Search

Room upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 10:53 AM
john

Room upgrades

Are room upgrades (e.g. scenic to oceanview)generally offered when many rooms are available at hotels in Hawaii? That does seem to be the situation now and may be an added attraction for booking trips at this point in time.

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Russ

TOTALLY depends on the hotel, your travel patterns (are you a frequent guest or program traveler) and, to a great extent, the desk clerk coordinating your check-in.
There is no way to generalize about this, except to say that there is always more OPPORTUNITY for an upgrade when the hotel's hurting for business.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 12:03 AM
leilani

Aloha John,
I agree with Russ. Upgrades are not normally offered. The best way to get an upgrade is simply to ask, rather than demand. Usually there are several categories of rooms between the minimum category up to ocean view. Now more than ever, there are alot of specials out there. Consider booking into an Ocean view room, as it may be had for the normal minimum category rate. Aloha

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 08:24 AM
scigirl

I've frequently been upgraded just by asking when I check in - very important that you joint the hotel's 'frequent guest' program before you arrive. Almost all chains have a frequent guest program and you can sign-up on line, get your membership number, and then call the hotel and give them the number to attach to your reservation before you arrive. Even without 'status' in the program (e.g. a history of staying at the hotels a lot) you often get a better shot at being upgraded just because of the membership. This has worked for me in many places, including the Maui Sheraton - can't imagine that it would be significantly different now.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Joy

Hi, Is a room upgrade given at booking time, or at check-in? I have never utilized this in the past. Thanks very much

Old Oct 7th, 2001, 05:19 PM
Nick

Hi Joy. The room upgrade is usually given at check-in. I have found that inquiring about a business item (like in-room fax machine) has helped me get upgraded in business center hotels. I have also been upgraded when the hotel lost a detail like non-smoking in my reservation. In Philly I ended up in a non-smoking room on the executive floor after the hotel sold-out of standard non-smoking rooms. It often helps if you "sugest" a mid level upgrade while check-in. If oceanview was not offered or available, I would ask for a towers level room with a garden or mountain view. Still a pretty bsweet upgrade. I am going to Hawaii next month using points and I am hoping that my slightly upgraded point status will get me a better room. Aloha!