will be flying into Philadelphia and driving to Allentown soon for a family event. After that's over, we would like to take a day or two by ourselves to unwind. My children are 11, 14 & 15 and get bored very easily. We would like to do something fun. The obvious would be the Jersey shore, but where? I can't seem to find any good websites listing hotels at places other than Atlantic City or Wildwood. Ocean City is out because it's Dry. Our trip will most likely happen in Septmeber. Any Suggestions?
Thanks, Heidi
PS I know I've made this particularly difficult, sorry!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:40 AM
Liz

Please reconsider Ocean City for your family. Why would no alchohol in resaurants be a problem? You could always eat in another nearby town. There are a number of other towns along the coast too, such as Avalon or Cape May, but I would pick Ocean City for a family.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 05:58 AM
Erika

I would agree with the post above. Atlantic City and Wildwood have grown seedier over the past few years. The attract a negative element at times (Wildwood might be better in September when the wild high schoolers/college kids go back to school) Ocean City is wonderful for adolescents, and it is much cleaner and safer. There are also several very good restaurants in Somers Point across the bridge!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 07:01 AM
elaine

Heidi,

I agree with Liz and Erika...Ocean City is a wonderful destination. Most folks dine in Somers Point, Avalon or Sea Isle...all an easy drive from OC.

Have you considered staying in Philadelphia? There is much to see and do in the city and think your children would not be bored. You could also take Amtrak to DC for the day (or even NY).

Steer clear of Atlantic City/Wildwood...

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 11:37 AM
Edith

Your family might want to stay in Allentown to do Dorney Park. They have amusements & a water park. An hour north of Allentown is the pocono mountains. There you can take a rafting trip on the Lehigh or Delaware river. These are a blast especially this year because of all the rain we had. Also in September they have dam release rafting trips for those who are adventurous. Check out whitewaterrafting.com for the exact dates and prices.
Philadelphia has the first national zoo. We also like Penn's landing on the Delaware River and a walk down South Street will surely amuse your family.
Good Luck!!

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 04:37 PM
kam

Agree with most when they recommend staying in Ocean City. Stop in Somer's Point and buy some alcohol, have your cocktails at home. It's a much healthier area for your kids than Atlantic City or Wildwood---because it's "Dry" you could also let them loose for a bit because OC doesn't attract any people who would be dangerous to the kids. I grew up there and loved it.

Old Jul 14th, 2000, 08:11 PM
gb

I agree with the other posters. Ocean City is probably the best place for kids. I think there is a nice Residence Inn at Somers Point. I think you can bring your own alcohol to you rooms. Cape May is good too, but a little far south. Another consideration from Allentown is a visit to the Poconos Mountains. There are several big lodges,and many small lodges in the area, many with structured activities. It's been awhile since I've been there, so I can't name any. But many some other posters know what is currently going on in the Poconos. Then, in Pa., not far from Allentown, are quite a few historic sites, as Valley Forge National Park, Washington's Crossing Park.

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 09:04 PM
julie

Why not take a day and go downtown PHilly, see the Liberty bell, the hall where they signed the Declaration of Independence, and the musuem that keeps many of Franklin's inventions, then walk about the old town and see the old row houses, it is very historic. If they get bored very easily, they still may be glad that you took them here when they are older and have a chance to reflect upon the great country that was born in Philly.