Reload this Page >

New Orleans - Weather over New Year's

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:03 PM
americaine

A couple friends and I are heading to New Orleans for a week over the New Year holiday. We want to do a couple of walking tours and plan to use walking and public transportation to get around. What is the weather like? I've read 50's and 60's this time of year. That seems warm to those of us from the Midwest, but I am thinking sweaters and a jacket will still be needed. Recommendations??? Thank you!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:10 PM
Mr. Weather

Dear americaine,

You are asking for a weather forecast almost one month in advance. Please keep in mind the National Weather Service has trouble with tomorrow's weather.

That said, I accept the challenge!!

You will have some rain....some sun...a breeze now and then, and occasional clouds. There is no threat of Hurricanes as that season ended the end of November.

I really hope this helps. If you are smart (??), I would plan on wearing layers and checking the forecast a day or two prior to your trip for some very general forecasts.

Mr. Weather

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:14 PM
Americaine

Thanks, Mr. Weather. Layering I will do. That's what I was thinking. I just have the feeling that my friends will not only ditch their heavy winter coats, but also be packing their sandals and shorts at the sounds of 60 degree weather. I'll be sure they add some layers and rain gear. THANKS!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
NO

I was there July of this year and it was entirelly too hot! Do not suggest a walking tour under those conditions.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:57 PM
NO

I was at the Sugar Bowl last year and the overnight low was 25 degrees. It was even colder than I usually experience in the midwest because of the humidity!!

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:00 PM
travellyn

I've been there twice at that time of year.

The first time, several people in our group left coats at home and we had cold, wet weather. I remember someone ended up buying a coat.

The next time, it was chilly, but sunny, so a sweater sufficed.

New Orleans is so damp that the thermometer doesn't have to go too low before you feel cold.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Weather

Americaine:

New Orleans has 11 inches of rainfall in Dec/Jan. It will be cold. 60 probably more like a high. Definately takes coats. Look for cold and rain.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:34 PM
amber

This info is from our New Orleans weather service:
Average Temp in January is 51 degrees.
Average High is 60
Average Low is 40

We have had a record low of 14 and a record high of 83 in January. So you see, as with everything in New Orleans, anything is possible!

No matter what the weather, you will have a great time.
"I gare-rohn-tee!"