Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans: should we go in March or December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just starting to plan (way, way ahead) for a trip to New Orleans. We will either go in December 2010, a full year from now, or in March 2011. Well, I've got this year's spring break and summer trips already planned, so I have to be planning something!!! Anyway, will everything be up and running over the week between Xmas and New Year's? Is that a slow period with things shut down, or is there a big football bowl game there that will make everything super crowded? Also, do they still do the swamp tours in December?

We'll be interested in seeing the aquarium, WWII museum, insectarium, swamp tour, maybe a plantation tour, and general walking around to get the feel of the place. I've only been to NOLA once, when I was a teenager, and the rest of my family (husband and two teenagers) have never been. Any advice or suggestions is appreciated.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM

The Sugar Bowl is Jan 1 every year and expect things to be crowded, but don't know if that will be for the entire week or not. Regardless, expect high prices and no or few bargains. Can't tell you about swamp tours. And certainly toward the end of that week restaurants can be very crowded.

And weather in Dec can be very iffy.

I'd pick March. Though lots of college kids go there for spring break, we've never found it terribly crowded and the weather will be better. Good time to visit some plantations, and explore outdoors NO.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 08:03 PM

I would second the March choice. New Orleans is quite dead (from a tourist's point of view) around Christmas, you won't see gators on the swamp tours that time of year and the foilage will be dormant (brown), and unless you're going for the Sugar Bowl or a team you fancy is being represented, the fans can get quite obnoxious. Another thing to consider is that the museums will not be open on Christmas and New Year's Day. I found that out the hard way before.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, that's good advice! I didn't even think about the gators in the cold weather. Will they be active in March?? We're not at all interested in the college football crowds, so that's a point well taken also. Love this forum!!!
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 09:33 AM

I hate to be the lone dissenter, but I love New Orleans in December. It is true that the gators aren't active in the winter, but to me everything else is perfect, particularly the weather. We have been four times in December and thought it was wonderful. Most of the rest of the year it is unbearably hot and humid and very crowded. It is very special during the Christmas.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 12:03 PM

bobbysue,

It probably depends on people's preferences, but March is usually unbelieveably nice, days in the 70's, nights in the 50's, low humidity, and plenty of sunshine.

December is typically one of the rainier months. There have been over 20 inches (not I'm not lying) this month. So, the possibility for a washout is high. It can also be nice, but more often it is not. You probably got lucky.

I'll give an example. Look at the picture. Of course, the pumps have drained the water out by now, but this goes to show you what the winter can bring in New Orleans. No, this is not a tropical system, it's just normal winter rains enhanced by El Nino:

http://weather.blogs.foxnews.com/200...rleans-soaked/

On the other hand, Spring in New Orleans brings:
http://photos.nola.com/photogallery/...in_spring.html

Also, St. Patrick's Day is a hoot in the Irish Channel in New Orleans.