Reload this Page >

New Orleans, where to stay in December

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 06:22 PM
nlou

My husband and I are considering a first time trip to New Orleans in early December. I made a quick reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn for 109 per night, but would prefer something more "new orleansy." I would love to not need a car for the long weekend and would like to be near the action, but in a quiet spot. We like B&B's if they are the type that give you privacy. A fridge in your room is also a nice asset. A pool is nice too, but required.

Thanks for your recommendations.

NMW

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 06:24 PM
nlou

Meant to say the pool is not required!

Thanks,

nmw

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 08:41 PM
ezron

We had the same dilema, and found the Place d'Arms(sp?). It gave us the "feel" of the Quarter(great location) and price was about $120. We loved it !!

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 03:41 AM
John

Personally, I prefer the residential part of the French Quarter as opposed to the commercial parts or the adjoining Central Business District. The Hilton Garden Inn is a nice little hotel but it's WAY out there if you're on foot. For B&Bs, www.marigny.net is a local directory as is www.bbnola.com (citywide).

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 08:19 AM
laszlo

We too loved the Place D'Armes. Spend the extra money and get a room with a window, though. The inside rooms are pretty tomb-like. Location was unbeatable, just a short walk to Jackson Sq.

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 10:10 AM
nlou

Thanks for the recommendations--keep'm coming! Has anyone heard or stayed at the Dauphine House?

Old Oct 5th, 2001, 10:24 AM
DeEtte

I have stayed at 2 places. First was the Plaza Suite Hotel which is on St.Peters just a couple of blocks from the French Quarter. It was quiet and a short walk to everything especially the Riverwalk. Then I stayed at Mardi Gras Manor which is on Nicholls St. in the French Quarter. This was a great location in a quiet neighborhood. There are several other inns around this area if you get a map. It is nice and quiet. You do not need a car if you are near or in the Quarter. You might consider renting a car for the day to go and visit the plantations. You will have a great time.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:05 AM
nlou

Okay, after checking out the B&Bs I am leaning toward La Maison Marigny. Anybody have any personal recommendations?

nmw

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Been there

Check out www.nolabandb.com. We stayed at the Rosewood for five days in August and absolutely loved it. Rosie is the best host you'll ever find! We went with another couple and had the whole place to ourselves. There are only two rooms. There's a pool..the place is spotless. I can't say enough about it. Please check it out. Have fun!!

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 09:24 AM
susan

La Maison Marigny gets fabulous reviews.
Though I haven't stayed there yet, I've read lots of extremely favorable posts about it. I'm sure you'll be very pleased with your decision.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 09:37 AM
connie

One of the big travel magazines featured La Maison Marigny last year. (I can't recall which one. Either Conde Nast or Travel and Leisure.) I have not stayed there but the location is what you're looking for.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 03:55 PM
joan

My husband and I took our first 4 night trip to NO last year. Stayed at the Lanaux Mansion on Esplanade, the residential border street of the French quarter. A block to the french market, and eight blocks to the other end of the quarter. We walked everywhere and took the streetcar through the garden district. We were hesitant about a B&B, but this place sold us. Private entrance through a keyed gated courtyard, great continental breakfast - fresh beignets etc - in your room, and lots of amenities. The room was incredibly romantic and very "new orleansy"! Plantation shuttered windows we could open onto street level if we wanted, or close up cozy. We'll go back.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 03:56 PM
joan

almost forgot! The room had a fridge and coffee setup and snacks too.

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:09 AM
Rob

La Maison Marigny was featured in Travel & Leisure as their favorite B&B in New Orleans. It is in the residential part (quiet!) of Bourbon Street in the Faubourg Marigny. They always get great reviews not only for location & ambience but also because of the hosts....John & Dewey.
Rob

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 12:31 PM
nlou

Thanks all, I just made reservations at La Maison Marigny. John was great to work with on the phone and e-mail. Appreciate your advice. Feel free to send ideas of things to do and eat as we are clueless about New Orleans. Thanks again!

nmw

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Diane

Use the Rants and Raves section to pick a few restaurants. I was in Nola last month and someone asked me to pick a restaurant. I checked R&R and since it was a Saturday night and we hadn't made reservations picked Irene's Cuisine. (They take no reservations) You get there, usually have to wait (in a beautiful bar at tables) and the food is simply the best. They say it's "Italian-Creole" cooking -- we found it to be simply outstanding.